U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 01:36 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,080,719 times

Advertisements

You might want to post this on the seperate special needs forum as you'll likely get better responses.

I would indeed pay for a private evaluation if you believe that she has more. A 504 plan just provides accomodations, not direct services as an IEP does, as you are aware. What district are you in? Unfortunately, it's generally the poorer districts that steamroll over the parents as they know they often can't or won't fight back. I'd be far more trusting if it were in a good district, but even then you have to go with your gut.

Is she getting good grades and are her teachers giving you negative feedback? A disability on it's own doesn't qualify you for services - only if it negatively impacts their ability to access the curriculum. Good luck, I know it is frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 05:08 PM

132 posts, read 279,179 times
It's my understanding that if you insist on a full evaluation they must give it to you within 90 days. Submit the request in writing and use the official term "full educational evaluation". That would mean a full ed psych, OT, PT, Speech and educational testing would have to be done. After the evaluation, you might have an argument about what services she may or may not need but at that point you still have a right to a free independent evaluation on the school's dime. These are all federally guaranteed rights so it shouldn't matter what district you are in. If they try to tell you otherwise, ask them to show you the statute or their policy that contradicts the IDEA on this and make them defend their position. Odds are they don't have the time/money to do the evaluation but it doesn't mean they don't have to anyway.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:27 PM

256 posts, read 474,048 times
You are absolutely entitled to a free evaluation. That is the law. You may have to fight for services but you can get a free evaluation.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:21 AM

4 posts, read 6,505 times
Pretty sure there is a 30 day maximum time line for the evaluation in NY. Sometimes you have to keep on them.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:21 PM

625 posts, read 1,083,156 times
There is the Hawthorne Country Day School that accepts children with serious disabilities. I believe that you need to have your district refer your child to their program and they serve children up to age 21.
For people with special needs over the age of 21 I know they run several adult group homes in Westchester and also have adult day programs to learn vocational skills and to interact socially.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,351 times
Where is this program?

Old 02-03-2011, 01:02 PM

132 posts, read 279,179 times
I believe in Hawthorne. They have a pretty good website it you google it.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 120 times
Default Special Education in NYS

You might find this publication helpful. http://www.p12.nysed.gov/specialed/p...entguide.htm]A Parent's Guide to Special Education
It is explains many of the aspects of using special education services in New York State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County