Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 04:35 AM

9 posts, read 32,857 times

Advertisements

Looks like I'll be relocating my family to Westchester county from the south coast of England, to begin work in Mount Kisco; I'm looking for advice on which of the small towns within a 1 hour commute of Mt Kisco are affordable and suitable - I've 3 small children aged 7, 5 and 2 so obviously education and a low crime rate are high on my priorities... I thought property in Southern England was expensive, but it seems Westchester is just as bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 07:24 AM

131 posts, read 792,852 times
Default Mt. Kisco

Interestingly, Mt. Kisco itself was just voted the "most family-friendly" town in Westchester by the local paper. You can read more about it at :

http://search.thejournalnews.com/sp?...town&submit=Go

So you might want to consider looking in Mt. Kisco itself!
What is your price range for a home? That might help people give you more targeted advice. If I were you, I'd look as close to Mt. Kisco as possible, as driving in Westchester can be horrible, especially during rush hour and especially going east-to-west. You might also consider looking for a home on a train line so you could avoid driving altogether.

Karen

Old 05-23-2007, 09:46 AM

9 posts, read 32,857 times
Budget's going to be about $500k I think, but I want at least 4 bedrooms and a single family home... I've yet to work out the wonderful US income tax and property tax system so I may yet be able to go higher; or lower If i've miscalculated

Old 05-23-2007, 10:21 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
That's not going to get that much in that part of Westchester. Take a look on www.trulia.com.... You might consider being further North.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:38 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,487 times
An hour commute leaves a lot of options. You can look in not only Westchester, but Putnam, Rockland, even Orange County NY. You can even look east to CT and maybe even west to Northern NJ.

A think a bit more info would help. Do you want a nice downtown. Somewha affluent area, more middle class? Close to transit? Close to NYC? New developments, older houses?

Old 05-23-2007, 12:14 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,179 times
Look into dutchess county...which is about oh..45 minutes north....and specifically the arlington school district. Very very family orientated...you will be able to find a nice resale in a nice area. Shopping for the Mrs. will be of no problem..all your big box stores are here from starbucks, to gap, to panera bread....whatever you are looking for.

Some specific towns that you will want to look into at arlington school district are:

Lagrange, Beekman, Hopewell Junction(rated #31 one of the best towns to live in by money magazines top 100 list).

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...ots/46214.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arlingt...ange,_New_York)

The principal Thomas Brooks also won NY states principal of the year for 2007.

I know you have little ones so you have a ways to go..but its just a reference point as to the caliber of the district itself.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:20 PM

103 posts, read 448,502 times
If you want to stay in Westchester and close to Mt Kisco you might want to check out Yorktown. Currently, there are 12 houses in Multiple Listing with 4 bedrooms and under $530K. Otherwise, I would suggest Mahopac in Putnam county - it is close enough to highway that will bring you to Mt Kisco in about 30 min. There are considerably more choices in Putnam county and you will get more house for your money.
I would say stay away from Rockland and Orange counties as that would mean crossing Hudson twice a day, and bridge traffic is not something to be taken lightly.
Natasha

Old 05-23-2007, 12:34 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
Dutchess County is WAY more than an hour away. WAY more. We had a country home there...a KILLER commute.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Dutchess County is WAY more than an hour away. WAY more. We had a country home there...a KILLER commute.

LOL..I have lived in dutchess county since 98..and have drive to NYC itself.. several times and quite often, normal speed, straight down the taconic...and I have clocked it timewise and with mileage, and its one hour tops..I am talking to columbia university....and I have traveled there for business, and its 1.5 hours to rockfeller midtown.

I also have friends in yorktown, mt kisco and carmel which we visit often, and we are home in 45 minutes, straight up the 684. So way way way more than an hour...sure if you are talking about the country, northern dutchess on the border of columbia county, red hook tivoli and rhinebeck area ( those places are 45 minutes north of me..and would be too long for a commute..no sense in that).

I am talking of southern dutchess on the border of putnam county, with easy access to the 84 freeway area so you can hop on the taconic or the take it to the 684..and the 684 interstate is a wide freeway.

I just mapquest for driving directions my house and its 41.4 miles to Mount Kisco and its 45 minutes.

I think I would be know my commute since my dh commutes down to jersey and and the city often and he is home in 1.5 hours. And the fact that I have lived here for almost 10 years...I am pretty well versed with my own area lol.

Yorktown and Jefferson valley is also a really good option.. I am just not sure of the taxes. I have head nice things of mahopac as well.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalpaz View Post
If you want to stay in Westchester and close to Mt Kisco you might want to check out Yorktown. Currently, there are 12 houses in Multiple Listing with 4 bedrooms and under $530K. Otherwise, I would suggest Mahopac in Putnam county - it is close enough to highway that will bring you to Mt Kisco in about 30 min. There are considerably more choices in Putnam county and you will get more house for your money.
I would say stay away from Rockland and Orange counties as that would mean crossing Hudson twice a day, and bridge traffic is not something to be taken lightly.
Natasha
Putnam county Cold Springs has a nice vibe to it..very antique and victorian...have a friend that lives out that way..and its not bad...because you can go shopping in dutchess or go south in the jefferson valley area.

And I concur with rockland....or orange county..it doesnt seem like its a big deal to take a bridge..but it can get tiresome..and if you can avoid that extra cost..you midas well do so. My dh has to cross the newburgh beacon bridge, so its not "that" crowded..actually is pretty empty LOL..but again..then he hops on the 87 interstate, so we get tacked with the bridge tolls and the thruway tolls. So if you can avoid it..midas well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County