U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 08:54 AM

1,007 posts, read 1,852,474 times

Advertisements

Since your husband works near Yankee Stadium, he's not too far from the GW Bridge. The hardest part of commuting to Rockland from the Bronx will be getting on to the GW Bridge. Traffic will be very slow on the Major Deegan trying to get to the bridge, but once you've done that, the rest of the commute should be OK. You can take the Palisades Parkway right up to Rockland. It can be crowded during peak traffic times, but it's never as slow as 287 West is. It'll keep you moving at 50 mph or so, anyway. I'd probably get off at the exit for Route 9W north (it's the one past the exit for Alpine and the Boy Scout camp -exit 4, I believe), and just follow that through Palisades, Piermont and Grandview right into Nyack.
For you, you could take the Harlem River Drive up to the GW, but again the traffic on the HRD leading up to the GW is going to be pretty bad at rush hour.
You really have to test out different routes and see if the time needed to get up to Rockland after work every day is something that you'd be willing to deal with on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 05:34 PM

413 posts, read 915,687 times
My husband and I chose Pelham over Nyack. The houses in Westchester looked better built than those in Rockland. The prices were not substantially different, when updating etc. was factored in. The houses in Rockland seemed to be built as summer houses, not with good heating systems etc. In Westchester, you can find solid neighborhoods with well-built year-round houses. Westchester is not as flashy; the views are not as good. But it's really comfortable, safe, and convenient.

I don't regret buying in Westchester. You get a lot for your taxes here. Your home values don't really decrease relative to the market.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:27 PM

7,079 posts, read 34,459,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonny View Post
My husband and I chose Pelham over Nyack. The houses in Westchester looked better built than those in Rockland. The prices were not substantially different, when updating etc. was factored in. The houses in Rockland seemed to be built as summer houses, not with good heating systems etc. In Westchester, you can find solid neighborhoods with well-built year-round houses. Westchester is not as flashy; the views are not as good. But it's really comfortable, safe, and convenient.
I don't think you can generalize from Nyack. There are MANY lovely areas -with beautiful homes - in Rockland County.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:06 AM

5 posts, read 13,516 times
There is always the midnight shift! If this this shift is an option for you then it's worth it!

Old 04-04-2009, 10:11 AM

5 posts, read 13,516 times
Oppps! Sorry......I just realized that you are a teacher and work a tradtional shift. Don't mind me.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:40 AM

There are many many many beautiful areas in Rockland, Orange, and Ulster. In my opinion, it's a spectacular area that is not too far from the city. Both my husband and I grew up on 'that side of the river,' and love it. But we couldn't find houses as well built as we found in Westchester there. There aren't as many of the houses built during the depression, for example, that are solid construction. And, if you are commuting five days a week, it's tough.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:59 AM

701 posts, read 2,921,792 times
Not sure what you mean by "well built" houses.
You will find more "older" houses in Westchester, but both Rockland and Westchester are dominated by homes built in the 1960s and later. Can certainly argue over the aesthetics of such homes, but they are typically "well built."

In terms of your earlier post -- Rockland houses as "summer" houses -- Not sure where that came from. Virtually all of Rockland County is typical metropolitan suburbia, built up in the 1960's and 1970's. If anything, the heating and air conditioning systems are more modern than Westchester, which tend to be older. Central air conditioning, gas heating systems, are virtually everywhere in Rockland. Hardly "summer houses."

In terms of price differences-- There is no comparison. Pelham, and virtually all of Westchester, is significantly more expensive than Rockland County. That's the price tag of the more convenient commute.
A home that goes for $700,000 in a nice part of Rockland, easily goes for $900,000+ in nicer Westchester towns.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:49 PM

By summer houses, I was referring to the houses built in Piermont, which was at one time, I thought, a resort town -- late 1800s early 1900s. There are other parts of Rockland and Orange that were resorts at one time, too. The houses in my price range were not well upgraded with good heating systems. The insulation was shabby too.

I haven't looked at the market in a while. But, whenever I do, I check out whether I could save money by moving to Rockland or Orange. I can never justify the move financially. I don't look at the houses built in the 50s, 60s and 70s, though. I tend to look at the older houses.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:01 PM

701 posts, read 2,921,792 times
Yes, Piermont does have a few older homes of the type that you're describing. But that's a tiny percentage of the homes in the county -- it's even a tiny percentage of the homes in Piermont. If I had to guess in terms of percentage, I'd easily say that 95-99% of the homes in Rockland, and even 90% of the homes in Piermont, were built after 1950.

Going back to an earlier time in the 20th century, parks of ROckland were considered a retreat from the city, with some resorts, etc. It also served as a residential retreat for some NYC elite. Such as Helen Hayes and her home, "Pretty Penny" in Nyack. (Later bought by Rosie O'Donnel)

Old 04-17-2009, 02:47 AM

33 posts, read 210,695 times
the commute is very difficult. In the morning you can take a bus from Rockland to grand central that will be over one hour. At night if you avoid rush hour, it will take also at least one to one and a half hours.

That's two to three hours per day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County