Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 01:21 PM

3 posts, read 15,163 times

Advertisements

Hastings is a nice little town. However, the schools have been on a downhill skid for the last two or three years. On a technical standpoint, their state test scores took a nose dive last year, which is a well kept secret. Also, their superintendent's office has a revolving door and the director of special ed is a known breaker of special ed law and a nightmare. Real estate is expensive and taxes are high because of the schools, which are a waste of money. If you want to live in a rivertown and send your kids to public schools, try Irvington. I know this firsthand. However, my kid is in private school and will be and I am moving to the Greystone area, because it is beautiful and peaceful and you can get so much more for your money than a rivertown. In fact, you can put your kid in a private school and the tuition is cheaper than the difference in real estate taxes between Yonkers and one of the rivertowns. and yes, I see this is a two year old post but it looks like an interesting discussion. and yes, I have a friend who've lived at 1155 Warburton for ten years and bought his apartment two years ago. He's had no problem and just refinanced and his apartment actually held it's value. I will say that the owners are desperate because sales are down, which makes their sales people pretty pushy.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 03:33 AM

1 posts, read 7,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCB0B View Post
Tough call but first off, if you have or are considering having children, plan on private schools if you move anywhere in Yonkers. That said, it depends on whether you're willing to gamble. If not, get as close to Hastings as you can. It's safe. If you're willing to take a chance though, a lot of money stands to be made by anybody who buys close to the proposed yonkers downtown river development if it actually pans out, which is iffy.
Sounds like code talk for too many darkies in the Yonkers area.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 17,553 times
There are other buildings on Warburton that are equally good and much more affordable. In fact, anywhere after Glenwood is okay. You can easily get an apartment for half the cost of that in Hastings.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:35 PM

3 posts, read 15,163 times
since I made my post in May, I actually moved from Hastings to 1155 Warburton which is in Yonkers. So far it's been a really nice building. It's very well staffed with a 24 hr doorman, the maintenance crew are polite and hard working and actually do what they say they will do. The building manager, who also does sales, is a pleasant lady. Condos for sale and rentals in this building. I'm renting for the time being. I have a school age child who is in a private special ed school but am talking with the Yonkers schools about an appropriate placement for her. She most likely will stay in the school she's in but I have found the Yonkers school administrators to be by FAR much more professional and reasonable to work with than Hastings. Hastings' state test scores took a dive last year and they ruthlessly refuse to provide services to special needs children - they just dare you to take legal action. Anyway, this entire area around the Greystone station is very nice, prices are decent. I can't speak for the Glenwood area but I imagine it's equally as nice and maybe even cheaper. I was tired of overpaying for a dump in Hastings - their real estate taxes are very high which bumps rents up. It's just not worth it, whether you have kids or not. I guess one last thing is that Greystone area isn't really a practicable walking distance to shopping if you don't have a car, which is the only disadvantage I can find.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 13,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT3 View Post
I heard that Riverview Club located at 1155 Warburton Ave. Yonkers, NY 10701 is a non-warrantable building. Find out more about it before you make a purchase. I also found out that Laureen P. who pops up on MLS as the agent for that building, that she is a dual agent and there is something going on between her and the ladies that represent this building. I would deeply look into the entire situation.
I am the Director of Sales for Riverview Club Condominium. Sorry you were given misinformation about our property. Riverview Club is a warrantable property and is approved by both FHA and Fannie Mae the two leading government related mortgage agencies. Our purchasers have not had any issues getting financing to purchase a home at Riverview Club Condominium.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 13,660 times
Default Riverview Club Condominium is FHA and Fannie Mae approved

I am the Director of Sales for Riverview Club Condominium and i just wanted to clarify that we are a warrantable property so you can get a mortgage to purchase a home from us from virtually all lenders. Riverview Club Condominium is FHA and Fannie Mae approved, the two leading government related mortgage agencies. Owners (who qualify) are able to purchase a home at Riverview Club with as little as 3.5% down. We welcome you to visit with us to learn more or visit our website at [url=http://www.riverviewclub.com]Riverview Club Condominiums[/url]

Old 12-28-2011, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 6,787 times
Default I would not buy at 1155 Warburton Avenue

As the title states, I would not buy at 1155 Warburton Avenue. The building construction is not good. I live at 1155 Warburton. We've had several heavy rains, and water leaks in from the outside into the apartments and damaged the floors and walls of apartments inside the building. Actually, it happened to a neighbor of mine and he called the sponsoring agent of the building to ask the building to pay for the repairs in his apartment. He got a rude call from the building sponsor saying that his rental insurance should pay for the damages even though it was the shoddy construction on the apartment building that caused the damage. I actually know of several other apartments (owners and renters) who received similar treatment from the building sponsor.

So to put it bluntly: DO NOT BUY.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 6,757 times
Default 1155 Warburton Sucks!

1155 Warburton Ave was poorly designed. It was prefab construction with many issues. When there is a storm, the water leaks in and causes damage. The building is built on stilts and when the train goes by, the entire apt shakes. Its as if there is an earthquake and its quite scary. You almost wonder if one day it will just collapse down the hill. I briefly lived there just before it turned over to condos. I had the option to get in at "rock bottom prices" since I was a tenant. Its good I didnt because now its almost half the price. If you go on real estate websites or one such as craigslist, you will notice the sales manager in the building placing several ads a day. They are desperate!!! Its also a pain in the butt to walk to station. The sidewalks are horrible and when it snows, they dont plow so it makes it almost impossible to walk.
My suggestion is that if you want to live in a wonderful building in that area, go to the Greystone at 1085 Warburton. Its the next bldg to the south. Although its a coop, they keep it in wonderful condition. It has a bunch of amenities, an elevator that takes you down to the station and the staff is there to assist in a minute's notice. Its a better bang for your buck! Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County