U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-16-2009, 11:02 AM
 
373 posts, read 908,248 times
Reputation: 97
Default white plains elementary schools

From what I understand, I don't think you are bound to an elementray school that is near your address if you live in the White Plains district. Am I correct? If so, how do they decide where your child goes. And lastly, is there an elementary school that is preferred over the others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-16-2009, 11:30 AM
 
295 posts, read 944,393 times
Reputation: 109
Default white plains

See their website:
White Plains Public Schools | Choice Program & Registration (http://www.wpcsd.k12.ny.us/41129472144330/site/default.asp - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2009, 11:52 AM
 
373 posts, read 908,248 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by znycgirl View Post
See their website:
White Plains Public Schools | Choice Program & Registration (http://www.wpcsd.k12.ny.us/41129472144330/site/default.asp - broken link)
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2009, 12:20 PM
 
490 posts, read 1,113,567 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen View Post
From what I understand, I don't think you are bound to an elementray school that is near your address if you live in the White Plains district. Am I correct? If so, how do they decide where your child goes. And lastly, is there an elementary school that is preferred over the others?
I heard lots of good comments about Mamaroneck Ave School. I personally have experience with Church St since my kid attendend that school. It is small and it felt like home. The principal is great! WP schools have themes and Church St's is science. They do a science fair every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2009, 01:14 PM
 
373 posts, read 908,248 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
I heard lots of good comments about Mamaroneck Ave School. I personally have experience with Church St since my kid attendend that school. It is small and it felt like home. The principal is great! WP schools have themes and Church St's is science. They do a science fair every year.
Hi, thanks for your input. It sounds like you are a parent with first hand experience in the district. Would you say there is a general preference for one elementary over another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2009, 01:43 PM
 
490 posts, read 1,113,567 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen View Post
Hi, thanks for your input. It sounds like you are a parent with first hand experience in the district. Would you say there is a general preference for one elementary over another?
________
All primary schools are good. People will tend to apply for the ones that are closer to where they live or for the one whose theme is more attractive to them. Once you are used to a particular school, you usually stick with it even if you move around town. I am not aware of parents selecting schools based on anything else. I selected Church because I lived across the street and it ended up being great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2009, 10:59 PM
 
Location: The Present
1,996 posts, read 1,996,749 times
Reputation: 1855
Mamaroneck Avenue school is a great elementary school! I myself, and a good deal of my family all went to elementary school there. The only elementary school I've noticed people take preference for is George Washington, I don't know why though (I don't have any children).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2009, 07:53 AM
 
373 posts, read 908,248 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
Mamaroneck Avenue school is a great elementary school! I myself, and a good deal of my family all went to elementary school there. The only elementary school I've noticed people take preference for is George Washington, I don't know why though (I don't have any children).
We used to live across the street from the Mamaroneck Ave school before we had our son. Back than I didn't pay close attention, but thinking back, I do remember seeing a very friendly and caring environment there when kids gathered in the yard for some sort of morning activity. I also had a co-worker who had a 3rd grader there and he seemed to like the school. So everything you say agrees with my impression, but when you look at the general concensus, people seem to want to avoid White Plains schools if they can afford to. Also, all those school rating sites don't have favorable rating for White Plains. Why do you think that is? Do you think it has to do with racial sterio types (fair or not)? Perhaps because White Plains is getting compared to other Westchester towns?

EDIT: As you may have guessed, I am asking these questions because I am thinking of moving to another town because of the questionable rep on the White Plains schools. But I am conflicted on this because I know from what I observed (on a limited basis) and from what parents such as yourself say, White Plains at the elementary level (and even perhaps at the JHS and HS levels) isn't all that bad. At the sametime, I know there are districts like Edgemont where the cost of housing (in my case 2bd/2bth apt) isn't that more much expensive than White Plains, so why not just bear the slight extra cost and move into a district like that. I'm a renter and I will continue to rent for the foreseeable future and there are affordable rentals in Edgemont, although the selection might be limited compared to White Plains.)

Last edited by LightningMcQueen; 06-17-2009 at 08:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2009, 09:36 AM
 
490 posts, read 1,113,567 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen View Post
We used to live across the street from the Mamaroneck Ave school before we had our son. Back than I didn't pay close attention, but thinking back, I do remember seeing a very friendly and caring environment there when kids gathered in the yard for some sort of morning activity. I also had a co-worker who had a 3rd grader there and he seemed to like the school. So everything you say agrees with my impression, but when you look at the general concensus, people seem to want to avoid White Plains schools if they can afford to. Also, all those school rating sites don't have favorable rating for White Plains. Why do you think that is? Do you think it has to do with racial sterio types (fair or not)? Perhaps because White Plains is getting compared to other Westchester towns?

EDIT: As you may have guessed, I am asking these questions because I am thinking of moving to another town because of the questionable rep on the White Plains schools. But I am conflicted on this because I know from what I observed (on a limited basis) and from what parents such as yourself say, White Plains at the elementary level (and even perhaps at the JHS and HS levels) isn't all that bad. At the sametime, I know there are districts like Edgemont where the cost of housing (in my case 2bd/2bth apt) isn't that more much expensive than White Plains, so why not just bear the slight extra cost and move into a district like that. I'm a renter and I will continue to rent for the foreseeable future and there are affordable rentals in Edgemont, although the selection might be limited compared to White Plains.)
____
Question is not for me but I just wanted to post anyway.
I am actually surprised for your comment. I never met a parent looking forward to move out of WP for better schools. I did meet a number that were staying put because they actually liked the schools so much. They may not have the best test scores but the staff is really caring. Considering WP is a city, the schools are also very safe. I am currently not living in WP but the reasons for moving were strictly housing, not schools. Where are you getting your information regarding WP's schools from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2009, 10:41 AM
 
373 posts, read 908,248 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
____
Question is not for me but I just wanted to post anyway.
I am actually surprised for your comment. I never met a parent looking forward to move out of WP for better schools. I did meet a number that were staying put because they actually liked the schools so much. They may not have the best test scores but the staff is really caring. Considering WP is a city, the schools are also very safe. I am currently not living in WP but the reasons for moving were strictly housing, not schools. Where are you getting your information regarding WP's schools from?
I appreciate your response. I want to hear from everyone.

As I mentioned, I am conflicted in the decision because I have mixed reviews, mostly from what I read, and some from aqaintenances in the area who are also trying to decide where to start their children in school. I like White Plains for all the reasons that others like it, ie, central location, proximity to NYC, real world demographics, plenty of shopping, etc. But everyone knows there are other better school districts and it's not like White Plains is all that cheap either if you are a renter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:38 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top