U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-15-2009, 09:40 PM
 
48 posts, read 88,587 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I am trying to find a nice decent place to live outside of the nyc limits was thinkin in Westchester county above Mt vernon. I will be relocating from southern Virginia. I have a son that will be in his senior year in High School. Could you please give me some suggestions of some nice towns or small cities that i should consider. Even thought about Stamford Ct, but sure the commute would be rough. Please Help. Looking to rent initially. Dont want an area where i have to watch my back , Or have to worry about my son because the area is saturated with gangs. Please Help!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2009, 06:06 AM
 
12,120 posts, read 28,458,930 times
Reputation: 3780
Default Stamford would be

about a 25-30 mile ride from Throggs Neck. But why only north of Mt Vernon necessarily? North of Mt Vernon can be expensive(Bronxville, Eastchester, Scarsdale). You have decent sections of Yonkers to the W of Mt Vernon, decent sections of New Rochelle E of Mt vernon (can be expensive)Riverdale, Bronx SW of Mt Vernon, Hastings and Dobbs Ferry NW of Mt Vernon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2009, 07:24 AM
 
7,079 posts, read 34,462,041 times
Reputation: 4036
What is your budget? How do you plan to commute (car? mass transit?) ? How long a commute will you tolerate?

Mt. Vernon has some nice areas, but they're limited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2009, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC & New York
10,830 posts, read 26,344,725 times
Reputation: 6895
I am assuming that you're in need of a good public school, so that will limit your choices. There is a great school in Yonkers, Yonkers High School, but you absolutely MUST be in this district in Yonkers as the rest of the city's schools have lower scores and exposure to some lifestyle choices that you might not want for your son.

Pelham also has a great school system, and it's a little less expensive than Bronxville and Scarsdale, just a little to the east on Long Island Sound. New Rochelle has some nice neighborhoods, but the schools are huge, especially at the upper grades and that can tend to make them sub-par in performance in comparison to smaller town schools in neighboring jurisdictions. Other nearby districts that are worth considering include: Larchmont-Mamaroneck, Harrison, Eastchester, Tuckahoe, Edgemont, Ardsley, Dobbs Ferry, Irvington, and Hastings. Edgemont is not a town, however, it's an unincorporated area with its own school district, and has either a Scarsdale or Hartsdale mailing address as it lies just outside the town/village (it's contemporaneous) limit of Scarsdale. All of these areas are not that far from Throggs Neck, especially since you are driving and are not relying on public transportation. Bronxville and Scarsdale also have very good reputations, but they can be expensive, and you absolutely must be in the Village of Bronxville or Town/Village of Scarsdale to take advantage of the school system. Parts of Yonkers and Mount Vernon have a Bronxville zip code, as parts of New Rochelle have a Scarsdale zip code, in addition to Edgemont, but that is a great district. The areas are perfectly fine that have the Bronxville zip code, in Yonkers, but that's where the school border comes into play and you only want Yonkers HS in the city.

One of the easier ways to search is by school district, since that's a key componenet within the county, but I am sure that you know agents are limited in what they can tell you by fair housing regulations so as not to give any appearance of steering someone to a particular neighborhood. Hence, it's good to do your own research to find the right place for you in a good district. An easy way to do this is by using the WCBR's search engine to plug in the school districts and see what rentals are available. The only caveat is that they are organized by town, so if you want to search for Tuckahoe, Bronxville, and Eastchester, they're under Eastchester in subcategories as that's the town. Similarly, Larchmont-Manaroneck, and part of Rye Neck are under Mamaroneck. Pelham is Pelham. The Town of Greenburgh is where you would fnd Ardsley, Dobbs Ferry, Hastings, and Irvington. Edgemont is also in Greenburgh, and it's also known as Greenville.

The only problem with Stamford is that White Plains and Greenwich lie between there and The Bronx, which will delay your commute with the number of suburban offices in these areas. It's much easier to be between White Plains and The Bronx than it is to have to navigate the traffic into White Plains to get to The Bronx.

Here's a link to search the WCBR: MLS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2009, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Bergen County, NJ
1,603 posts, read 3,633,108 times
Reputation: 1838
The Throgsneck area of the Bronx is very nice !! My friend lives there, it's a VERY Italian, safe area ...

