U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 11:36 AM

103 posts, read 515,188 times

Advertisements

I am one of those people who has never used any kind of pesticide or herbicide. I would rather have my plants die than spray poison all around. However, after tick bites in our own back yard I am ready to investigate spraying for ticks. Does anyone have any experience with this? Pros/cons? Cost? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 01:08 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,220,807 times
My god, don't do it! I live acres in Pound Ridge and ticks are all over the place, but the answer isn't spraying. Just inspect yourself/kids and pull the tick off as soon as you feel the tell-tale itch if you happen to miss one. Only a fraction of them actually have Lyme disease and they need to be attached for 24 hours or so to infect you.

As for spraying, consider that you're basically spraying your whole yard or lot with an insecticide that kills all arthapods at ground level including ticks. The assurances of the spraying companies are rubbish. Goodbye butterflies, lightening bugs, caterpillars etc. If ticks really are a problem you probably have a big lot and well water. So, consider your water supply. My neighbor sprayed their 2 acre lot next door and I'm not at all happy with the idea of his bug killer penetrating into my well. He's a city guy that beleives the "country" should be as sterile as the bronx. Bad news indeed.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:18 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,556,038 times
We were nervous about spraying for the reasons that kletter1mann points out, but our tree guy (who is an actual expert) assured us that the spray he used would not cause widespread harm. We've been spraying 4 times a year for 8 years now and our 4 acres is crawling with ladybugs, lightening bugs, butterflies, caterpillars, tree frogs, wild flowers, hedgehogs, woodchucks, rabbits, deer, etc.-- everything but ticks! We never find ticks on ourselves unless we've been hiking elsewhere. We test our water every few years (to be safe) and it is always perfect--good enough to bottle and sell. So, while I share kletter1man's general feeling about spraying, I have to say that our experience with the tick spray has been very positive. And I think that spraying is much less disruptive to the animal life than fencing the property would be. As for cost, I believe it is now $600 a year for the quarterly spraying.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:12 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,220,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
<<<snip>>>I have to say that our experience with the tick spray has been very positive. And I think that spraying is much less disruptive to the animal life than fencing the property would be. As for cost, I believe it is now $600 a year for the quarterly spraying.
Well, whatever, but I hate the idea. FWIW, I'm mentally burdened by my first career, which was in R&D for a huge multinational chem/pharma company that made a lot of agrochem products, so I'm a sceptic about those optimistic claims (I used to help create them). Still, it's great that spraying didn't extinguish everything. Bu nothing is 100% selective and nobody really knows the impact. With spraying I'm left to just hope that my water will be OK. If there's no spraying I'll know it. Our grandchildren will render the final verdict. [I also don't use a water softener cause they put hundreds of pounds of salt into the ground. Some local aquifers have been ruined by them.]

But what does fencing disrupt except deer? Actually I DID fence in our property a few years agao and it did absolute wonders for restoring all the vegetation that the deer destroyed. We used to have bushes and shrubs that birds nested in, raspberries all over the place, hummingbirds buzzing around the flowers. The deer destroyed it all and the birds left. After the fence it all came back.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:50 PM

103 posts, read 515,188 times
Thank you both for your replies. We actually live on a 100 x 150 ft lot in a densely populated part of Tarrytown. We have deer in our front, side, and back yard every day without fail. Our backyard is covered in deer poop. The lot is sloped pretty steeply so a fence probably wouldn't do much. Those deer can jump like crazy.
I don't mind any insects, weeds or any living thing except for ticks. I am one of those people who will bring spiders outside if I find them in the house. I just know of too many people who are in wheelchairs, have autoimmune issues, have arthritis etc. from chronic lyme disease. We do of course do tick checks, but somehow the tick that bit my husband got past us. The entomologist at the Lyme Clinic at NYMC said that it had been attached between 36-48 hours and that it was engorged.
Sigh... I don't know...

Old 06-07-2009, 01:01 AM

10,830 posts, read 26,344,725 times
There's a natural remedy that you can use on yourself and in limited (couple of drops) on a pet's collar that's a mixture of rose geranium oil and almond oil. A friend of mine mixes it for herself and her family when they go hiking and whatnot, and they have not had issues with ticks, even when in tick-infested areas.

Here's a link that discusses a couple of prevention methods and suggestions.
[Tick-repellents]http://www.repelall.com/Tick-repellents.html[/url]

I agree that the chemical solution might not be the best, and I'd be reluctant to put anything like that on the ground, since you don't know who might accidentally ingest its residue and its long-term effect. Then again, I'm someone who does not like artifical lawn fertilizers and think that the chemical lawn trucks are poison wagons, since the lawn may be green, but I'd not let any dog or cat of mine anywhere near it, much less a person since many contain pesticides in the sprays that are allegedly safe, yet adverse health effects have been reported by chemically sensitive people.

It's a difficult situation to know what to do when nature invades and can be dangerous to one's health, but sometimes trying to seek a natural solution, even a natural barrier, might not be a bad idea to restore balance.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:29 AM

There's a large range of tick sprays, from the deadly to the relatively benign. The one we use is reportedly rather mellow, and has proven to be effective against ticks but not harmful to the wealth of natural life around us. I too am opposed to chemical sprays-- I would never spray a fertilizer on my lawn, and in fact don't even water it (that what rain is for)--and I have no problem with insects and bugs. But I want to do all that I can to protect my kid against lyme disease. Of course we do daily tick checks, but that is not enough. As for deer fencing, the primary carrier of ticks is mice, not deer, and I know plenty of people who have deer fencing and say it has not helped cut down on ticks. in addition, not all creatures can fly or dig, so it has to be somewhat disruptive. And somehow the idea of living in a fenced-in sanctuary is anathema to me--even more so than spraying.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 26,155 times
What is the chemical he uses for tick control ?

Old 10-31-2011, 07:20 AM

Over 2 years later and here I still am...

I don't know the name of the spray, but I recommend my guy's services for tree work and tick spraying; Steve Peterson Tree Service in Putnam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County