U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,060 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I (along with our 6 year old) are thinking bout moving to Ossining. We've lived in Brooklyn all of our lives and love it, but we realize that if we want to stop paying rent and own something, then we'll need to move (that is, unless we come up with $$$ to continue to afford to live here ).

We plan on visiting and looking at some properties in the coming weeks in Ossining, but I wanted to get some more information (i.e. different areas, schools, recreation, etc.) for anyone who personally knows Ossining.

Thanks Much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 01:59 PM

8 posts, read 42,232 times
Smile I miss Ossining

I have lived in and around Ossining most of my life. I'm 52 now.
Ossining has change greatly over the years.
The schools are not too bad and many classes offer English as a second language. That gives you an idea of the immigrant population; mainly Hispanic.
That's fine, but Ossining is not cheap; just like the rest of Westchester County. The schools are actually better than ever and desegregated.
At age 6 , your child would first attend Park School. After completing 1st grade, he would move on to Brookside for 2nd & 3rd, then Claremont for 4th & 5th, then accross the street to attend Ann M. Dorner Middle School.
All the schools are close and there is school bus transportation .
My son went through the Ossining School system straight through to Ossining High School and loved every minute. He just turned 23 today so his Ossining school days are fairly recent. i would begin , if you are interested, looking into areas by Veteran's Park or Indian Village area, Stormytown rd. area
or homes off of Somerstown Rd. Perhaps you could try the Hawkes Ave. area too, lots of new builds there. Many areas of Ossining are lovely. Good Luck

Old 02-02-2007, 06:12 AM

186 posts, read 1,087,639 times
I wouldn't raise my family in ossining. Are you aware of the fact that it is where the infamous prison Sing Sing is? It is just called something else right now. There is a reason that out of all the housing in westchester county the prices in ossining are MUCH less.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:43 AM

True, the correctional facility is there. However I am not directing anyone to the area of State Street. In all my life, nothing ever happened to me ,any members of my family or anyone I knew. Ossining still has lovely areas in which to live and raise a family. While you may not be able to afford it, just take a look at Scarborough, not far from the facility & just south of Scarborough Station . I very much doubt folks living in million dollar plus homes would stay if they were in fear for their lives.
Poster , How long have you lived in the Ossining area?

Old 02-03-2007, 08:12 AM

Default Hello again

Please visit:

http://www.hudsonriver.com/rivertowns/welcome.html (broken link)

When you see the map, click on Ossining

also check schools @

http://www2.lhric.org/ossining/index.html

The Ossining School System is top notch. I am happy my son was able to attend. From there he was able to move on to Columbia University.
Our Middle School has been recognized as a National School of Excellence.

No one ever worries about the correctional facility. Please don't let that deter you from visiting our charming Hudson River town.

Good luck in your search.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:45 PM

150 posts, read 740,167 times
I lived in Ossining in the early 80's for awhile and liked it very much. If I were to return, I'd look for a home north of Route 9, away from the river, and preferably Chilmark. The schools have a good reputation.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:47 AM

47 posts, read 257,143 times
Parts of Ossining is great especially on the Briarcliff border not far from North State Rd. I sold many houses in that area, some are amazing homes, The taxes are high and yes the schools are not the most sought after but there are some excellent areas in Ossining and people are still moving there.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:09 PM

10 posts, read 46,253 times
[quote=Sammygirl 1;331403]Please visit:

Historic River Towns of Westchester County, New York - Home Page (http://www.hudsonriver.com/rivertowns/welcome.html - broken link)

When you see the map, click on Ossining

also check schools @

[URL]http://www2.lhric.org/ossining/index.html[/URL]

The Ossining School System is top notch. I am happy my son was able to attend. From there he was able to move on to Columbia University.
Our Middle School has been recognized as a National School of Excellence.

No one ever worries about the correctional facility. Please don't let that My grandmother lived behind nelson park off router 9 many many years ago. Sring Street was lovely then, but not now. Sing Sing was only a block away and was no problem. Just watch the area you move into it. deter you from visiting our charming Hudson River town.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:00 PM

100 posts, read 482,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggi813 View Post
I wouldn't raise my family in ossining. Are you aware of the fact that it is where the infamous prison Sing Sing is? It is just called something else right now. There is a reason that out of all the housing in westchester county the prices in ossining are MUCH less.
The technical name is "The Ossining Correctional Facility." However, everyone calls it "Sing Sing," which is what the town was called about 100 years ago.
The name derives from the Native American words, "Sint Sinck" which translates to "stone upon stone". Ossining is yet another version of that name and the town fathers changed the name so as to avoid association with the prison. Anytime you hear someone in an old film noir talk about being "sent up the river" they are referring to be sent to Sing Sing for incarceration or to go to the chair (the death penalty is no longer carried out there and won't be, even if its reinstated).

You certainly would not want to live near Sing Sing; that's not a very nice area. However the nice parts of Ossining, of which there are many, are not near there. Its an historic town, has easy access to Metro North and has an urban as well as suburban vibe to it. Some of my best friends live there and they love it. And you have to drive all the way down to the river to see the prison; its not like you have to stare at it everytime you go out.

I don't know much about the schools.

Last edited by AnNYYankee; 04-14-2008 at 02:08 PM..

Old 04-14-2008, 06:37 PM

470 posts, read 1,363,761 times
Like I just posted on another thread. Used to be money, now it's crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County