U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 02:27 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,686,159 times

Advertisements

If your looking for real world demographics then white plains is an excellent place. I can say this from experience, especially when speaking with some of my peers who went to different school districts in the area. When I was in High School I had moved and I had to transfer to another local district that was touted as "Better" and producing more "ivy leaguers" but it surely lacked the diversity/friends/atmosphere that I had grew up with in White Plains.

Yes I do think some of this preference for school districts does have to do with racial stereotypes and the pressures. I for one don't see why anyone would want to avoid the public school system in White Plains. I know it can be tough especially when dealing with advice from acquaintances, and school review websites but one day just take a visit to MAS, you should be able to meet the principle and some of the faculty. I'm pretty sure that it shouldn't be that difficult, like another poster stated I've never really heard of people trying to get out of the WP school system.

I agree that the prices in White Plains are hard for renter's right now (I know firsthand), even in the not so great areas (which are very few) the rent can be quite ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 12:02 PM

373 posts, read 1,361,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
If your looking for real world demographics then white plains is an excellent place. I can say this from experience, especially when speaking with some of my peers who went to different school districts in the area. When I was in High School I had moved and I had to transfer to another local district that was touted as "Better" and producing more "ivy leaguers" but it surely lacked the diversity/friends/atmosphere that I had grew up with in White Plains.

Yes I do think some of this preference for school districts does have to do with racial stereotypes and the pressures. I for one don't see why anyone would want to avoid the public school system in White Plains. I know it can be tough especially when dealing with advice from acquaintances, and school review websites but one day just take a visit to MAS, you should be able to meet the principle and some of the faculty. I'm pretty sure that it shouldn't be that difficult, like another poster stated I've never really heard of people trying to get out of the WP school system.

I agree that the prices in White Plains are hard for renter's right now (I know firsthand), even in the not so great areas (which are very few) the rent can be quite ridiculous.
Thanks for your feedback. I did visit Mamaroneck Ave School and met with the assistant principal. No doubt, it is a good school. There may be the differences in the test scores and the curriculum but I think that is over rated, especially at the early elementary levels. What is more important is the learning environment, and I think White Plains is just as praise worthy. Considering this, I would say that White Plains is perhaps better all-around than the Scarsdales and the Edgemonts and all the other touted districts in terms of best bang for your buck. Here is why.

One thing I learned from the visit is White Plains offers an affordable after school care at the school building (something like $200 or $300 per month), but in Scarsdale and Edgemont, you need to sign up with other providers that can cost twice or three times that amount.

Also, White Plains offers free breakfast to all children and has full day Kindergarten all 5 days. Scarsdale and Edgemont do not have breakfast and kindergarten is 3 full days and 2 half days. I'm not sure which is the norm.

When I asked the assistant principal why White Plains has these "extras" he said White Plains gets some kind of State or Federal funding that allows them to do this.

The visit certainly makes me wonder if there is much merit to all the rankings and supposed reputation of this school vs that school.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:52 PM

490 posts, read 1,595,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen View Post
Thanks for your feedback. I did visit Mamaroneck Ave School and met with the assistant principal. No doubt, it is a good school. There may be the differences in the test scores and the curriculum but I think that is over rated, especially at the early elementary levels. What is more important is the learning environment, and I think White Plains is just as praise worthy. Considering this, I would say that White Plains is perhaps better all-around than the Scarsdales and the Edgemonts and all the other touted districts in terms of best bang for your buck. Here is why.

One thing I learned from the visit is White Plains offers an affordable after school care at the school building (something like $200 or $300 per month), but in Scarsdale and Edgemont, you need to sign up with other providers that can cost twice or three times that amount.

Also, White Plains offers free breakfast to all children and has full day Kindergarten all 5 days. Scarsdale and Edgemont do not have breakfast and kindergarten is 3 full days and 2 half days. I'm not sure which is the norm.

When I asked the assistant principal why White Plains has these "extras" he said White Plains gets some kind of State or Federal funding that allows them to do this.

The visit certainly makes me wonder if there is much merit to all the rankings and supposed reputation of this school vs that school.

____

Well, here I am again (not with me but...)

