Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,095 times

Advertisements

I recently took a job in Midtown and am looking to move closer to the city but not into it becuase I'd prefer to stick to a suburban lifestyle and have a little balance between city life and country life. I'm from out of state originally and not very familiar with the area. It's a bit overwhelming with all of the places to choose from (buroughs, NJ, Westchester, Manhattan itself..)!

Currently I'm commuting from New Milford, CT (a 2 hour trip each way!) so I would like something that is 20-45 minutes outside of the city but no further on one of the Metro North train lines, (it doesn't matter to me which one). My budget is around $1800 or below for a 1 or 2 bedroom to share with my boyfriend/future fiance. We are going to have a modest income and are not looking to buy at this time but possibly in the future.

Other factors-we enjoy the outdoors and sports so areas that are active and have parks would be great. Something near the Long Island sound would also be wonderful since we love the water, but it is not necessary since I know that area can be expensive. We are also looking for a place where people are fairly friendly and a downtown area that you can walk around in, (something with a bit of a small town feel.) I would like to keep my car at the apartment and we would like to have a cat!

Do you have any recommendations for places to start looking or specific apartments that would be suitable for our situation? Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 08:19 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
Near Long Island Sound, you're limited, especially if you want a small town atmosphere. Larchmont has the best walkable downtown, but it's a wealthy community, and the only apartments that I can think of that would be within the price range would be above commercial properties. Some of the villages in Westchester have that sort of arrangement, and it's a plus because you live in a nice area, but a minus because it's a second or third floor of a mixed-use building, not the same as an apartment with full amenities. Pelham has some of what you seek, as well, and there might be some co-ops on the market that might rent around $1800 for a 1BR, or a 1BR in a divided house as there are a few in Pelham.

If you could deal with Hudson vistas, I would suggest looking at Tarrytown, since you're single, or a couple without children is more apt. White Plains, too, but WP is more to the city-style living (for Westchester), though there are express trains to Grand Central. If you can find parking in areas adjacent, since it can be a challenge, I would also look at the Bronxville P.O. section of Yonkers, and a tiny slice of Mount Vernon, and the Scarsdale P.O. section of Eastchester, since you can be in the area, yet have the amenities of the downtown area, and an easy train commute.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-08-2010, 10:46 AM

10 posts, read 20,035 times
Default Looking for same but with slightly higher budget

Your post could have been my post! Although I already have a cat and I could go up to about 2300 in rent. I'd have to add that I prefer something newer rather than older. I love updated kitchens but that's probably not possible on my budget unless I go to the Hudson Park apartments in Yonkers. And SW Yonkers still seems a bit sketch to me being a single woman. I will be moving there Dec. 1 and working on Park Ave. in the 50's. A car is optional for me but it seems Larchmont area requires one.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:10 AM

2 posts, read 3,149 times
I would check out the Tower Club in Tuckahoe - you should be able to get a 1 br in your price range (not sure if they allow cats though). It's a very easy commute to midtown, you can walk to the Tuckahoe and Crestwood downtowns, and it is an easy drive or a longish walk to Bronxville's downtown. You wouldn't be on the Sound, but you would be right by the Bronx River, which has a nice trail to run/walk. Tuckahoe has a great small town feel with lots of festivals, parades, etc. You are also eligble to join Lake Isle, which offers golf/tennis/swimming. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County