U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 01:13 AM

5 posts, read 26,358 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

This is my first post - probably of many as I am so confused!!

I will be moving shortly to NY with my husband and 2 large dogs (so no appartment for us ). We will hopefully live in a house with a large(ish) garden and 3 bedrooms. Anyway just starting to consider where we will live as I have absoloutly no idea! so I have a couple of questions to get me started.

1. Thinking of living in White Plains in Westchester as one option. Does anyone know of any nices areas in White Plains that are only a short distance to the train station as we will be commuting Grand Central Station.

2. Can anyone suggest any other alternatives to White Plains that are close to a station?

3. Which do you prefer Westchester or New Jersy?

4. Any ideas on nice areas in New Jersy that are easy to commute from?

Thanks very much for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 05:41 AM

12,263 posts, read 9,412,569 times
A good way to get started is to check out the link for the train, Metro-North, at http://www.mta.info/mnr/. They have schedules and maps to see what town is on what train line. Good luck and welcome to the land of sticker shock.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:25 AM

6,484 posts, read 16,100,220 times
And commuting information from Jersey is available at http://www.njtransit.com

Old 03-27-2007, 07:58 PM

359 posts, read 2,427,441 times
How does the fare system of Metro-North Work? Is it a flat rate like the subway or does it make a difference how far you go. If its a flat rate how much is it?

Old 03-27-2007, 08:49 PM

12,263 posts, read 9,412,569 times
It's not a flat rate. Check out that Metro-North link above and you can find the rates for each town.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:01 AM

2,806 posts, read 15,183,783 times
Definitely not a flat rate on Metro North and there are differing prices for peak (during rush hour) and non-peak trains. From White Plains I think a one way peak ticket costs $8.50 each way. Non-peak is $6.25. Of course this price is much lower if you buy a monthly pass.

There was an excellent article in the NY Times with a GREAT graph that showed the various times it took on trains to reach Manhattan on March 18th. I can't seem to find the article at the moment, but will look around for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJerzyKidUNO View Post
How does the fare system of Metro-North Work? Is it a flat rate like the subway or does it make a difference how far you go. If its a flat rate how much is it?

Old 03-28-2007, 01:03 AM

Found the map: http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/20...N_GRAPHIC.html

This thing is really helpful in figuring out how far the commute on the train will be.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:23 PM

3 posts, read 21,907 times
what about Jersey City? It's not as bad as it used to be
PATH runs 24/7 to Manhattan, 15-20 minutes to Midtown

http://www.gentrify.us/jerseycity.html (broken link)

Old 04-04-2007, 04:52 AM

5 posts, read 26,358 times
Many thanks everyone for your replies! And thanks Pete for your message.

We think Lower Westchester could be for us. We would like a reasonable sized house with a large garden for our dogs. What are the nicest areas to live within the 30 min commute zone. We would also like to be quite close to Rye as we will have to spend a reasonable amount of time there too. Schools are not important. Also, does anyone know of a decent rental agent in this area - I can't seem to find many rentals at all in that area. Our budget will be around $6500.

Thank you all again!

Old 04-04-2007, 10:15 AM

Did you look on www.craigslist.com ? They have a lot of rentals on there. If schools are not important, maybe you could look into towns like White Plains & Hartsdale, which have a lot of good places to rent & nice downtowns, but their school districts are not the best.

A lot of the rentals in Westchester are in apartment buildings though, so this might make things a little bit difficult (because of the dogs). I think it might be best if you contact a real estate agent who deals with rentals and they can guide u thru this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or