U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:05 PM

124 posts, read 607,167 times

Advertisements

jyyanks, that's exactly my question. if the income in ardsley is comparable to irvington, rye brook and armonk, why wouldn't the home price be comparable? armonk does not have its own train station and not much better a town center than ardsley. historically ardsley home value is not much higher than hartsdale which has a totally different school quality than ardsley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 09:30 PM

305 posts, read 1,683,913 times
Homes in Ardsley tend to be on smaller lots - less than a quarter of an acre and very close together. Most of the home in Ardsley are older and used to consist mainly of small capes and the "huntley" ranch (tiny!). Ardsley was a modest working class neighborhood with a school system that was a bit of a "secret". The school system exploded in the late 9o's and Ardsley all of a sudden became a hot neighborhood. As the school district started gaining a reputation, people with higher incomes started moving into the older homes and expanding, renovating and building. However, Ardsley is a very small town with a small footprint - not too many places to build bigger homes - there are only a few neighborhoods that can accommodate the bigger more expensive homes.
Whereas, Armonk was always considered more of an "upper class" neighborhood because of IBM. Plus, Armonk is more spread out and you tend to find bigger homes on bigger property.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 10,833 times
Many thanks to you all for this very good advice. I'll be heading to Westchester in a week to figure it all out. I appreciate you all having taken the time to answer.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:46 PM

13 posts, read 42,978 times
My suggestions would be New Rochelle/Scarsdale border, on the New Rochelle side, Eastchester/Scarsdale border, on the Eastchester side, or Mamaroneck.

Scarsdale proper isn't worth it if you're not planning on using the schools. The homes in Eastchester and New Rochelle that are near the Scarsdale border are just as nice just as close to the same amenities.

I really like the town of Mamaroneck. It's much less "pretentious" than Scarsdale, has a train station in a decent commercial district, and it's right on the water.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:44 PM

148 posts, read 739,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliay View Post
My suggestions would be New Rochelle/Scarsdale border, on the New Rochelle side, Eastchester/Scarsdale border, on the Eastchester side, or Mamaroneck.

Scarsdale proper isn't worth it if you're not planning on using the schools. The homes in Eastchester and New Rochelle that are near the Scarsdale border are just as nice just as close to the same amenities.

I really like the town of Mamaroneck. It's much less "pretentious" than Scarsdale, has a train station in a decent commercial district, and it's right on the water.
Very well said, while driving through Scarsdale you will hardly notice when you cross over to New Rochelle, Eastchester or Mamaroneck.

The homes on the border are usually of the same 'status' (if that is ther right word to use, I mean style, size, lot etc) as the homes in the neighboring section of Scarsdale. Homes on the Eastchester border are very similar to other homes in the 'Edgewood section of Scarsdale' on the border, homes in Mamaroneck are similar to those in the "Quaker Ridge section" of Scarsdale and so on.

Homes on the Mamaroneck border are actually zoned for Scarsdale schools (incase you ever decide to use Scarsdale schools), the kids there attend Quaker Ridge elementary and can use both Scarsdale and Mamaroneck recreational factilities, which is nice.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:46 PM

148 posts, read 739,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEmom View Post
I have always wondered why Ardsley house value is so much lower than that of houses in other top tier school district. Is it just "name" or is there any other reason? It always feel to me that ardsley is a relatively lower income town than those like scarsdale, edgemont, rye brook, armonk. But the school seems to be in the same tier. anybody knows why is that??

There are some very small (perhaps low income) homes in White Plains and Hartsdale that are zoned for Ardsley schools. I think the homes with higer income occupants either have a Scarsdale postal address (but zoned for Ardsley Schools) or are in Ardsley Village proper.

However, I know what you mean even Ardsley Village is mostly ranches and splits, so you don't get the same air of affluence that you get in places like Scarsdale, Armonk, Bronxville, Larchmont, Mamaroneck Rye and Harrison etc with tudors, victorians and colonials. Mamaroneck and Harrison are not uniformly affluent but the affluent areas are clearly affluent. Even the sought after Agnes Circle does not seem so impressive compared to other affluent parts of lower Westchester.