The afterschool program (managed by the Youth Bureau) was a huge help to me. Many of the staff members treated me more like family. Is it that expensive now??-it used to be much less. You should know they have a sliding scale fee. Check it out in case you can qualify. You could also have your kid sent to the Y (about 350/month I think).

Re breakfast: I think you also have to qualify to have it for free but of course, you can always pay for it. I used to pay for my kid.

Cities get more funding from the state for schooling than towns. I find that WP is a very especial place since you get the benefits of living in a city but also the perks of living in a town such as "resident only" pools.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:20 PM

373 posts, read 1,361,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
____

Well, here I am again (not with me but...)

The afterschool program (managed by the Youth Bureau) was a huge help to me. Many of the staff members treated me more like family. Is it that expensive now??-it used to be much less. You should know they have a sliding scale fee. Check it out in case you can qualify. You could also have your kid sent to the Y (about 350/month I think).

Re breakfast: I think you also have to qualify to have it for free but of course, you can always pay for it. I used to pay for my kid.

Cities get more funding from the state for schooling than towns. I find that WP is a very especial place since you get the benefits of living in a city but also the perks of living in a town such as "resident only" pools.
After paying $1200+ per month on day care, $300 seems like a bargain for an after school program. As far as breakfast is concerned, I thought the assistant principal said everyone gets it free, but if we have to pay for it, no big deal. I like the fact that they have it available. With busy schedule in the morning, honestly, if the school didn't provide it, I'm not sure if we would be deciplined enough to have a sit down breakfast with our son every morning.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:46 PM

7 posts, read 66,396 times
Quote:
____
Question is not for me but I just wanted to post anyway.
I am actually surprised for your comment. I never met a parent looking forward to move out of WP for better schools. I did meet a number that were staying put because they actually liked the schools so much. They may not have the best test scores but the staff is really caring. Considering WP is a city, the schools are also very safe. I am currently not living in WP but the reasons for moving were strictly housing, not schools. Where are you getting your information regarding WP's schools from?
I have been a real estate agent in White Plains for many years. I have personally moved out many parents from White Plains to better school districts, and the only reason they left was the school district.

To say that they don't have the best test scores is a bit of a throw away. How do you think kids get into decent colleges....with substandard test scores?

The White Plains schools were always average. In the past decade, they have declined to sub average. Two years ago, they came in the fourth quadrant. The fourth quadrant is when the State has red flagged them.
There has been an increase in violence in the last several years in both the middle and high school levels. So much so that the principal addressed it to the graduating class in 2007 at their graduation ceremony! Most of it doesn't make the papers.

White Plains is a city. Westchester has very few cities. Rule of thumb, if you're looking for a good school district, steer clear of the cities.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:09 PM

56,263 posts, read 80,446,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie1234 View Post
I have been a real estate agent in White Plains for many years. I have personally moved out many parents from White Plains to better school districts, and the only reason they left was the school district.

To say that they don't have the best test scores is a bit of a throw away. How do you think kids get into decent colleges....with substandard test scores?

The White Plains schools were always average. In the past decade, they have declined to sub average. Two years ago, they came in the fourth quadrant. The fourth quadrant is when the State has red flagged them.
There has been an increase in violence in the last several years in both the middle and high school levels. So much so that the principal addressed it to the graduating class in 2007 at their graduation ceremony! Most of it doesn't make the papers.

White Plains is a city. Westchester has very few cities. Rule of thumb, if you're looking for a good school district, steer clear of the cities.
Interesting....Here's information on White Plains schools: Test Scores for White Plains City School District | GreatSchools

I noticed that the test scores, except for one subject are about average for the state, with some just below and some above.

Again, White Plains in many other states would be a considered average to good.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:59 AM

181 posts, read 210,493 times
Quote:
____
Question is not for me but I just wanted to post anyway.
I am actually surprised for your comment. I never met a parent looking forward to move out of WP for better schools. I did meet a number that were staying put because they actually liked the schools so much. They may not have the best test scores but the staff is really caring. Considering WP is a city, the schools are also very safe. I am currently not living in WP but the reasons for moving were strictly housing, not schools. Where are you getting your information regarding WP's schools from?
I have to disagree. I live I the district and most of the people I know who have left WP for such places as Greenwich, Purchase and Harrison left specifically because of the White Plains schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County