I work in White Plains, that's also another nice area ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2009, 02:00 PM
 
48 posts, read 88,587 times
Reputation: 10
My budget as far as renting would be up to 1500 MO, 2 bedrooms three if i could get it at that price. I would take mass transit depending on where i will be living. Have a question, is Whiteplains the same WhitePlains near gunhill rd or is it different? The Pelham area you're speaking of, it it plham pkway or is this a different section. So you're saying Yonkers have a good school system, but most of the area is undesirable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2009, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC & New York
10,830 posts, read 26,344,725 times
Reputation: 6895
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmy View Post
My budget as far as renting would be up to 1500 MO, 2 bedrooms three if i could get it at that price. I would take mass transit depending on where i will be living. Have a question, is Whiteplains the same WhitePlains near gunhill rd or is it different? The Pelham area you're speaking of, it it plham pkway or is this a different section. So you're saying Yonkers have a good school system, but most of the area is undesirable?
Not White Plains Road in The Bronx, I believe the reference was to White Plains, the city, in Westchester County. As for Yonkers high schools, the only one that's good is Yonkers HS. The rest of the school system has its share of problems. Also, Pelham is the town in Westchester, not Pelham Pwy in The Bronx.

It gets a little confusing sometimes between Lower Westchester and The Bronx, since many place names repeat, owing to the fact that The Bronx used to be part of Westchester County until the early 1900s.

A 2BR for under $1500 can be a hunt in Lower Westchester, but there are some apartments around that range in decent areas. It just requires a search to find them, and there may be a concession such as being in a multi-family home or above a shop in the town center.

Public transportation to Throgs Neck is not always the easiest to accomplish, especially from Westchester, since the trains head towards Manhattan, so you'd need to take a train to a point in The Bronx and then a bus or two to get to work. Just as an example, it might take 20-25 minutes (depending upon where in the town) from Larchmont/Mamaroneck to Throgs Neck, but the same trip would easily take an hour and a half on public transportation with a couple of transfers. It can be done, but it's not the easiest way to commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2009, 08:07 PM
 
33 posts, read 134,727 times
Reputation: 21
$1500/month will not buy much in Westchester and I don't see how you would take public transportation to Throggs Neck from Westchester. You would really need to drive. If I were you I would look in Throggs Neck, east of the Marina Del Rey - it's still a very nice middle class area. Or the Morris Park section of the Bronx which is a short commute to Throggs neck via bus. The Indian Village section of Morris Park is still very, very nice and you may be able to rent something there for that price. This is right near Pelham Parkway and Williamsbridge Road. Most people I know from these areas send their kids to catholic school - I know they bus to Salesian H.S. (abt $6500/year) from Morris Park. Then there's Fordham Prep (abt $14,000/year), Stepinac H.S. (abt $6500/year). I don't think there's a bus to Iona Prep. In my opinion, I think the tuition is well worth it, especially for one year.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2009, 05:21 AM
 
48 posts, read 88,587 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Not White Plains Road in The Bronx, I believe the reference was to White Plains, the city, in Westchester County. As for Yonkers high schools, the only one that's good is Yonkers HS. The rest of the school system has its share of problems. Also, Pelham is the town in Westchester, not Pelham Pwy in The Bronx.

It gets a little confusing sometimes between Lower Westchester and The Bronx, since many place names repeat, owing to the fact that The Bronx used to be part of Westchester County until the early 1900s.

A 2BR for under $1500 can be a hunt in Lower Westchester, but there are some apartments around that range in decent areas. It just requires a search to find them, and there may be a concession such as being in a multi-family home or above a shop in the town center.

Public transportation to Throgs Neck is not always the easiest to accomplish, especially from Westchester, since the trains head towards Manhattan, so you'd need to take a train to a point in The Bronx and then a bus or two to get to work. Just as an example, it might take 20-25 minutes (depending upon where in the town) from Larchmont/Mamaroneck to Throgs Neck, but the same trip would easily take an hour and a half on public transportation with a couple of transfers. It can be done, but it's not the easiest way to commute.
Thank you soo much for breaking that down for me. Ok, and I probably could go up a couple of 100 dollars a month for rent without hurting myself. Do you know good sites to look for apartments. Does craiglist have apartments or homes for rent? Oh yeah, in order for my son to attend Yonkers HS, would we have to live in Yonkers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2009, 05:30 AM
 
48 posts, read 88,587 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwood2008 View Post
$1500/month will not buy much in Westchester and I don't see how you would take public transportation to Throggs Neck from Westchester. You would really need to drive. If I were you I would look in Throggs Neck, east of the Marina Del Rey - it's still a very nice middle class area. Or the Morris Park section of the Bronx which is a short commute to Throggs neck via bus. The Indian Village section of Morris Park is still very, very nice and you may be able to rent something there for that price. This is right near Pelham Parkway and Williamsbridge Road. Most people I know from these areas send their kids to catholic school - I know they bus to Salesian H.S. (abt $6500/year) from Morris Park. Then there's Fordham Prep (abt $14,000/year), Stepinac H.S. (abt $6500/year). I don't think there's a bus to Iona Prep. In my opinion, I think the tuition is well worth it, especially for one year.

Good luck.
Thanks Cwood2008... I've never even considered catholic schools. I will most definitely look into that. You're right, it is worth it for one year.
I dont really want to live in NYC, so I dont know how that would work for those schools, i would probably have to get him to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:43 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top