Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 01:14 PM

39 posts, read 215,521 times

Advertisements

Looking at public schools with a 40 minute or under train ride to Grand Central Station...

I know people most often say Scarsdale is "the best" but I'm not clear on what they offer that is different from the others. Is it just higher scores? Or are the programs/curriculum better in some way?

Would you agree that Irvington, Scarsdale, Edgemont, Rye and Rye Brook are the "top tier" with Hastings-on-Hudson, Mamaroneck, Rye Neck and Harrsion still very good but the next tier down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 01:33 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calla View Post
Looking at public schools with a 40 minute or under train ride to Grand Central Station...

I know people most often say Scarsdale is "the best" but I'm not clear on what they offer that is different from the others. Is it just higher scores? Or are the programs/curriculum better in some way?

Would you agree that Irvington, Scarsdale, Edgemont, Rye and Rye Brook are the "top tier" with Hastings-on-Hudson, Mamaroneck, Rye Neck and Harrsion still very good but the next tier down?
There is an obsession with SAT scores and what "tier" a school district is in. If you have motivated kids, they will do great in all the districts you mentioned, plus about 20 other districts. If they are slackers they will bomb out in all these districts. If they try hard but happen to be average or below-average students, I would avoid the so-called "best" school districts, most of which are pressure cookers.

You can't get to Manhattan from Rye Brook in less than 40 minutes.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:39 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,392,886 times
Many of the rankings are SAT score based, but all of the districts you listed are fine. I'd add Ardsley to the list, however, to get into Manhattan closer to the 40 minute mark, where the district is equivalent to a Pelham, a little higher ranked than Hastings. I would agree with your assessment as to the top districts that you listed, but the second-tier districts are not bad at all, and some schools do have more programs to offer, but I don't think you would find any of the districts you're considering lacking in good curriculum and activites.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:55 PM

101 posts, read 461,808 times
You can't get to Manhattan from Rye Brook in less than 40 minutes.[/quote]

FYI-Express train from Rye or Port Chester which are both walking distance from Rye Brook is 36 minutes- either the same or five or so more minutes than aforementioned towns.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia32 View Post
You can't get to Manhattan from Rye Brook in less than 40 minutes.
FYI-Express train from Rye or Port Chester which are both walking distance from Rye Brook is 36 minutes- either the same or five or so more minutes than aforementioned towns.[/quote]

Not sure how you walk from Rye Brook to Rye or Port Chester.

Is that 36 minutes on a Sunday morning, or 36 minutes at the height of rush hour? Must have some very fast bus drivers.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:11 AM

101 posts, read 461,808 times
rubygreta-I actually walked from Rye Brook to Rye train for many years- it is 1 mile from where I lived. If you would like to know my route- walk down Ridge Street- turn left at Purchase st- tada- Rye Train Station. Port Chester- even closer- walk about 1/2 mile down Westchester Ave and there you go. Pretty similar walk as one would do from many parts of Eastchester to Crestwood Station. We were discussing train rides- not bus rides????? The express train to the city from Rye is 36 minutes. Maybe you aren't sure where Rye Brook is located.

FYI- 8 miles from Rye Brook to Eastchester- not much of a difference in terms of distance to the city. When driving- approx 7 minute drive down the Hutch.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia32 View Post
rubygreta-I actually walked from Rye Brook to Rye train for many years- it is 1 mile from where I lived. If you would like to know my route- walk down Ridge Street- turn left at Purchase st- tada- Rye Train Station. Port Chester- even closer- walk about 1/2 mile down Westchester Ave and there you go. Pretty similar walk as one would do from many parts of Eastchester to Crestwood Station. We were discussing train rides- not bus rides????? The express train to the city from Rye is 36 minutes. Maybe you aren't sure where Rye Brook is located.

FYI- 8 miles from Rye Brook to Eastchester- not much of a difference in terms of distance to the city. When driving- approx 7 minute drive down the Hutch.
I have friends who live in Bellefaire. They are not walking to the station. Pretty long and slow rush hour drive to the station, wouldn't you say?

