Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:00 PM

32 posts, read 122,584 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We're moving to Northern Westchester and researching obstetric practices and affiliated hospitals where we might deliver our first baby in the fall.... Northern Westchester Hospital in Mt. Kisco is the closest geographically, and seems to have a good reputation. Alternatively, there's Hudson Valley Hospital Center in Cortlandt Manor.... Anyone have any insight into either of these? Or any other recommendations for hospitals and/or obstetricians?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 08:56 PM

866 posts, read 2,483,283 times
Strange timing, I was just coming on here to post this same question about southern Westchester. We are moving to Scarsdale next week and are planning to add more kids to our family in the near future. Any recommendations regarding hospitals and/or obstetricians is greatly appreciated!

Old 06-11-2009, 01:23 AM

395 posts, read 1,617,638 times
To complete the trifecta, I am moving my family to the area shortly as well (central Westchester).

Based on my own research and input from my NYC work colleagues, I think we are going with Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla. It's the only Level 1 trauma center in the region, is the academic medical center of New York Medical College, and has a reknown children's hospital (with the only pediatric intensive care unit in the region). Here is the website with info on all of their specialty programs: Westchester Medical Center

Old 06-11-2009, 05:11 AM

701 posts, read 3,324,369 times
I can give significant info on the area hospitals, but I really should not say anything openly. Feel free to directly message me.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:51 AM

295 posts, read 1,504,946 times
Default hopsitals

For lower Westchester...

I've been seeing people from White Plains Hospital (on Post Rd in White Plains)...it's a stone-throw away from Scarsdale, has some great staff (with spectacular rates when compared to other M.D.s), and is not a teaching hospital (which some people prefer). I know many people who have delivered there & were happy.

I don't personally know the other mentioned hospitals as well regarding Ob/Gyn.

I had a great Ob/Gyn in NYC...but I can't be living 1 hr away (imagine traffic during contractions) from the hospital I deliver at.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:18 AM

znycgirl: Thanks for your reply. When you say the staff at White Plains has "spectacular rates" compared to other M.D.s, what rates do you mean? (C-section, etc....?)

Old 06-11-2009, 11:28 AM

309 posts, read 765,648 times
personally, i would choose NWHC over Hudson Valley or Westchester Medical Center. The Med Center is a giant teaching hospital vs. a more intimate community hospital (NWHC). NWHC has an excellent reputation in the region is always ranks at the top for doctors, facilities, care, etc.
My son was born at Putnam Hospital in Carmel (wonderful experience) but had to be admitted to NWHC 2 days later for jaundice. Everyone there was wonderful during a pretty stressful experience.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:10 PM

Thanks, somersmom; glad to hear NWHC's good reputation verified. As for Westchester Medical Center, I just visited their website, and notice that they only seem to have a specialized high-risk obstetrics center (thankfully not what I'm looking for, knock wood).

Old 06-11-2009, 12:12 PM

701 posts, read 3,324,369 times
For lower Westchester, I would look for a Westchester doctor with privileges at Greenwich Hospital. That's where we had our son. It's a luxuries Labor and Delivery, perhaps the nicest in the tri-state area. How many other hospitals give the new mother and father a private lobster and champagne dinner to celebrate the newborn?

Old 06-11-2009, 01:53 PM

223 posts, read 828,011 times
I agree about Greenwich, Idelivered there, my doc is in Rye
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County