U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 09:48 PM

33 posts, read 95,341 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me how the public transportation bus works in Scarsdale for NYC commuters? We are looking into rentals about 20-25 minutes (walk) from the Scarsdale train station and most likely would use the bus to get to the train station.

1) Is it reliable?
2) Does it run all day/night?
3) How much does it cost?

Is Boulevard drive heavily congested in the morning (6:30 am - 8:00 am)? Is it safe to walk? Does anyone know if parking passes are available (if so, does anyone know how much they cost?).

Thanks so much! Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 11:31 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,685,238 times
You can use your metrocard with the Bee line bus.

I wouldn't really call the bee line system reliable but thats from my own personal experience. The buses do not run all day/night. Within Scarsdale by the metro north station, the buses that do come through there stop around 6/7pm.

The are are a few exceptions to this but they're not close to the metro north station (the 20 on Central Avenue and the 40 over on Post Road)

If your looking for the Bee Line to get you from point A to b than it can do that easily but as far as being reliable in the sense "I need this bus to be on time for me so I can catch my train a x:xx" don't hold your breath. I used to go to school/work in downtown/midtown when I lived in one of the river towns and It was essential that I caught the bee line or else I'd deal with a 50 minute walk to the train station. It was brutal, I often feel like everyone who drives the bee line is keeping their foot on the brake. I ended always catching the earliest bus to avoid any problems being late even if it meant waking up extra early and being extra cranky. Thats just my personal experience though I hope everything works out for you!

Old 06-17-2009, 07:01 PM

Thanks so much for your input. I didn't want to rely on a realtor "selling" me on how convenient the bee line is. I appreciate your honest opinion!!

Old 06-22-2009, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 11,498 times
Jane I have been commuting on Bee-Line buses for 18 years and I find them to be very reliable. I transfer in the morning to either a 1C or a 14 (they make the same stops) at Elmsford Square. Both are due at 7:33 AM and it is amazing how often, as the 14 turns off Rt.119 onto Rt.9A, the 1C -- which comes all the way up from the Bronx -- is waiting at the other traffic light. I even emailed a commendation to Bee-Line about this.

No, they're not 100% perfect, but I find them very reliable.

You don't say where in Scarsdale you're going to live but you mentioned Boulevard. The one east of the Post Road? If so the Bee-Line 63 route serves that area and has frequent and reliable service in the AM. From occasionally being around the station in the mornings it's obvious a lot of commuters in Scarsdale use the buses to and from the trains.

The 63 is an all-day full-service route, though I think the last bus is kind of early, around 8PM. As a backup there is a 24-hour cab stand at Scarsdale train station operated by Scarsdale Central Taxi, a very good company.

If you're thinking about walking from Boulevard to the train station, yes I would say it's very safe. Only problem might be crossing Rt.22-Post Rd. Especially in the morning there's a lot of traffic and drivers in Westchester tend to be very aggressive.

Sure hope this helps give you maybe a bit better perspective.

Here's a link to the Bee-Line Rt. 63 schedule:
[URL]http://www.westchestergov.com/beelinebus/images/webpdffiles/2009%20Spring%20Service%20Change%20documents/web_route_63.pdf[/URL]

Old 06-22-2009, 09:52 PM

Oh, great, thank you for the second opinion. We are looking in that area (open to others, it's just that there are many rentals in that vicinity right now).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County