I like Rye Brook. But the OP seemed very concerned with the commute. If I were the OP I would seek a home in a place like Scarsdale or Pelham or Larchmont that is within EASY walking distance of the station. Train ride is less than 30 minutes.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:23 PM

8 posts, read 58,641 times

Would you agree that Irvington, Scarsdale, Edgemont, Rye and Rye Brook are the "top tier" with Hastings-on-Hudson, Mamaroneck, Rye Neck and Harrsion still very good but the next tier down?[/quote]

Scarsdale is the best hands down because they have the most resources.
Scarsdale is actually a big town for southern Westchester, and they have more electives, a bigger budget, more tax dollars, and probably tho not necessarily better teachers. If you want your child to have the best choice in after school clubs, teams, electives, etc. Scarsdale is much better than Edgemont. There is probably more diversity in housing stock too, believe it or not. Edgemont is a good school because it has a very homogenous group of parents. But don't expect them to be very professional or receptive, or have guidance counselors and social workers who know what they're doing.

Edgemont and Irvington are small. Edgemont has a lovely campus, but no town, Irvington has a different vibe, as a River town, Rye is bigg and has a town and I'm not sure if it's school is in the same category as Scarsdale. Rye Neck is like Edgemont on the Sound.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nan99 View Post

Sorry for my previous mispelled answer. It's my first time responding on this board and I haven't figured out how to edit. I went to Edgemont and I have friends from Ardsley and Scarsdale and know parents in Hastings and Irvington...so here's my semi-educated take on the Westchester scene.

I think if you check Westchester mag (and I haven't checked recently) they'll list Chappaqua, Scarsdale, and Edgemont as "best" and not necessarily in that order. In my not so humble opinion, Scarsdale, despite being a national joke, is the best school district hands down because they have the most resources.

Scarsdale is actually a big town for southern Westchester, and they have more electives, a bigger budget, more tax dollars, and probably tho not necessarily, better teachers. If you want your child to have the best choice in after school clubs, theater, teams, electives, etc. Scarsdale is much better than Edgemont. Scarsdale is so large there is even some diversity in housing stock.

Edgemont is a good school because it has a very homogenous group of parents (and they pay to have good teachers). But they're small, so don't expect them to be very professional or receptive, or have guidance counselors and social workers who know what they're doing. At least, in my day they didn't, and when I visited my old grammar school I found them disorganized and uninformed. (Just get a load of their website!)

Edgemont and Irvington are both small. Edgemont has a lovely campus, but no town, Irvington has a semi-town, a grade school that looks like a palace, and has a very different vibe, as a River town, Rye is big and has a town and I'm not sure if its school is in the same category as Scarsdale. The population is very different too, probably a little less Jappy and a little more heavily Catholic and Christian, as are most LI Sound towns.

I believe Rye Neck is tiny and good, sort of like Edgemont on the Sound, tho I don't know if it's reputation is quite as good as Edgemont's.

For what it's worth, Edgemont, Scarsdale, and Ardsley will have a higher percentage of Jewish folks than Irvington, Rye , Harrison or Mamaroneck. I've also noticed Ardsley and Edgmont both are getting a very high east Asian population. Edgemont and Scarsdale the largest Asian (korean, japanese) populations.

I also don't think Irvington is considered as "top tier" as Scarsdale/ Edgemont. But I believe it is considered better than Hastings. I would agree with a previous poster that Ardsley would be up there Academically with Edgemont and Irvington. Harrison I'm not familiar with, so I can't speak to that.

I personally have a soft spot for the Mamaroneck school district, which I was considered dicey when I was growing up because it had people on assistance, some people of color and many spanish speakers. it stil does. But there is enough money in the town from the Larchmont side to make a good school district, and I think the diversity of the population may make the district more professional, so there will be psychologists, social workers, etc who will know their stuff, and principals who care about the children of all backgrounds in their school. Mamaroneck schools/towns also have luxuries like an ice rink, and I believe a pool, which is fantastic.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:44 PM

Forgive me, I still don't know how to edit and I left some "it's" mistakes in my response. I'm no credit to Edgemont, apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County