U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-18-2008, 06:14 AM

77 posts, read 173,900 times
Default How much snow?

My kids asked me to post a question about how much snow we can expect if we move to northern westchester? They are praying for more snow days than we get here in Virginia. We just had a little dusting last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 10:29 AM

701 posts, read 1,948,413 times
Depends on the winter, but typically you will see school cancelled for snow roughly 3-8 times per winter.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:54 PM

Thanks Havoc. They will be excited about that. I have a bad feeling about this year. Call it my sixth sense.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:58 PM

701 posts, read 1,948,413 times
Seems the last couple years, not too much snow. In fact, the only major snow storm I remember from last year, his during the weekend. The schools have a certain number of snow days built into their calendar, so if they haven't used the days towards the end of the winter, you begin to see them cancelling school for just a bit of ice.

Where in Northern Westchester are you relocating?

Old 11-18-2008, 01:13 PM

We are looking at Katonah, Yorktown Heights or Cortlandt manor. It is so funny here in Virginia. My dh and I joke about there only being one plow in the entire county. They have cancelled school after about 1 inch of snow. Our county is huge and there are a lot of dirt roads.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:27 PM

148 posts, read 390,283 times
You can bet they will see a fair amount of snow and use up just about every snow day they get from the school. Some times we even go over the alloted number of days which means days are taken out of Spring Recess. Sorry Kids!

Most of our snow happens in mid January through February /March with Feb and March having the biggest snow falls. Most of the snow that falls in March, even though it can be large amounts, typically melt quick due to the warm days.

You'll see all the snow plows you can get your fill of. There is a great hill at the ball field in Yorktown where hundreds (might be exaggerating a bit) go sledding. There are great spots all over this area due to the number of hills. We also have a great Rail Trail system that can be used for Cross Country Skiing or your can do that at any of the state parks. There is also a Ski Mountain just up in Pawling, NY. Thunder Ridge. They make their own snow.

One of the best things about this area in the winter, next to the snow fall is the close proximity to Manhattan. Macy's Herald Square, Rockefeller Tree Lighting, New Years Eve, Christmas in the Park. No Christmas is complete with out a day trip to Manhattan.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:22 PM

677 posts, read 1,177,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asil65 View Post
Thanks Havoc. They will be excited about that. I have a bad feeling about this year. Call it my sixth sense.
I have two all wheel drive vehicles this winter.

Expect nothing more than a dusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County