Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2007, 09:59 AM

131 posts, read 790,731 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We're planning our move from Westchester county to Rochester, which will be at the end of June. I'm in the process of interviewing movers, and was wondering if anyone out there has had experience with either Gold Service Movers (Wheaton) in White Plains, Clancy Movers (United), or Allied Van Lines?
So far I've had agents from Gold and Clancy come to the house; both seemed professional and both gave binding estimates (e.g., the price they quote will be the price we pay.) However, the two estimates were very different--Gold was about $2000 more than Clancy--so I'm not sure how to account for that! They both seem to offer similar services--plastic-wrapping the upholstered furniture, same crew for loading & unloading, etc. I was thinking if anyone had any personal experiences to share, it would help.
The only difference I could see was that Gold thought the move would take 3 days--one to load, one for travel and one to unload--while Clancy said it could be done in 2.
FYI, we are doing all of our own packing.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 12:43 PM

86 posts, read 387,326 times
When we hired a less expensive moving company, we saw why they were less expensive, and depending on how fussy you are will depend on what is right for you. To elaborate, our crew consisted of one english speaking guy, being helped by 3 guys who didn't understand a word of English - so anything I wanted to tell them - they had to direct me to the bi-lingual boss, who then translated. They did fine, but it got a little old not being able to communicate with people who are handling your things.

The reasons could be many, but that is one from my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County