Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 06:27 PM

148 posts, read 875,863 times

Advertisements

Jjinla, lets agree to disagree on this one.

I went to Westchester Putnam Association of Realtors Inc's website WPAR.org and could not find any of the listings that you mentioned. Anyone reading this should go and check and see if they can find these listings.

I have provided you with verifiable information on current listings on WPAR.org and you have given me listings that do not exist (anymore?) on WPAR.org. The real estate market changes so much, home prices and taxes in 80's, 90's or even five years ago are not the same as today in 2011, so current listings are more helpful.

This is my last comment, I have no further comment regarding this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 06:37 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,446,684 times
It's not an issue of agreeing or not - the tax rate in Mamaroneck and Rye Neck is not as low as Rye (or even Harrison, for that matter). That is not an opinion but a fact. That's like saying that the tax rates in the Rivertowns are the same as in Bronxville. It's just not true, and people potentially moving here might want to take that into account.

The attached is a bit outdated, but it shows by county what different areas pay, approximately. http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html...PHIC/data.html

As for the listings, most of them are sold as I stated, and from Listingbook. I pulled them the same day - anyone on here that wants to verify, feel free.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:16 AM

354 posts, read 772,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
It's not an issue of agreeing or not - the tax rate in Mamaroneck and Rye Neck is not as low as Rye (or even Harrison, for that matter). That is not an opinion but a fact. That's like saying that the tax rates in the Rivertowns are the same as in Bronxville. It's just not true, and people potentially moving here might want to take that into account.

The attached is a bit outdated, but it shows by county what different areas pay, approximately. http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html...PHIC/data.html

As for the listings, most of them are sold as I stated, and from Listingbook. I pulled them the same day - anyone on here that wants to verify, feel free.
Interesting chart. It also debunks your previous statement that Rye is considered to have the lowest tax rates in the county. Its not even close. On the other hand, White Plains is one of the lowest, and IMO the most desirable to live than any of the places with lower rates than it. Best value in Westchester!

Old 06-09-2011, 11:56 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,446,684 times
How is it not even close? Per 1000 of home value, Rye's was lower than White Plains. Only 2 cities in Westchester were lower, including Bronxville, which I mentioned.

So to correct, it's one of the lowest, not the lowest. But certainly much lower than Mamaroneck and Rye Neck, which were the areas in question.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:25 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,519,782 times
Theres a lot of confusion about taxes - in Rye Neck the tax has three components: you're paying the school district taxes and Town of Rye taxes (same as Rye) and the village of Mamaroneck taxes. As a result you get access to both Town's facilities, the Rye facitlites at resident rates, the Mamaroneck facilities (like Hommocks indoor pool) at a rate higher than residents but lower than everyone else.

The taxes aren't so great if you've come from NYC where you are already paying nearly 4% NYC resident income tax on top of whatever city property taxes you pay (city property taxes are lower than Westchester of course). I found I was breaking even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County