U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 03:59 PM

13 posts, read 23,862 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

i am looking to purchase a co-op in westchester. i have considered the following areas, bronxville,mamaroneck,larchmont,harrison,hastings on hudson, and white plains. i would prefer somewhere close to the railroad preferably walking distance. What areas do you guys recommend would be the best for me to consider. i would like a nice quiet area with shopping not to far, i am not into the bar or club scene. i dont need to be near that if that helps. sorry for the long post and thank in advance for any advice you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 12:27 PM

490 posts, read 1,595,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YANKEEFAN4EVER View Post
Hello all,

i am looking to purchase a co-op in westchester. i have considered the following areas, bronxville,mamaroneck,larchmont,harrison,hastings on hudson, and white plains. i would prefer somewhere close to the railroad preferably walking distance. What areas do you guys recommend would be the best for me to consider. i would like a nice quiet area with shopping not to far, i am not into the bar or club scene. i dont need to be near that if that helps. sorry for the long post and thank in advance for any advice you can give.

You should check Hartsdale. You can find a co-op on Hartsdale Ave that is walking distance to the train station. It should be quiet and shopping is only five minutes away on Central Ave or White Plains. Some people think Hartsdale schools are not that great so keep this into consideration if you have kids (it sounds you don't).

Old 06-16-2009, 01:40 PM

thanks for the reply ambarstone, i dont have any kids, i saw 2 or 3 near hartsdale, pinewood road, and rockeledge road or drive i forgot which. i also looked in mamaronceck. does anyone know if it is true that flooding happens in that area at all, cause if it does i dont wanna find my car buried under water lol. thanks for the replies

Old 06-16-2009, 01:50 PM

490 posts, read 1,595,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YANKEEFAN4EVER View Post
thanks for the reply ambarstone, i dont have any kids, i saw 2 or 3 near hartsdale, pinewood road, and rockeledge road or drive i forgot which. i also looked in mamaronceck. does anyone know if it is true that flooding happens in that area at all, cause if it does i dont wanna find my car buried under water lol. thanks for the replies
Oh yes, there have been floods in Mamaroneck and Harrison. I would not rule the area out for that reason-they are very nice towns. If considering further just make sure you have a safe place to park.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:03 PM

thanks for the feedback, my head has been spinning trying to find out where to go. i def need parking space, cause i would like to commute via the railroad to work and back.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:26 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,341,583 times
Just about any of the areas you're looking into would work for you, but I'd also add Pelham to the list. You might find something nice in Pelham, not too far from the train station. What sort of an area do you want? White Plains is a small city, with a much more urban feel than the rest of the areas that you're considering. The river towns are generally more laid back, but Larchmont and Bronxville downtown areas are more comprehensive, overall. Having a car makes it easy, however, since you can drive to any of the neighboring areas in a couple of minutes. You might also consider Eastchester, along Garth Road, which is close to Scarsdale for a nice co-op, and also Tuckahoe, also part of Eastchester, has some as well that are convenient to the train.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:53 PM

thanks for the reply once again, i would like to live close enough to the railroad to where i can walk. as far as settings go, i like the laid back setting, but i guess i would like the in between being laid back, but also not to far from a stores, resturants etc.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:43 PM

38 posts, read 110,257 times
Why a co op.. why not a condo, in Croton on Hudson within walking distance to trains and or Jitney to trains.. I live there and love it.. Resort style living.. a marina and located on the Hudson River..
45 minutes to nyc, grand central.....worth the extra few minutes a day....

Old 06-21-2009, 07:01 PM

38 posts, read 110,257 times
Don't understand you can walk to the trains.. but why walk when you have a Jitney available

Old 06-22-2009, 05:16 PM

thanks for the reply, what is a jitney, i have no idea what that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County