U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 06:17 PM

24 posts, read 101,261 times

Advertisements

We are looking at houses in both Greenwich (Riverside), Rye and Scarsdale (Greenacre and Foxmeadow). We have two kids that are going to kindergarten soon so school is important for us. Our price range is in the 9s in Westchester and 1mm in Greenwich (due to prior's high tax) at the max. Our questions are:
1) Why do people choose Rye over Greenwich when it comes to schools. These two are very close in terms of commuting to the city. Rye has great reputation for its school and Greenwich is not famous for its schools but how not great is it that makes the 15000/yr more in tax in Rye worth it?
2) How to differentiate differenct parts or school districts of Rye? Which is more preferable over others? City-data only gives demographics of Rye in general, not deferentiating Rye, Rye City, Rye Town, Rye Brook, Brind Brook (not sure I list them right).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 06:35 PM

7,079 posts, read 34,456,327 times
The Rye schools don't have as good a reputation as the Scarsdale schools (which you asked about in your other post). And you got a response on the Greenwich schools in your prior thread....

Old 03-21-2009, 07:00 PM

305 posts, read 1,683,738 times
Scarsdale schools do have a better reputation than Rye or Greenwich at least in terms of all the data that is available on SAT scores, student to teacher ratio, AP classes etc. That does not mean that Rye and Greenwich are not excellent schools just that on paper Scarsdale beats them both.
Rye schools have a better reputation than Greenwich schools. Greenwich schools are a little more diverse than Rye. Almost everyone in Rye is wealthy where as Greenwich has some areas where people are not as wealthy.
Either way, you can't go wrong with any of the schools you listed above. All of them are excellent and your children will have a great quality of education no matter which of the 3 you pick. Therefore, you are better off basing your decision on what town you prefer to live in rather than the school district.
Are the 15K in taxes worth it? I would say so otherwise all of us who live in Weschester would probably choose to live elsewhere where the taxes are lower but that's just my opinion. Good Luck.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:15 PM

Thanks moderator and jyyanks. I read prior discussion for Rye and Scarsdale tax. Those are very very useful information for us.
If CT schools are as good as Westchester, what do we get out of the extra $15k/yr in tax? The score systems are different so I cannot really compare the scores across the two states. What i see is greenwich houses are 200k more expensive than similar houses in Scarsdale / Rye. And I knew two family chose Westchester (Armonk and New Canaan) because they cannot find decent house in Greenwich with their money. I like Greenwich's diversity and people seem more laidback than Westchester (at least for realtors I met). But I really don't wanna take risk on this decision (no more move after this one until my kids are out of school for college). I am thinking to visit Greenwich High but not sure if I can get anything out of it.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:19 AM

701 posts, read 2,921,792 times
Visiting the schools is never a bad idea.

I would not say Greenwich schools are just as good. Many Greenwich affluent residents opt for private schools. In Rye, if people opt for private schools, it is not for academic reasons. Further, you identified the multiple "Rye" districts. Each is a bit different in substance and quality.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:21 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,677,866 times
Question Other Taxes 2 Consider

Depending upon where you live now...you might want to consider filling out the state tax returns for the areas you are considering......for if you work in NY and live in CT...you might have to pay a commuter tax...if not now...I am sure one will be coming in an attempt to balance the budget......of course the same goes for CT...

This might be a real eye opener for you...for in my quest to find a retirement home...I have been filling out (not filing) the tax returns for the states that I have been considering...it is simply amazing how different states tax you...if not a property tax...then a higher income tax...or some other tax to separate you from your money......if NY has it's way...anyone making over 250K is going to get a free enema......

Old 03-22-2009, 06:48 AM

Commuter taxes you pay in one state are deductible from the taxes in your home state.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:33 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,677,866 times
Talking Yes They Are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Commuter taxes you pay in one state are deductible from the taxes in your home state.
You are absolutely right...you can deduct commuter taxes...but the purpose of my comment was that if you fill out the state tax forms and find out the difference in taxes paid is minimal...you might choose Westchester over Greenwich...just something that people rarely consider until it's time to fill them out (tax forms)...I did not even mention the commuting factor...which could easily add 20 to 30 minutes or more...depending upon traffic...and as we all know...you cannot deduct time spent in a car traveling to and from work...

Old 03-22-2009, 04:19 PM

Thanx Havoc315. That's what I was thinking too.
Isn't commuter tax part of income tax? that's out of my control. i am talking about property tax, which I can control by choosing where to live. With 15k/ yr tax money from K-8th grade, which totals 140k, I can almost afford sending both kids to private high school if Greenwich High is not a good choice. That's why I wonder what makes people choose to live in Rye vs. Greenwich.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:45 PM

Private schools in this area are about $30K/year. Regardless of the grade. Two children, going from 8 through senior year, would be about $300,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County