U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 09:37 AM

38 posts, read 107,823 times
Dew is exactly right. I grew up in Mt. Vernon mear Pelham border and went to Pelham schools for 8 years. Pelham is not a high crime rate. There are more houses available due to taxes just like Dew said.
I was a cop in Mt. Vernon and can tell you there is not a lot of crime in Pelham. There are minor things going on just like in any other small town or village.
Currently, I live in a beautiful area in Yonkers. Most people did not even know it was a part of Yonkers because it is quiet and peaceful. It is not Pelham but nice.
BTW, if you want the best pizza anywhere Pelham Pizza is the place to go. They make the BEST white pizza anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 06:38 AM

413 posts, read 487,254 times
When I moved to New York, I investigated crime rates extensively. Pelham had one of the lowest crime rates in Westchester, according to many reputable sources. The police are outstanding. It's a very safe place to live, where people leave doors unlocked frequently, and children play outside, in yards and on the streets, set up lemonade stands, etc. I've lived here 10 years and know of only one crime victim here -- a robbery victim. (The robbers were caught.) Children walk to school, often alone. Other positive aspects of Pelham are its OK schools, its proximity and ease of commute to NY and major airports, its low housing prices, and its economic diversity. The houses also are pretty. On the downside, as noted above, its downtown is drab and old fashioned.

Some people don't move to Pelham because of the diversity here -- the different cultures and economic situations. For example, the town does not uniformly vote for Democrats, like Hastings, where people move to be around like-minded people... to be around people who would only live on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. Other people like the diversity in Pelham. The town offerings, in general, are slim (no pool). The character of the town, in general, is on the surly side. Children tend not to look at adults in the eye, for example, or even answer questions posed by adults. It's got good and bad points. But safety and ease of commute are plusses.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:49 PM

155 posts, read 283,956 times
One poster commented that Yonkers has a high crime rate bringing down Pelham. If you look at the stats, crime in Yonkers is way below the national average. In 2005, there were only NINE murders in Yonkers, a city of 250,000 people. Yonkers has been on the country's safest city list along with a city of the same size, Huntington Beach, California.

As a matter of fact, Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, and the Bronx are closer to Pelham than Yonkers, so those are the cities to target if you want to cast blame for Pelham's plight on it's neighbors.

Have you seen the stats on Orlando, Florida lately? Orlando's murder rate is up to 150 already and the year is not over!

I am not saying that Yonkers doesn't have any crime, gangs, or crappy neighborhoods and schools, but many neighborhoods are still quite lovely.
East Yonkers borders Bronxville, a town which was just named one of the best places to live in the country by a national magazine, along with bordering Eastchester and Tuckahoe!

I have two friends who live in upscale Ardsley and Scarsdale who can't wait for their kids to finish school so they can move back to Yonkers where the taxes are still much cheaper than surrounding Westchester towns, so far.

If you don't have to worry about kids and the school system, Yonkers isn't a bad place to consider living.

Good luck!

Old 10-02-2007, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,245 times
Thats just a lie. Pelham is an exceptionally safe community and I could care less what people write on these pages. The town is surrounded by New Rock but the cops in Pelham are great and the nrighborhoods are fantastic.

Anyone who wants to compare Pelham to Bronxville or Scarsdale is just a moron. Look at the FBI stat sheet - compare the median incomes and you end up with the same picture.

As far as rap music and thugs on the street! WTF! Are you talking about Pelham Parkway in the Bronx? Because you certainly are not discussing Pelham the town.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:31 AM

45 posts, read 179,150 times
i grew up in the north end of new rochelle and the only thing i can say about pelham is that it is WAY too close to the bronx.

people in nr would never consider pelham for any reason. if the commute is what's driving your interest, try larchmont or mamaroneck.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:45 PM

2 posts, read 8,357 times
October 2007 Westchester Magazine (look it up)

Ranked all Westchester towns by housing prices, income, sat scores, violent crime, etc. Violent crime info was culled from the NYS Division of Criminal Justice Services.

# of violent crimes for selected cities/towns/villages:

Yonkers 978
New Rochelle 242
Ossining Village 67
Harrison 28
Hastings 22
Mamaroneck Village 19
Pelham Village 18
Mount Kisco 14
Dobbs Ferry 11
Eastchester 11
Rye 9
Katonah 7
North Castle (Armonk) 7
Tuckahoe 6
Scarsdale 5
Pelham Manor 5
New Castle (Chappaqua) 5

Top 10 Median home price rankings:

Bronxville
Harrison/Purchase
Rye
Scarsdale
Larchmont
Armonk
Pound Ridge
Chappaqua
Pelham Manor
Briarcliff Manor

Old 10-07-2007, 10:33 AM

2,806 posts, read 11,399,616 times
Where is White Plains and Portchester on this list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondo View Post
# of violent crimes for selected cities/towns/villages:

Yonkers 978
New Rochelle 242
Ossining Village 67
Harrison 28
Hastings 22
Mamaroneck Village 19
Pelham Village 18
Mount Kisco 14
Dobbs Ferry 11
Eastchester 11
Rye 9
Katonah 7
North Castle (Armonk) 7
Tuckahoe 6
Scarsdale 5
Pelham Manor 5
New Castle (Chappaqua) 5

Old 10-13-2007, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 8,357 times
White Plains had 157 and Portchester had 85

Old 10-17-2007, 04:51 AM

413 posts, read 487,254 times
Default Crime in Pelham

Those statistics include things stolen from cars, which happens in a parking lot of a major rundown shopping center, which is geographically separated from the rest of Pelham by a highway, but nonetheless a part of Pelham. The statistics in fact, in this town, look dominated by that parking lot.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:16 PM

2,806 posts, read 11,399,616 times
Are you talking about Target? I wouldn't call it THAT rundown. I go shopping there every once in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County