U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 06:13 PM

2,777 posts, read 3,012,101 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Westchester from the Island in a bit..is there an equivalent to Sunken Meadow State Park in Westchester to swim in the sounds thats a public beach? Or would I have to drive to CT or back to LI?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 06:31 PM

8,992 posts, read 14,734,672 times
The following sound beaches I know about:

1) Orchard Beach, the Bronx - Anyone can go to it for a fee, very very crowded

2) Glen Island, New Rochelle - Any county resident with a park pass (if you live in Westchester, you can get one for $50) can go to it for a fee.

3) Playland, Rye - Beach is open to all, just a parking fee.

4) Oakland Beach, Rye - For Rye residents, but non-residents can go for a fee (I believe either $10 or $15/car plus a "per person" fee before 6pm. On Thursday nights after 6, it is just $2/car and for non residents (I think the other nights it's $5 for non residents after 6 until dark.....in either case, no "per person" fee after 6, as they want people to go to Seaside Johnny's bar in the evening). I used to be part of an informal beach volleyball game on Oakland Beach, so I know it well. I think it's the nicest Sound beach in Westchester County.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:28 PM

12,263 posts, read 9,386,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
4) Oakland Beach, Rye - For Rye residents, but non-residents can go for a fee (I believe either $10 or $15/car plus a "per person" fee before 6pm. On Thursday nights after 6, it is just $2/car and for non residents (I think the other nights it's $5 for non residents after 6 until dark.....in either case, no "per person" fee after 6, as they want people to go to Seaside Johnny's bar in the evening). I used to be part of an informal beach volleyball game on Oakland Beach, so I know it well. I think it's the nicest Sound beach in Westchester County.
Pay the fee, it's worth every penny. You have showers, bathrooms and a snackbar. The closer you get to NYC the dirtier the beaches get.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:13 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,678,709 times
There's also the beach/park at Harbor Island in Mamaroneck. Its great out there during the summer, I'm not sure if there's a fee on certain days or not regardless its a beautiful park/beach/marina. Although the beach part is pretty small.

7, don't the new playland fees also apply for getting access to the beach or just the rides???

Another place you should check out is Croton Point Park (Croton Point Park (http://www.westchestergov.com/parks/parkslocations02/CrotonPointPark.htm - broken link)). Its not on the sound though, its on the other side of the county over on the hudson. You can have alot of fun out there in summertime, I know I will

Old 06-26-2009, 04:48 AM

8,992 posts, read 14,734,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
There's also the beach/park at Harbor Island in Mamaroneck. Its great out there during the summer, I'm not sure if there's a fee on certain days or not regardless its a beautiful park/beach/marina. Although the beach part is pretty small.

7, don't the new playland fees also apply for getting access to the beach or just the rides???

Another place you should check out is Croton Point Park (Croton Point Park (http://www.westchestergov.com/parks/parkslocations02/CrotonPointPark.htm - broken link)). Its not on the sound though, its on the other side of the county over on the hudson. You can have alot of fun out there in summertime, I know I will
Don't know much about the new Playland fees, thought they just applied to rides, but I don't really know.

Didn't think of Harbor Island because it's so small. I think it's a parking fee and you need a Park Pass (a la Glen Island), so it's an option.

I didn't think of Croton Point Park because it's not on the Sound (as the poster asked) but also because it was closed for awhile.....

Old 06-26-2009, 09:17 AM

12,263 posts, read 9,386,689 times
Harbor Island is pretty, but it closes regularly for poor water conditions. It's an enclosed harbor, lots of moored and docked boats, right next to a sewage treatment plant. They have to put some kind of large, floating barricade in the water to protect the beach from all manner of flotsam and jetsam.

It's a beautiful harbor to walk around, but I wouldn't let my kids wade in or eat a fish pulled out of that water.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:30 PM

2,393 posts, read 5,202,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
.....is there an equivalent to Sunken Meadow State Park in Westchester to swim in the sounds thats a public beach? Or would I have to drive to CT or back to LI?
I live/work in Westchester and pass them all by in favor of LI beaches, both sound side and ocean. In fact, I'm at one or another of the LI beaches at least 1x a week and know them pretty well. Bottom line: there's nothing in Westchester remotely like Sunken Meadow. The Westchester town beaches, while nice enough, are far smaller, more crowded and generally encircled by houses. The swimming areas are small and generally encircled by boundary ropes. The closest thing to sunken meadow is Sherwood Island in Westport (or maybe it's Southport, can't recall). Calve's Pasture in Norwalk is also OK, a more open feeling than the Westchester town beaches. Fabulous kayaking too in and among all the islands.

How this works for you will depend greatly on your ideas about swimming. If you're looking for pleasant, family beaches where kiddies can hunt periwinkles and you can get wet, the Westchester beaches may be fine. If you do serious swimming outside the break, as is common at Jones, Rbt Moses, Stehli, etc, then you'll be disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County