U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 12:43 PM

4 posts, read 11,954 times

Advertisements

My Fiance and I will be married in November 2008 and our lease is ending in May 2009. We currently live on Wall St in lower Manhattan and will be looking to buy in Lower Westchester County (North of Yonkers / Mt Vernon ---South of 287). We are looking to settle in a place with a small town feel, but still with some of the simple luxuries we were afforded in NYC. A nice historical town with a center with shops and restaurants, with easy access to Metro North. Ultimately, we would like a single family, but are willing to consider condo. We don't plan on having children for 3-5 yrs, so schooling is important, but less of a concern at this point, since, we could trade up before the child enters the school system. We are looking in the 400-500k range and must have parking for a car. We've heard alot of good things about Bronxville, but were wondering if there are any other similar areas in the region? Does anyone have any advice for us to help us in our search? Any excellent real estate agents in the area? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 01:45 PM

5 posts, read 19,212 times
From my experience, Bronxville is expensive and overpriced. Yes, it does have a small town feel, but you can find that in similar places without the cost. You may wish to consider Scarsdale, and Northern New Rochelle as they are very similar to what I belive your looking for. The problem is these places will not allow you to live luxarious for 400-500k. If you would like to maintain the ammenties that you've had in the city, i would definatly sugest looking into a condo. For that price you can get great place and not spend an arm and a leg. Trump towers is next door to the train station. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Viralmd; 10-05-2008 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: No soliciting

Old 10-05-2008, 03:21 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,750,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Guy4 View Post
My Fiance and I will be married in November 2008 and our lease is ending in May 2009. We currently live on Wall St in lower Manhattan and will be looking to buy in Lower Westchester County (North of Yonkers / Mt Vernon ---South of 287). We are looking to settle in a place with a small town feel, but still with some of the simple luxuries we were afforded in NYC. A nice historical town with a center with shops and restaurants, with easy access to Metro North. Ultimately, we would like a single family, but are willing to consider condo. We don't plan on having children for 3-5 yrs, so schooling is important, but less of a concern at this point, since, we could trade up before the child enters the school system. We are looking in the 400-500k range and must have parking for a car. We've heard alot of good things about Bronxville, but were wondering if there are any other similar areas in the region? Does anyone have any advice for us to help us in our search? Any excellent real estate agents in the area? Thanks!
Single family in a good school district will be tough to find in that price range unless you (1) are handy; or (2) find someone desperate to sell.

More realistic bets are further north or condos in Scarsdale.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:59 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,423,501 times
Bronxville and Scarsdale are not very realistic on that budget. Look in places like Ardsley and Dobbs Ferry on the river side where you can still find smaller single family homes around your price range. Ardsley also has good schools, so if you want to stay when you have kids, you could trade-up within the community.

Also, consider Pelham. Pelham is nearly as expensive as the other towns, but it does have a supply of smaller homes that are in the town and have the good school district, that might be right around the price range as well. Also, consider some of the nicer parts of New Rochelle (closer to Scarsdale) and Tuckahoe that should have options available in single family houses as well.

The housing market might open up a bit more for a single family home, even a smaller one, in the $400-$550 range, especially in Ardsley and Pelham. However, you can get an apartment in that range in Pelham and even parts of Larchmont-Mamaroneck.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:49 PM

66 posts, read 295,732 times
Bronxville has some really nice 1 and 2 BR pre-war co-ops on Sagamore Rd and Midland Gardens that are currently on the market in your price range. I like keeping my eye on the local market as I plan to sell my 5 BR townhouse in the Bronxville school district in the next year or so. The commute to Manhattan is fantastic and living in Bronxville is indescribably good. Taxes, though, are high so all this does come at a price.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:36 PM

701 posts, read 2,928,887 times
In that price range, your options are limited. Any single family house in that price range, in a decent area, is going to have major issues. You can definitely afford a nice co-op in that budget, or apartment style condo. Conceivably, you will be able to find a 2-bedroom townhouse style condo. (Look at the Arbors in Rye Brook as one example). Typically, for a 2-3 bedroom townhouse style condo, in one of Westchester's better towns, you would be paying anywhere from 500K to 700K.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:12 PM

12 posts, read 31,747 times
i am in a similar situation as this original poster. looking for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath condo in westchester in the $500 K or less range, for my husband, me and our baby twins. school district is not critical as we'll probably move again around the 5 year mark or can send them to private schools initially until we move to a better school district. i would like to be in a nice area with professionals however, regardless of the school district. what cities, and specific condo, townhome communities are best to look at?

Old 07-13-2009, 07:00 PM

24 posts, read 57,188 times
Default Check out Hartsdale

My wife and I are newlyweds and found ourselves in a similar situation. We had a great apartment in SOHO but wanted a house and just more space. Since we are a few years from having school-aged children we figured we could start in an area where the schools weren't rated so high and take it from there.

We saw about 30 houses in the White Plains, Scarsdale, Bronxville, Hartsdale areas. Our price range was 475-550K. For our price range the houses in Scarsdale needed work; Bronxville small but good condition; White Plains really big houses, livable but so-so condition and streets; all 5 houses we saw in Hartsdale were in great condition. Could just be our luck but we would have jumped at most of them. We are very happy with our move, commute to the city, and the distance from the train.

Another thing is don't let the naysayers put you off regarding price. The house we purchased listed for 680K 2 years ago, it was listed for 539K when we saw it early this year. We were all set to close at asking price when the appraisals (our bank and one they hired) came in at 505K and that is what we wound up paying It seems like the market is actually over-correcting and the houses are appraising for a lot less then they should be.

Good luck with your search!

Old 07-13-2009, 07:41 PM

305 posts, read 1,687,921 times
I think a coop/condo in Larchmont and/or Mamaroneck or Scarsdale/Eastchester would be nice.

Check out the Tower Club condos in Tuckahoe or the Garth Road condos in Eastchester (Scarsdale PO).

If you are looking in Bronxville, make sure the condo is near the village> There are a ton of condos on Bronx River Road with a Bronxville PO that are nowhere near the town. Good Luck.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:46 PM

12,267 posts, read 9,445,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evansss View Post
You may wish to consider Scarsdale, and Northern New Rochelle as they are very similar to what I belive your looking for.
The north-end of New Rochelle is very pleasant but it doesn't have a small town feel. There is easy access to the Hutchison Parkway for commuting, but you have to drive everywhere, and you will feel very marooned if your car is in the shop.

But the schools are good, the neighborhoods are nice and this is definitely a buyer's market. With three homes on the market just on my street, price competition is tipping prices sharply lower, and there are homes becoming available in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County