Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 04:36 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
.....Katonah-Lewisboro is a slightly better school district, not that Fox Lane is bad at all.
This is endlessly debated by locals. On paper it's true based on test scores and all the usual stats. However, Lewisboro (John Jay HS, that is) is also far less diverse the Fox Lane. It's acknowledged (though maybe politically incorrect) to attribute those statistical differences to the diversity. The Bedford School district spends far more on ESL than Lewisboro. If diversity is important to you then you want Fox Lane. The Bedford district elementary schools reflect the local towns. Bedford Village and PR elementary are as white bread as it gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 08:36 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Be careful, generalizations can be dangerous. I'm paying about $11,000 for 3800 sq ft on 2 acres.
Nope, just telling you average for a 2500 sq ft home forgot to mention on 1/2 acre. Yours sounds a little high but the lot could be the reason. And maybe everything is brand new too.

You can appeal if you find comps 10% or more less than the assessment value.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:42 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
I'm paying $6100 for 2400 sq ft on .40 acres. Everything inspected, brand new, re-assessed from inside out including walls and insulation.

Had I not done the work to it, taxes were $5,200!! But not livable. lol

Old 02-22-2009, 10:56 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
This is endlessly debated by locals. On paper it's true based on test scores and all the usual stats. However, Lewisboro (John Jay HS, that is) is also far less diverse the Fox Lane. It's acknowledged (though maybe politically incorrect) to attribute those statistical differences to the diversity. The Bedford School district spends far more on ESL than Lewisboro. If diversity is important to you then you want Fox Lane. The Bedford district elementary schools reflect the local towns. Bedford Village and PR elementary are as white bread as it gets.
Yes, it is a hot topic for debate as to which district is better, between the two Town of Bedford school districts. I knew of families who moved to the other side of the Town of Bedford to get out of the Fox Lane district, however, but that's going back a few years when the performance differences were more pronounced. There has been significant investment in Fox Lane in recent years, which has narrowed the performance gaps between the two. It's a good thing that this has happened, since people don't have to go to the expense of moving across town if they want to use public schools, since neither part of the Town of Bedford is known for low tax rates.

I agree that Bedford Village and Pound Ridge have very good elementary schools, that are equal to Katonah Elementary, Meadow Pond, and Lewisboro ES in performance. For the edge in the area, however, the better performing elementary school is Increase Miller, but it's populated by a largely affluent student base with involved parents.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 4,700 times
Default Scarsdale versus greenwich versus rye?

anybody have any thoughts on these 3 towns? My hubby and I have 2 kids and need to move out of NY. I know schools in scarsdale are better than rye and greenwich (or at least that's what I hear) but taxes are so much cheaper in greenwich. Any thoughts? Also, what are the good areas to live in Greenwich? Is there any housing within a walk to the train?

Old 04-22-2009, 12:14 PM

103 posts, read 572,272 times
Noobie 123,
You might want to post this as a new post. Might get you more replies.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:54 AM

161 posts, read 273,778 times
westchester taxes do serious wallet damage. i would stay in connecticut.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:04 AM

124 posts, read 702,185 times
agree with Deebin. although i realize that for the same size house in darien / new canaan are about 100-200 grants more expensive than in W County. so you either pay the bank or pay the local govt.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:29 AM

4 posts, read 17,730 times
i know people who can challenge your property taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County