Perhaps, it is this quiet affluence, along with its good school district that makes Ardsley one of the desirable places to live in lower Westchester. I think one reason that the school district is good, is that the parents there are very involved, some may even be considered to be pushy but it is not a 'pressure-cooker' school district.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:45 AM

7 posts, read 13,979 times
For anyone reading this for future use: I've had my children at Lyceum Kennedy Ardsley & they love it. Small class size, great student to teacher ratio compared to FASNY, extra help in French on school time as we are an English speaking family. No child gets let behind at this school as the teachers are all top notch, highly qualified French & English teachers. Lyceum Kennedy is a very friendly multicultural school where our kids age 3 years to 10 years all know each other and play with each other. The school community is a close family who always help each other out. That is the benefit of going to a small school vs. FASNY (both campuses) are huge. Your child will get lost in FASNY and you will not get to know the parents very well. FASNY is also a very structured and rigid school whereas Lyceum Kennedy is more flexible for the students. It's a wonderful school.

As for where to live. Scarsdale is a rich village with pretentious people. If you like this crowd, who don't really know their neighbors, then this is the place for you. Ardsley & the surrounding towns and villages are all friendlier places to live & sometimes less expensive, if you are renting. Unfortunately, there are many rental houses in Scarsdale compared to other towns, so when the pickings are slim, you may find yourself living in Scarsdale.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:51 AM

9,004 posts, read 14,764,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyyanks View Post
Homes in Ardsley tend to be on smaller lots - less than a quarter of an acre and very close together. Most of the home in Ardsley are older and used to consist mainly of small capes and the "huntley" ranch (tiny!). Ardsley was a modest working class neighborhood with a school system that was a bit of a "secret". The school system exploded in the late 9o's and Ardsley all of a sudden became a hot neighborhood. As the school district started gaining a reputation, people with higher incomes started moving into the older homes and expanding, renovating and building. However, Ardsley is a very small town with a small footprint - not too many places to build bigger homes - there are only a few neighborhoods that can accommodate the bigger more expensive homes.
Whereas, Armonk was always considered more of an "upper class" neighborhood because of IBM. Plus, Armonk is more spread out and you tend to find bigger homes on bigger property.
Actually until the 90s a lot of Armonk's rep was that many considered it the closest you could be to NYC and truly live in something that smacked of "a rustic country town", even with IBM's presence (whose property taxes helped keep the town relatively affordable for awhile, combined with it being pretty isolated from shopping malls and train stations). I even remember an episode of the TV show LA Law in the 1980s that involved a case of a California transplant that was from that town and she described it that way.

But now it is very different (many 'McMansions' built since) and is considered to kind of be a more exurban-looking version of Scarsdale with prices to match.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:48 PM

815 posts, read 1,981,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaques78 View Post
For anyone reading this for future use: I've had my children at Lyceum Kennedy Ardsley & they love it. Small class size, great student to teacher ratio compared to FASNY, extra help in French on school time as we are an English speaking family. No child gets let behind at this school as the teachers are all top notch, highly qualified French & English teachers. Lyceum Kennedy is a very friendly multicultural school where our kids age 3 years to 10 years all know each other and play with each other. The school community is a close family who always help each other out. That is the benefit of going to a small school vs. FASNY (both campuses) are huge. Your child will get lost in FASNY and you will not get to know the parents very well. FASNY is also a very structured and rigid school whereas Lyceum Kennedy is more flexible for the students. It's a wonderful school.

As for where to live. Scarsdale is a rich village with pretentious people. If you like this crowd, who don't really know their neighbors, then this is the place for you. Ardsley & the surrounding towns and villages are all friendlier places to live & sometimes less expensive, if you are renting. Unfortunately, there are many rental houses in Scarsdale compared to other towns, so when the pickings are slim, you may find yourself living in Scarsdale.
Hmm... do you work for Lyceum??? What was the point of this post? The thread is years old.

BTW, my son attends FASNY and I know tons of families and it is exactly as you describe Lyceum Kennedy - a close knit, multi-cultural community. I would never pretend to know what another school was really like if my kids did not attend.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:37 PM

1,487 posts, read 3,736,597 times
I call BS as well. You've only done 4 posts...all of which are praising Lyceum and bashing FASNY and you are an English-speaking person named...Jaques?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County