U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 05:05 PM

9 posts, read 21,039 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give a run through of the weather in Westchester? Particularly the Bedford area. My family and I are relocating there soon, and were curious. Are days often sunny? Or mostly cloudy? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 06:47 PM

7,079 posts, read 34,539,622 times
It's the northeast. Sunny, rainy, snowy, blustery. Summers are warm, winters are snowy and cold. Typical for the northeast. You can check this at online weather/climate websites.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:06 PM

10,831 posts, read 26,431,825 times
Bedford is a little colder than the city, so the winter snow tends to be more significant, but this is true for most areas above the Cross Westchester Expressway (I-287). The town does a superb job in keeping the roads safe for travel in winter.

Other than that, it's typical NE weather as Viralmd stated.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:26 PM

2,406 posts, read 5,256,390 times
The weather ranges from very pleasant to awfull. But in Bedford it's the animals you'll need to worry about. There are many creatures here that Europeans will find unfamiliar.

You'll spend most of your time indoors, enjoying the outdoors only through your windows. In warm months mosquitos and other insects are a plague, driving residents indoors after dark. Late summer days are impossible to enjoy because of the racket from cicadas droning. Nights are no better with the roar of katydids (a nocturnal, grasshopper-like insect that makes a loud buzzing sound at night). Individual katydids aren't too loud, but in local woods they number in the thousands, making outdoor converstation impossible.

Additionally, you'll have coyotes to worry about. Coyotes are a like small wolves that are known to attack small pets such as cats. Cats and small children should not be left alone outdoors in coyote country (which is all of Northern Westchester).

Other pests include skunks and raccoons. These small mammals will try to enter your house or garage seeking garbage or food scraps. Bats are very common in summer months and are often seen at dusk. Bats instinctively fly near humans, often becoming entangled in hair. All these creatures are common carriers of rabies. Any animal bite requires immediate rabies treatment. This isn't a problem since local doctors know what to do. Most long term residents have had rabies shots at some point, it's no big deal.

Worst are the deer. They are a local plague, eating everything they can reach. You'll notice that in Bedford there's no vegetation in the woods less that 2m tall, the deer eat it all. They also spread "lyme disease," a debilitating degenerative bacterial disease that attacks the joints and nervous system. Many lyme disease sufferers are never able to resume normal lives.

Poisonous snakes aren't often a problem, though copperheads are often found in the numerous old stone walls. Copperheads are like a small rattlesnake but without the rattle.

Local residents don't think about these issues very much, and some even enjoy the constant "struggle against nature." Welcome to Northern Westchester!

Old 02-18-2009, 05:42 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,539,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post

You'll spend most of your time indoors, enjoying the outdoors only through your windows. In warm months mosquitos and other insects are a plague, driving residents indoors after dark. Late summer days are impossible to enjoy because of the racket from cicadas droning. Nights are no better with the roar of katydids (a nocturnal, grasshopper-like insect that makes a loud buzzing sound at night). Individual katydids aren't too loud, but in local woods they number in the thousands, making outdoor converstation impossible.

Sorry, but that is nonsense. We are outside all the time in the summer. I don't know where YOUR Northern Westchester is, but it sounds very different from the one I know.

And Lyme disease has been reported all over the EU, too.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:56 AM

10,831 posts, read 26,431,825 times
I can concur that I have never been drowned out by the noise of the insects, nor the mosquito populations, though there are times when one does need the security of the screened porch. The "noise" level is much lower than traffic would be in the city, and people can converse above the drone of it at outdoor cafes, so it might be a little bit of an exaggeration to compare the background sounds of Northern Westchester to that.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:54 AM

35 posts, read 90,105 times
If you want to compare weather for various parts of Westchester County, Check out this site. You can map points by %Sunny days, Average Summer and Winter highs and lows and Air quality. Weather Averages, Westchester County New York, 2008 at GeoCommons Finder!

Old 03-03-2009, 12:07 PM

1,867 posts, read 3,675,321 times
The northeast has plenty of sun! We get a few cloudy or rainy days and the rest of the week its usually sunny. In the winter, temperatures usually range between 25 and 45 degrees. In summers, temps are in the 80's to 90's, Spring and Fall we get 50's to 70's. Its generally fairly cold for about 5 months of the year.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:03 PM

57 posts, read 217,760 times
The post by kletter1mann ranks as one of the strangest and least informed I've read. Makes Westchester County, which has great summer weather and ambience sound like a dangerous, ominous place. The idea that residents are hiding, should I say cowering, at the prospect of another night with evil insects and animals is a nightmare of the author's imagination only.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:15 PM

1,867 posts, read 3,675,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdf718 View Post
The post by kletter1mann ranks as one of the strangest and least informed I've read. Makes Westchester County, which has great summer weather and ambience sound like a dangerous, ominous place. The idea that residents are hiding, should I say cowering, at the prospect of another night with evil insects and animals is a nightmare of the author's imagination only.
OMG, that post had me cracking up. So true..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or