Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 12:06 PM

152 posts, read 627,322 times

Advertisements

I'm Single, Sucessful, mid-30s African-American, Middle Class female. Where are some of the best places to live in Westchester, where I can comfortable mix socially?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 01:58 PM

701 posts, read 3,325,858 times
Renting or buying? Budget?

Combining all those factors though, White Plains would have the greatest proportion of singles as well as racial diversity.

In exploring the more suburban towns, you may have to ask yourself the degree of racial diversity you require. Putting aside towns with nonexistent minority populations, would you be comfortable in towns with 3-6% approximate African American populations?

Old 03-03-2009, 08:42 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,933 times
It's hard to make recommendations without knowing whether you want a house, condo, or apartment. Also, it's not clear about what you mean by "mix socially"? Are you referring to racial, socioeconomic or affinity-group mixture?

Old 03-03-2009, 12:10 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,692 times
So in towns where there is the "3-6% AA population", do the small proportion of people of color mix comfortably with the white folks there and vice versa? In other words, do they hang out together or do they sort of segregate on personal time?

Old 03-03-2009, 01:39 PM

quelinda, I was using that number as a rough approximation that describes many of the suburban towns in Westchester. I cannot speak for each individual's experience. Myself, because me and my wife both work, we don't really socialize with people from our own town, regardless of their race, ethnicity, etc. We do socialize with families from our children's daycare, and that's a comfortable mix of people.

I think it's really a matter of individual experience. There are towns like Bronxville-- where the official stats of their school diversity show 96% Caucasian, 4% Asian, leaving 0% for anything else.

But there are other towns, like my own town of Chappaqua. Certainly, it's predominantly Caucasian. The high school is listed as being 89% Caucasian, 8% Asian, 3% Hispanic, and 1% African American.
From my limited perspective, "minorities" seem to mix pretty comfortably. There is certainly no outright discrimination. At the same time, there may be an extra glance from people here and there... and an individual may or may not be comfortable being one of the only minorities in any group.

Where minorities populations are so small... like the 3% range... Segregation is practically impossible (Who would the minority students hang out with if there are only 3 African American students and 8 Hispanic students in the entire high school?) Exclusion is certainly possible, but I don't really see it. (Again, my very limited perspective).

If anything, I see segregation more commonly in areas with greater racial diversity. For example, there was recently a discussion of Hartsdale schools. The area is certainly racially diverse. But it is also very segregated -- The High School is only 11% Caucasian. It is 59% African American, and 24% Hispanic. In other words, for the most part, the white families send their kids to private school, and the minority families utilize the public school.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:17 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,692 times
I met an African-American from Ossining who found his kids' school diverse and he seems happy in where he and his family are living.

Dont forget too that there are tons of varying ethnic groups in the Bronx and other parts of the City, so certainly there is a close proximity to a more diverse location at any rate.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:34 PM

I don't know that much about Ossining, but it does appear the schools are quite diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County