Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2009, 10:08 PM

2,617 posts, read 6,986,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityOnDown5250 View Post
Pleasantville is truly all in the name : Pleasant. It's your typical town. It's got great facitlies like resturants, good parks, people are pleasant, everything is just pleasant. In Westchester you got towns that are either very rich or very poor, but Pleasntville is pleasantly middle class, not too much of anything.
Pleasant indeed! A European colleague of mine lived in Pleasantville several years back and said exactly the same thing. They had young kids and were very happy there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 11:07 PM

6 posts, read 75,778 times
Thanks for the very informative replies! bmwguydc , I'm very grateful for the great information you posted and am quite curious to check out Eastchester and Harrison, based on your descriptions. I'm also quite happy to hear people chime in on what Pleasantville is like. My wife and I took some time today to walk around Pleasantville, and I have to say that it does have quite a different feel from Larchmont. There seemed to be more of a mix of people from different economic strata, lending the feel that it was more down to earth and, for me, relatable. This seems to jive with the comments people have posted about Pleasantville thus far, which is encouraging. I'd love to look in more northern Westchester, given the posts about its more laid-back and welcoming nature, but my wife teaches at NYU and still needs to be able to commute into southern Manhattan. From Pleasantville via Metro North and then the subway, the commute is already more than an hour each way, so we don't want to venture farther north.

Thanks again to everyone who's replied to my post! If anyone has more to add about Eastchester, Harrison, or Pleasantville, I would be glad to hear it.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:32 AM

701 posts, read 3,313,138 times
I understand the commuting concerns of going further north. But due to express trains, Croton can actually be a shorter commute than Pleasantville. The rest of northern Westchester would be longer.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:23 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,172,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
I understand the commuting concerns of going further north. But due to express trains, Croton can actually be a shorter commute than Pleasantville. The rest of northern Westchester would be longer.
That's true. The morning trains from Pleasantville to GC are from 46 to 52 minutes, as opposed to 42 to 53 from Croton (excluding locals). When I was house hunting I looked closely at schedules and did dry-runs from different towns, and discovered that even a 10-15 minute drive to the Croton station was a faster commute than from the other northern Westchester towns I was considering. I've posted this recently, but I think this graphic from the Times helps to clarify that the trip can be shorter from towns that are farther north:

The New York Times > New York Region > Image > Travel Times on Commuter Rail

Old 10-11-2015, 06:26 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,550,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billin View Post
Hi all,

I'm married with three young kids, ages 6, 3, and 1. We've been living in Larchmont for roughly 3 years now and want to make a move, because of negative experiences we've had here due to class and race issues (I'm of Asian descent, while my wife is of German/Russian stock) That being said, we've been looking around at different towns in Westchester to try and fit our needs. The characteristics we're looking for are:
1) a family-friendly town, with a fair percentage of residents having kids
2) a friendly town in general, devoid of the snobbery
3) a walkable downtown with interesting shops/places of interest/restaurants
4) a racially / culturally diverse population, though this is actually a much, much smaller consideration than the friendliness of the town in general. I would overwhelmingly prefer a place that is 99.999% Caucasian but very friendly vs. one that has a broad mix of ethnicities domainated by hyper-competitive, snobby people.

So, all that being said, we keep hearing good things about Pleasantville, and in the past few outings we've made out there, it seems to match all our criteria, excepting perhaps #4, which is fine. Can anyone on this forum give the inside scoop on Pleasantville, i.e. what the people are like in general, whether they might be accepting of an educated, interracial family, and what the downtown is like?

I'd be very grateful for any guidance you have to offer!
Dude its Westchester, snobby is Westchester snobby is life, snobby is law

No I'm serious dude you can't escape that one up here.

As for race, if you can afford it, live in White Plains. Race really isn't an issue here and you'll see Blacks, Whites, Latinas, Asians, all together hanging out. At times, you'll think Whites are the minority here (48% White). Moreover, in luck as certain places in Westchester are building more affordable housing rent only though which sucks. So yep expect to see a huge increase in diversity in certain parts of Westchester over the next decade, especially White Plains.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:26 AM

3 posts, read 6,501 times
Quote:
Hi all,

I'm married with three young kids, ages 6, 3, and 1. We've been living in Larchmont for roughly 3 years now and want to make a move, because of negative experiences we've had here due to class and race issues (I'm of Asian descent, while my wife is of German/Russian stock) That being said, we've been looking around at different towns in Westchester to try and fit our needs. The characteristics we're looking for are:
1) a family-friendly town, with a fair percentage of residents having kids
2) a friendly town in general, devoid of the snobbery
3) a walkable downtown with interesting shops/places of interest/restaurants
4) a racially / culturally diverse population, though this is actually a much, much smaller consideration than the friendliness of the town in general. I would overwhelmingly prefer a place that is 99.999% Caucasian but very friendly vs. one that has a broad mix of ethnicities domainated by hyper-competitive, snobby people.

So, all that being said, we keep hearing good things about Pleasantville, and in the past few outings we've made out there, it seems to match all our criteria, excepting perhaps #4, which is fine. Can anyone on this forum give the inside scoop on Pleasantville, i.e. what the people are like in general, whether they might be accepting of an educated, interracial family, and what the downtown is like?

I'd be very grateful for any guidance you have to offer!
Our family is considering moving to Pleasantville, too and after reading your OP, realized that we have similar concerns. Did you eventually decide on Pleasantville? If not, what made you not choose it?

Old 02-22-2016, 01:58 PM

6 posts, read 75,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian's Champion View Post
Our family is considering moving to Pleasantville, too and after reading your OP, realized that we have similar concerns. Did you eventually decide on Pleasantville? If not, what made you not choose it?
Hi Julian's Champion,

We did, indeed, choose Pleasantville 6+ years ago, and have been very happy with our choice. The town is everything we could have hoped for - friendly people, laid-back town, good schools, interesting cultural events (Jacob Burns theater, farmer's market). Our only gripe might be the taxes, but that's Westchester for you. Still, given the chance to do it over again, we would have chosen Pleasantville again!

Best,
Bill

Old 02-22-2016, 04:08 PM

789 posts, read 697,790 times
Quote:
Hi Julian's Champion,

We did, indeed, choose Pleasantville 6+ years ago, and have been very happy with our choice. The town is everything we could have hoped for - friendly people, laid-back town, good schools, interesting cultural events (Jacob Burns theater, farmer's market). Our only gripe might be the taxes, but that's Westchester for you. Still, given the chance to do it over again, we would have chosen Pleasantville again!

Best,
Bill
Nice to see a post come full circle like this. Good job!

Old 02-12-2023, 02:13 AM

1 posts, read 467 times
Thank you Bill for this great question and everyone for your responses. My husband and I are Black and we have a newborn. We currently own in New Rochelle. Our current house is in need of a lot of updates and we can either move or renovate. We have many of the same criteria / concerns as Bill in his initial post.

Given a number of years have passed, I would appreciate any comments on Pleasantville vs New Rochelle.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County