Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 04:53 PM

359 posts, read 2,587,743 times

Advertisements

Ive only been to Mount Vernon once or twice when I was very little and cant really remember it. What is it like today? Is it all gentrified like NYC? Does it resemble its neighbor The Bronx?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 05:15 PM

100 posts, read 626,974 times
As I have said before....If you are not a drug dealer you have no business in Mount Vernon.

If you must live in Mt. Vernon (which I highly doubt) I suggest taking a look into the Fleetwood section.

You should also look into Yonkers. Its a lot nicer (depending on the area mostly, but overall).

Old 03-09-2007, 12:18 PM

18 posts, read 67,544 times
Mt. Vernon (unfortunately) has real nose dived. Basically, like a bad part of the Bronx. Schools are not rated well, and crime is high. Property values have suffered because of this. Fleetwood is a nicer area. Mt. Vernon is not like NYC (meaning Manhattan) at all.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:09 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,889,602 times
Mt vernon..never been only heard....but just as a FYI...a Mount Vernon Student brought a nine millimeter (sp?) to school today.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:37 PM

4 posts, read 25,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJerzyKidUNO View Post
Ive only been to Mount Vernon once or twice when I was very little and cant really remember it. What is it like today? Is it all gentrified like NYC? Does it resemble its neighbor The Bronx?
Mt Vernon is a GHETTO & if you dont speak spanish you wont understand anyone.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 10,782 times
mount vernon has more history than alot of places, we produced more stars an athletes than any city in westchester county,mount vernon used to resemble mayberry on the andy griffin show,we had town parades,baseball games,etc,everyone knew each otherws family black or white,mayor blackwell ruined our city,it was safe at one time, men used their fist to settle beefs, after that we drank beer together and showed off our blackeyes to our girlfreinds,our neighbors to the south were determined to move in,it was like bringing a bull into a china shop,somethings you have to be born with ya just cant learn it overnite

Old 03-15-2009, 05:23 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,271,490 times
Vernon, I wish I shared your enthusiasm, but check out this story in the local paper.
Yonkers, Mt. Vernon to get gunshot sensors:
Yonkers, Mt. Vernon to get gunshot sensors | lohud.com | The Journal News

Old 03-15-2009, 09:33 PM

622 posts, read 1,717,660 times
I agree that if you want to live in Mt. Vernon, Fleetwood is the nicest. That part of it is right next to Bronxville and has some nice, large houses and quiet neighborhoods. However, it's still zoned for Mt. Vernon schools, which is usually considered a negative, but there's always private schools. Most of Mt. Vernon is rather unpleasant.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 10,846 times
Fleetwood used to be nice. But not anymore. The last time I was there (a month ago), I felt that the whole area changed, looks a lot more like Mt Vernon. I will stay out of Fleetwood. Bronxville or Eastchester is much better, but again it's pretty expensive to live there.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:52 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,243,414 times
Wow...the cameras are pretty severe. Baltimore has deployed many of those cameras, and I think that they have a blue light on them when they activate. I can count many times being at Hopkins or driving on the highway and seeing the blue lights flashing in various areas known to have higher crime rates.

I have always known about the bad parts of Yonkers and Mount Vernon, but this is an extreme measure to combat the crime. Being compared to Baltimore in terms of crime abatement measures is not the best for Yonkers and Mount Vernon, but if it's an effective system that helps to capture criminals, that's a positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County