U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 03:02 AM

9 posts, read 72,026 times

Advertisements

We're moving to Westchester from CA this summer and looking at towns with great public school districts such as Rye, Bronxville, and Scarsdale. My daughter will be 5 at the end of October. My understanding is that most of the districts have either a Dec. 1 or Dec. 31 age cut-off for K. In Westchester how common is it for children with fall birthdays to start Kindergarten at age four vs. to be held back a year? The school she was going to attend in CA had a Sept. 1 cut-off so she was going to do a Pre-K year, and now we're trying to decide whether to enroll her in K or Pre-K in NY. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 05:11 AM

701 posts, read 2,072,860 times
It is not uncommon. Just a personal decision. Our son turns 5 in November and we are holding him back.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:22 AM

1,867 posts, read 2,621,039 times
From what I learned yesterday while visiting Dobbs Ferry, most of the school systems don't have a public pre-K program. These people were from DF and Hastings-on-Hudson. What about other school districts in Westchester, at what age does public school start?

Old 04-20-2009, 09:59 AM

December 1 and December 31 are common cutoffs throughout the county. True, there aren't many public pre-k programs, but you will find pre-k programs run by non-profits, and other somewhat affordable programs.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:06 PM

142 posts, read 604,235 times
Most Westchester County schools have a Dec.31 cut-off date. A few have Dec.1. From my experience most people send their kids w an October birthday- especially girls. It seems more common for boys with later birthdays to be held back. There are plenty of December birthdays in my son's kindergarten class. Have your child go through the kindergarten evaluation and the district will let you know if she is ready- maybe helping you with your decision. good luck.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:56 PM

148 posts, read 496,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyg View Post
Most Westchester County schools have a Dec.31 cut-off date. A few have Dec.1. From my experience most people send their kids w an October birthday- especially girls. It seems more common for boys with later birthdays to be held back. There are plenty of December birthdays in my son's kindergarten class. Have your child go through the kindergarten evaluation and the district will let you know if she is ready- maybe helping you with your decision. good luck.
Yes, majority especially in districts like Rye, Scarsdale, Bronxville school districts will hold their kids back another year especially boys. Only a handful of schools has a December 1 cutoff by the way 90% have a December 31 cutoff. Having her go through the evaluation is a great idea, you could also assess her social maturity through playdates etc. and see whether you think she will be ready for kindergarten a lot.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:19 PM

297 posts, read 1,205,091 times
Dec 31 is usually the cutoff but parents can choose whether they want to hold their kids back or not. Also, quelinda is correct, as far as I know only Yonkers has a public PreK program. Most of the other districts start with Kindergarden. However, there are a ton of private preschools all over Westchester

Old 04-28-2009, 05:30 PM

148 posts, read 496,950 times
Mamaroneck School district has a free public pre-k for 4 year olds, entrance is by lottery though.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:57 AM

142 posts, read 604,235 times
A lot of Westchester preschools now have late birthday pre-k classes. But as I said before, girls with late birthdays rarely have difficulty in kindergarten- as boys are lagging about 9 months behind girls in terms of social skills. You should have had her evaluated at this point for incoming kindergarten.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:22 PM

The problem with having the school district evaluate them -- In my experience, with my own son, the schools will basically always say to start the child on time.

In the end, it's a decision that the parent must make, just based on their own comfort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County