Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 07:15 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
Not sure why you say townhouses are out of the question as they often have the square footage you seek. On the inside, if in a quality development, it is no different than any other single family home. On the outside, obvious differences. You can't change the exterior, you are close to neighbors, and you don't privately own a large piece of property.

Overall, I would say my townhouse is more spacious and more modern than typical single family homes that are 100k more expensive. (cheaper because you don't privately own the land.

To answer you question, with an income in the mid 100s, home expenses probably should not exceed 3,000-3,500 per month.
Eeek, I currently pay thousands less for my housing . There is nothing wrong with townhouses per se, just for me I dream of the days when I was very young and lived in a small town in CT (up to age 13 when I moved to the city..and am stuck here decades later). I love a large yard with trees and grass and privacy. The yard is to me almost as important as the house. I just long to get back to that someday soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 07:22 PM

701 posts, read 3,325,858 times
Ahhh yes... A true yard of your own requires single family home ownership.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:26 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,692 times
bmw, now I know what you mean by the plaster walls. They have that uneven look. I must be looking at them right now in our 1890's brownstone.

My mom is an artist and alway detested the houses built starting in the 50's, preferring only older homes (I lived in a 3 different 100-150 year old houses). So I know how interesting and tasteful they can be. But for me, they feel sort of creepy..like a ghost will leap out [and I dont even believe in ghosts..mostly lol]. Maybe with a gut renovation they would feel less creepy. Also, I can't stand the large heaters though I bet they give superior heat. But the yards are almost always spectacular. So large and "un-perfect" rather than manicured and suburban cookie cutter looking.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:28 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
bmw, now I know what you mean by the plaster walls. They have that uneven look. I must be looking at them right now in our 1890's brownstone.

My mom is an artist and alway detested the houses built starting in the 50's, preferring only older homes (I lived in a 3 different 100-150 year old houses). So I know how interesting and tasteful they can be. But for me, they feel sort of creepy..like a ghost will leap out [and I dont even believe in ghosts..mostly lol]. Maybe with a gut renovation they would feel less creepy. Also, I can't stand the large heaters though I bet they give superior heat. But the yards are almost always spectacular. So large and "un-perfect" rather than manicured and suburban cookie cutter looking.
Exactly...that's why they generally tend to sand the walls to start and inbetween coats to get the walls smooth with the paint on the plaster.

A 1920s/1930s house should not be very creepy, especially the cottage revivals that were generally less than 2000 square feet. A family friend lived in a house that's from the Revolutionary era and it was reputed to be haunted, and some people could not handle that house. And, other houses can be creepy as well, especially Victorians, for some reason they seem more scary to me. Yes, a yard is great, especially with mature landscaping, since it's something that has evolved over time as opposed to have been landscaped by the trendy landscape architect in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County