U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 14,055 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
we are moving from CA to NY State this May. My husband will work in White Plains and we are looking for a nice place to live. Which Area around White Plains can you recommend to live at? Is Conneticut cheaper? Hope, you can help us decide
Thanks! Tina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 12:43 PM

7,079 posts, read 34,459,029 times
You can help us help you if you give us a budget, tell us whether you want to rent or buy and how long a commute is tolerable.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:35 PM

490 posts, read 1,595,057 times
CT could be a bit less, depends. To save, you have to go further in and the commute can be crazy. Personally, think is not worth the trouble to live in CT and to go to work in WP. You can look into WP itself, it has nice areas that are residential. Other nice towns nearby are Harrison, Mamaroneck, Hartsdale, Pleasantville...there are more. You should post what are you looking in a place-what would make you happy, your budget limitations and if schools are important. Once we know that, it will be easier to give you our ideas.

Last edited by ambarstone; 04-30-2009 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-01-2009, 07:43 AM

2,397 posts, read 5,219,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
<<<snip>>> Other nice towns nearby are Harrison, Mamaroneck, Hartsdale, Pleasantville...there are more. You should post what are you looking in a place-what would make you happy, your budget limitations and if schools are important. Once we know that, it will be easier to give you our ideas.
If the commute is to White Plains, I think it's silly to live to the south - higher taxes, smaller lots, less house for your money, more crowded, more hectic, more urban, generally lower QOL (Quality Of Life) IMHO. The only real plus is shorter NYC commute (which is why people are there to begin with). Unless these things are plusses for you, look to the North (including Pleasantville). Also consider Chappaqua, Katonah, Somers, Bedford, Pound Ridge, Mt Kisco, etc. All are a terrific commute to White Plains.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:05 AM

8 posts, read 31,161 times
Some nice areas of White Plains are North White Plains (Zipcode 10603) or the Highland Area of White Plains, which is near Highland Middle School. Homes can range from $550,000 and up depending on where you are looking. I agree, other areas that are near WP are Harrison, Larchmont, Hartsdale, Port Chester, and Purchase to name a few. Good luck on your move to NY!

Old 09-24-2009, 01:22 AM

14 posts, read 46,646 times
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I've found this forum to be extremely helpful. Gives me a good feeling that we'll be surrounded by nice people in Westchester.

I'll definitely look into the Highlands section. Can anyone tell me what postcode it is? I looked up Prospect, Soundview & Hartsdale Ave on the map but found Prospect Avenue to be quite far away from the other roads.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:53 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,459,029 times
The problem with Hartsdale is the school system. Not good.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:19 AM

29 posts, read 129,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
If the commute is to White Plains, I think it's silly to live to the south - higher taxes, smaller lots, less house for your money, more crowded, more hectic, more urban, generally lower QOL (Quality Of Life) IMHO. The only real plus is shorter NYC commute (which is why people are there to begin with). Unless these things are plusses for you, look to the North (including Pleasantville). Also consider Chappaqua, Katonah, Somers, Bedford, Pound Ridge, Mt Kisco, etc. All are a terrific commute to White Plains.
That is a major generalization, loaded with provincial stereotypes. Sure the areas like Katonah and Pound Ridge are going to be more tranquil, but you are also becoming a slave to your car. A lot of the other towns north such as Yorktown and Mt Kisco are loaded with sprawl and have very little feel of a community. I disagree strongly that someone living in Harrison, Larchmont or Rye has a lower quality of life than someone living in Mt Kisco or Somers. As for the taxes, Yorktown and Somers are very high.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:25 AM

205 posts, read 472,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJMing View Post
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I've found this forum to be extremely helpful. Gives me a good feeling that we'll be surrounded by nice people in Westchester.

I'll definitely look into the Highlands section. Can anyone tell me what postcode it is? I looked up Prospect, Soundview & Hartsdale Ave on the map but found Prospect Avenue to be quite far away from the other roads.
BJMing - The postcode for at least part of the Highlands is 10606, but I don't know if this zip is exclusive to the Highlands or whether it is all-inlcusive. Roughly speaking, the Highlands neighborhood is borded by Prospect St on the North, Soundview Ave on the West, Old Mamaroneck Rd on the East, and Hartsdale Ave on the South
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or