Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:48 PM

395 posts, read 1,617,730 times

Advertisements

wow - that article is amazing. I am planning a move to Westchester this summer and really want to avoid this "mean mom" scenario. Are Croton and Cortlandt a little better in this regard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 02:55 PM

701 posts, read 3,324,584 times
I would say that Croton is a bit better in that regard, but the reality is, every town seems to be broken down between two-income families, and stay-at-home-mom families.

Our children attend a daycare center, where virtually every parent works. No stay-at-home moms. And there is very little of the cliquish behavior described in the article.

On the other hand, my sister-in-law is a Chappaqua-stay-at-home mom, and I've seen her having to deal with "mom cliques."

I don't mean to oversimplify or stereotype, but it does seem to be more of a problem among stay-at-home-moms, who have the time to create petty cliques as their whole life revolves around their little town and other moms. But when both parents commute into the city, there seems to be less opportunity for clique building and clique exclusions.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:07 PM

395 posts, read 1,617,730 times
We are in the 2-income camp as well, although both of us with somewhat flexible schedules enabling us to have some involvement during weekdays. I think I'll be able to get along and hold my own just about anywhere, I just don't like the thought of my kids being shunned because I can't work every bake sale or attend every PTA meeting, much less over the fact that I don't drive a Porche Cayenne.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:07 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Not every area is quite that bad. Croton is not as bad, nor is much of Northern Westchester. There's a divide, but it's more due to the limitations of time with working mothers and the SAHMs who feel inferior, as was stated in the article. You don't need a Cayenne, but perhaps you should consider getting at least an X5.

But seriously, in some towns in Northern Westchester, and adjoining Fairfield, there's an inverse relationship to the level of wealth and the vehicle driven, especially around town. The people driving the scruffy Volvo, older Benz wagon, or Suburban are likely to be wealthier than their counterparts in the new GL550 or Cayenne.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:05 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Not every area is quite that bad. Croton is not as bad, nor is much of Northern Westchester. There's a divide, but it's more due to the limitations of time with working mothers and the SAHMs who feel inferior, as was stated in the article. You don't need a Cayenne, but perhaps you should consider getting at least an X5.

But seriously, in some towns in Northern Westchester, and adjoining Fairfield, there's an inverse relationship to the level of wealth and the vehicle driven, especially around town. The people driving the scruffy Volvo, older Benz wagon, or Suburban are likely to be wealthier than their counterparts in the new GL550 or Cayenne.
Or, better yet, make a contrarian statement with a beater Suburban covered with mud from Bedford dirt roads. You'll be able to gauge community values according to the reactions you draw. bmwguydc refers, of course, to Bedford Village, South Salem Pound Ridge, Ridgefield, etc., and he's absolutely right. Same applies to clothes, grooming, etc. It's pretty funny sometimes.

As for the SAHM stuff, there's a world of difference in attitude between when mom feels (or is) compelled to work to make ends meet or support the lifestyle vs when she chooses to work but has the option not to. It's all about self-confidence and sources of validation. It seems like the former are far more prevelant down county.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:47 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times
bmw summarized it well; in any wealthy area (of any region not just NYC), the wealthiest rarely live in the biggest or most costly houses; sure, they often drive a Mercedes but it's usually not the latest or most costly model; many parents are Harvard alums and may be prominent executives in prestigious industries but seem rather mellow about their kids' achievements or college aspirations

In my expce, the wealthiest and highest achieving parents are some of most low-profile but interesting/inspiring people to be around....thankfully, it's usually ones who are neither particularly wealthy nor smart who tend to be most annoying and class conscious....but amusingly mockable...and suspect the kids of such parents are not far removed from parents' negative behavior

Old 05-26-2009, 06:18 PM

15 posts, read 77,805 times
I just moved to the area and we are planning on buying a house in Larchmont. Having grown up around boats and water as well as having a French wife I think it is a right choice for us. I am originally from a very wealthy town outside of Detroit. People there are modest and many people with whom I went to school had fathers who were CEO's of major US corporations. Most of the time I had no idea what their father or mother did for a living until I read about them in the newspaper. I think it is so funny how people analyze each other in the NY area. While growing up I didn't even notice what kind of car people drove, nor would I make any kind of assumption based on the car they were driving. We recently got transferred to New York so we HAD to relocate here and I have a feeling it is going to be a tough time getting used to the people and attitude around here. Please tell me there are some "normal" people living in these towns!!!

Old 05-26-2009, 09:19 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhutt View Post
I just moved to the area and we are planning on buying a house in Larchmont. Having grown up around boats and water as well as having a French wife I think it is a right choice for us. I am originally from a very wealthy town outside of Detroit. People there are modest and many people with whom I went to school had fathers who were CEO's of major US corporations. Most of the time I had no idea what their father or mother did for a living until I read about them in the newspaper. I think it is so funny how people analyze each other in the NY area. While growing up I didn't even notice what kind of car people drove, nor would I make any kind of assumption based on the car they were driving. We recently got transferred to New York so we HAD to relocate here and I have a feeling it is going to be a tough time getting used to the people and attitude around here. Please tell me there are some "normal" people living in these towns!!!
Larchmont is a great town and the French American School people are terrific. So you can relax - at least a little. You're certain to encounter several "normal" people in Larchmont, possibly more!

Bear in mind that this forum is the best possible enabler of those inclined to pontificate and analyze this stuff, such as myself. Just don't take it too seriously.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:46 AM

3 posts, read 9,187 times
Definitely don't it too seriously. All of these people exist in Westchester, but so do down-to-earth friendly people. I would say there are a lot of generalizations going on here. I am a lifelong resident and wouldn't move here if I read this string...

Old 09-21-2009, 03:38 PM

124 posts, read 701,901 times
the mom cliques is very sad....not only in wealthy but in not so wealthy towns. i think it's just the nature of people here, like the article mentioned: exclusivity happens in catholic school. people here in general are very hypercritical, super pretentious and extremely snobbish. They believe being religious make kind people but inside they never want to be nice nor kind nor generous...it's all a mask or just a social vehicle. We are living in the most diversified region in the county and people here cannot be more close-minded, let alone other part of this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County