U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-06-2007, 10:58 PM

2 posts, read 15,776 times
Smile Cortlandt Manor, NY

I'm moving from LA to NY State. We're looking into Cortlandt Manor in Westchester County. Our concerns are public schools for our 4 and 6 year old, safety and proximity to Trader Joe's. Would appreciate any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 08:36 PM

297 posts, read 1,184,346 times
Corltlandt Manor schools are not great but they are not terrible either. They are sort of in the middle when you consider all the schools in Westchester County. One of my best friends lives in Cortlant manor and I believe she is in the Lakeland school district, though I think Walter Panas is the other Cortland manor district. She sends her kids to parochial school though I think she does that more for religious reasons than anything else.
Her neighborhood is very safe and family friendly. There are alot of new homes being built in the area which has driven up the prices of homes. My friend purchased her house in the early 90's for $130K and now they are going for over $400K. However, I would caution you against certain areas of Peekskill which is the neighboring town. If you are thinking of purchasing make sure the home is truly in Cortlandt manor and not Peekskill.
As far as Trader Joes, I think the closes one that I know of is the Hartsdale one which is a good 40-45 minutes away. Other Trader Joe's locations in Westchester are in Scarsdale by Rt 22 and Larchmont. Either way it is at least a 40 minute drive.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:15 PM

414 posts, read 1,104,569 times
ckarp, I think compared to LA schools you will find Cortlandt schools to be very good. Jy's advice is good about steering clear of Peekskill.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:50 AM

2 posts, read 15,776 times
Smile Cortlandt Manor, NY

Thanks so much for the advice. Any input on the Jewish Community there?

Old 04-08-2007, 07:19 AM

484 posts, read 1,436,552 times
Smile Cortlanndt Manor Jewish Community..

Their is a very large Jewish Community in Cortlandt...... As for Trader Joes , your going to have to travel a little bit for that......Their are a lot of Great Areas in Westchester, It all depends on Your price Range,,, Good Luck....

Old 04-24-2007, 08:42 PM

3 posts, read 9,351 times
I have lived in Cortlandt 43 yrs. Schools not great, but its up to you as parents ,anywhere. Peekskill is a good City.Trying ,Theatre ,Paramount, Good restaurants. River front parks. Much improvement in past yrs. Getting better.Taxes getting high. As here. This is not a very good town for getting to know your neighbors though. New people seem to keep to themselves. Not like it used to be. No walking on streets to see friends and neighbors. To much traffic. A lot of congestion here. Trader Joes, Danbury CT. 45 mins away. Good luck in deciding. It's all what you make it. Home...

Old 04-24-2007, 11:38 PM

1,667 posts, read 1,970,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenagain View Post
I have lived in Cortlandt 43 yrs. Schools not great, but its up to you as parents ,anywhere. Peekskill is a good City.Trying ,Theatre ,Paramount, Good restaurants. River front parks. Much improvement in past yrs. Getting better.Taxes getting high. As here. This is not a very good town for getting to know your neighbors though. New people seem to keep to themselves. Not like it used to be. No walking on streets to see friends and neighbors. To much traffic. A lot of congestion here. Trader Joes, Danbury CT. 45 mins away. Good luck in deciding. It's all what you make it. Home...
that's where my early childhood was...
thanks for the memories/updates!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County