U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 12:14 PM

45 posts, read 95,091 times
Default Cortlandt Manor area help

The more we look for home the more confused it seems we are getting. We would like central westchester but looking on realtor.com we saw very nice properties in the Cortlant Manor area. Can someone tell us about the whole area up that way - are the school districts good? Ia the area a good resale area? Is the town nice? How far from NYC? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 04:05 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,977,877 times
The train from Cortlandt Manor is about 48-50 minutes. The stop before, Croton, is a shorter ride and has more train options. Cortlandt Manor is mostly Hendrick Hudson schools, which have a good rep, but I think are generally considered not quite as good as some of the surrounding districts (Croton, Yorktown). The area is generally very nice, there are lots of wonderful parks and nature preserves (Blue Mountain Reservation alone is 1,500 acres). The town has no village center, but you're minutes from Croton and Peekskill, so there are plenty of restaurants, shopping, movies, etc. There's also a large shopping center and a strip of big box stores (route 6) in Cortlandt Manor. Being close to Peekskill is a plus if you have any interest in art films, art, or live music.

Cortlandt Manor has a number of distinct areas, and there is a fair amount of socio-economic diversity. The Furnace Woods area, around Furnace Dock Road, is very nice and still has a country feel. You get find some lovely older homes in the area. Other parts of town have (sadly, in my opinion) seen a fair amount of development with lots of new construction. You can probably find whatever you're looking for--unless you want a village setting, in which case you should look in Croton.

As for resale, I think the area has pretty much mirrored the norm of Westchester. Prices soared for years and then started leveling off and then declining. They've come down quite a bit in the last year, but are still well above what they were in 2001.

Northern Westchester tends to attract people who want to be in or close to a more rural environment but still have a good commute and be close to restaurants, museums, and other cultural venues. Even if you're in a village you can still get to some stunning places to hike and bike and cross-country ski in minutes. The landscape is lovely and the parks along the Hudson river are amazing. In general the area feels much less "suburban" than much of Westchester.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:33 PM

I forgot to mention that CM has an excellent library and an amazing town pool (its the size of a small lake, with a beach area for kids). The Croton/Cortlandt Arts Center has a good number of programs for kids and adults, and you can easily find the whole array of programs for kids in town.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:53 PM

701 posts, read 2,032,181 times
I believe some areas of Cortlandt Manor are also Lakeland schools, which are not well-regarded. So look carefully at school district.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:32 AM

92 posts, read 274,952 times
You are mistaken in thinking Lakeland in not considered a well-regarded school district. It is considered a very good district that has seen a great deal of population growth in the last decade. It is a large district- that sits smack in the middle of Westchester schools in terms of SAT scores, which we know doesn't mean much. I know plenty of families who wouldn't switch their kids into a "well-regarded" district like Scarsdale or Bronxville if you paid them. From those I know who have children in Lakeland schools- never heard anything but positive comments.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:36 AM

701 posts, read 2,032,181 times
School reputations are often disconnected from reality. I did not mean anything derogatory against Lakeland Schools, except that it lacks the "elite reputation" of some other Westchester schools. In terms of academic success, strong parenting is far more important than the schools graduation rate or SAT scores.
And yes, you're absolutely right that many parents would actually steer away from a school district like Scarsdale, believing it may be overly competitive and too much pressure.

But from a real estate perspective, I was simply saying that Lakeland Schools are not as well regarded as the supposed "elite" districts of Westchester. Cortlandt Manor/Lakeland/Walter Panas schools have a rate of going on to college at 87% and an average SAT score of 1585. Not bad at all. But in perspective, Croton/Cortlandt Manor has a college rate of 94% and an average SAT score of 1756.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:46 AM

Just to clarify things for the poster: Most of Cortlandt Manor is in the Hendrick Hudson school district. Some of Cortlandt Manor is in the Lakeland district (which also covers parts of northern Yorktown and parts of southern Putnam). The village of Croton is in the Croton district. Peekskill has it's own district.

I've written many posts on this site about the fact that, in my opinion, SAT scores only tell you about the socio-economic makeup of the population and tell you nothing about the school. That said, according to the latest issue of Westchester Magazine, Hendrick Hudson schools had a an average SAT score of 1592 (Walter Panas was 1516); Lakeland had an average of 1486. Croton had an average of 1714.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:01 AM

Thank you for all this info. We were looking at homes off Lafayette Ave- taxes in mid teens and Maple Ave - taxes in mid 20's. Newer homes off Maple and homes beautiful. Why such a difference in taxes when they are so close. We are looking at this all online at this point - we want to go see them in the next couple of weeks. Are both these areas good?

Exactly where is the beach/pool club mentioned above in CM?

Old 09-29-2008, 10:52 AM

I am always a bit nervous to say what a "good" area is, since that is so subjective and depends on what you are after. Maple Ave is very long and runs all the way from Yorktown into Peekskill. Parts of it are what I consider to be good--not too developed, lots of woods, with most homes tucked away out of sight--and parts are what I consider to be not as good--more developed, newer homes. Based on your comment I take it you want a new home, so we may have different ideas of what is "good." I am not familiar with Lafeyette Ave.

Taxes are based on square footage, size of property, number of structures, and age of the house. Taxes on new construction can be as much as double taxes on similar-sized older homes.

To be clear it is just a pool--but a big one with a sand area that flows into the water. It is located on Furnace Dock Road, on the southern end of the road. Here is the site for the pool and for the town parks:
http://www.townofcortlandt.com/Cit-e-Access/webpage.cfm?TID=20&TPID=4800
Town of Cortlandt, NY - Town of Cortlandt Parks

Old 09-29-2008, 11:52 AM

Thank you! We would like a newer ( as new as we can get!) home but more secluded. I know some new developements almost have the houses on top of each other - less privacy -not what we want. So I think our view of "good" may be the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County