U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-21-2009, 02:06 PM

32 posts, read 77,019 times
Hi all,
Just moved in to our new place in Katonah! We began our commuting routine this week. (Yep, we'll be commuting into the city every day for the most part, although I'll be going on maternity leave pretty soon.) The train was 20 minutes late yesterday morning, but apparently that is a very rare occurrence. The trip itself isn't bad; seems that my husband and I will be able to get seats together in the morning and can just read, nap, etc. The house itself is on a quiet road, surrounded by trees. Nighttime is very quiet and very dark. It's strange not being in Brooklyn, that's for sure.... I'm nervous about finding friends, but hoping that once we have a baby we might start meeting other parents.

DouggieG: Glad to hear the good report! Any suggestions for things to do, places to go, etc? We live near the museum, too, and it looks like they have monthly cocktail hours and such.... I'm sorry to hear that the town has become more generic over the years, but hope that it's retained at least some of what made it unique. What do you like best about it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 03:07 PM

jdf718: Just saw your other thread about the Cold Spring commute. Thought I should mention that we had/have some of the same concerns as you, and fear of a long commute was a big part of why we decided against Garrison & Cold Spring, ourselves. I think that if you work reasonable hours (like I do), the commute to and from any of these places should be fine. But if you frequently have to stay late, it might get to be a drag. (I'm concerned about this for my husband, who arrived at the Katonah station at 10:30 last night!)

I'll keep you updated as we get accustomed to the routine. I will say this much right off the bat: we are VERY glad that we bought a house close to the train station (just about a 3-minute drive). Some of the other houses we looked at were as far as 15 minutes from their respective stations, and although they might have been less expensive or more attractive, I'm so glad we held fast to our train-proximity criterion.

FYI: Katonah makes parking passes available to all residents.... You start out in Lot 3, which is a little bit of a walk to the platform, then work your way closer over time, as spaces in Lots 2 and 1 become available.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:17 PM

57 posts, read 153,269 times
Pilgrim324 - how's the commute going? We are on the verge of moving (sometime in July) and might be headed your way...

Old 06-25-2010, 08:06 PM

Hey, that's great! We've been in Katonah for a year already - hard to believe - and love it here. Neither of us are commuting at the moment (I quit my job after having the baby, and my husband is currently working from home), but my husband did it for a few months and thought it was tolerable. The trains were usually right on time, and he got a lot of reading and work done on the train. But with the 1.5 hour trip door to door, he'd sometimes get home pretty late, which was a drag. The distance from the city has advantages, though, as you can imagine. I'll reply to your private message at more length....

Old 01-27-2011, 02:37 AM

11 posts, read 20,360 times
Hi Pilgrim324,

My husband and I are in a bit of a dilemma at the moment. We both live in Dublin, Ireland and have 2 boys, 2.5 and almost 5, the eldest of which is attending his first year of school. My husband is American and has been offered a really good position in NY which would enable me to give up working and be a SAHM. My huge concern is whether I would be very lonely without that social outlet of work. Of course I could also find a position perhaps but I don't see the point in both of us commuting into the city when we have 2 small children (our commute here is only around 20 minutes door to door). Katonah was on our shortlist should we move so I would be really interested in your feedback on how you have integrated into the town, have you been able to get a social cirle as it sounds like you are in a similar position to me in that you have stopped working. I think the main stumbling block for us right now is my fear of not having a social network, there is only so much time you can hang out with your kids and in any event my 2 would be going to school/kindergarden so i would be on my own a bit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, we are kindof up against the clock re making a decision.

Thanks

Old 01-30-2011, 08:51 AM

86 posts, read 246,747 times
Ehar
I replied to your post on the other thread, but I can help answer your question here also. I moved here (Katonah-area) when my kids were 4 and 5. (now 14 and 15)
Katonah has a LOT of stay at home moms, way more than any other place I've lived. (and less domestic help all around, less nannies, housekeepers, landscapers, etc for some reason)
My #1 piece of advice for you if you want to socialize - go to the PTA meetings and get involved on committees. Before you know it, you will have a full calendar, and many wonderful friends.
And if your boys play sports (soccer, baseball, lacrosse)..that is another opportunity for socializing. Trust me, you can stop worrying, you will not be lonely, just the opposite, you will be wishing you had more "me"-time..

Old 01-30-2011, 12:44 PM

11 posts, read 20,360 times
Hi Rscap,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write. sounds like you have first hand experience of what I would be moving to so its great to hear your views on Katonah and you've definitely put me at ease re the social side of things.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:44 PM

10 posts, read 16,768 times
Hello,

I'm not sure if the original poster is still active on City Data, but I would like to get some perspective on the Village Center that was frequently mentioned as one of their requirements. Minus the artistic element, my wife and I have pretty much the identical circumstances and criteria for relocation. We will both be commuting to NYC, at least initially and plan on starting a family within the next 18 months or so. We too have heard great things about Katonah and Croton on the Hudson and are looking for homes in 600 to 700k ranges. My wife and I are very big on a town or village center, where you can park your car and walk around (restaurants, stores, shops, etc.) Does Katonah offer this? I got the impression that while very pretty, Croton does lack that town center feel. Any feedback would be helpful. Thank you!

Old 01-31-2011, 04:51 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,345,838 times
Katonah has a vibrant and attractive town center. Croton does not.

But Croton is cheaper, and the commute to Manhattan is quicker.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:13 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,825,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly12 View Post
...My wife and I are very big on a town or village center, where you can park your car and walk around (restaurants, stores, shops, etc.) Does Katonah offer this? I got the impression that while very pretty, Croton does lack that town center feel. Any feedback would be helpful. Thank you!
Yes, Katonah has a much nicer and more walkable downtown than Croton. Katonah certainly has one of the prettiest town centers around. Croton and Katonah aren't that off in actual town amenities--both have about 3-4 good restaurants, a good coffee house, a decent lunch place, a good gourmet food store--but Katonah's are all centralized in one pretty spot, whereas Croton's are scattered in 4 seperate commercial areas. (And Katonah certainly has more shops.)

If you want to live in walking distance to a nice town center, I think Katonah is a good bet. However, if--as you wrote--your goal is to drive to a good town center, then you have a lot more options. People in the area all hop from town to town. If you live in Katonah you'll probably end up driving to Mt Kisco most of the time, since it has a much larger range of restaurants and stores. In Croton, you'll often head up to restaurants and music spots in Peekskill or down to Ossining and Tarrytown. We live in Yorktown Heights (which has a very walkable town center with lots of stuff, but certainly not a very attractive one) and we often go to Katonah, Mt Kisco, Peekskill, and other nearby towns for restaurants and other things, as well as to YH. They're all an easy 10 to 15 minutes away. People on this site often talk as if each town is an island unto itself--but the reality (at least in Northern Westchester) is that each town has some things but not others and everyone regularly goes to multiple towns.

Here's one resource for things in the area: Northern Westchester Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County