Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2007, 03:51 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times

Advertisements

What a mess! The nor'easter left us with 6 inches of water in the basement and no furnace or hot water.

Does anybody have any good advice for mold and mildew? One room is slightly elevated from the rest of the basement with two by fours and plywood with carpeting on the plywood. It's soaked. Does that have to be torn out or is there some way to treat the carpet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 07:49 PM

81 posts, read 349,983 times
Sorry Dockside but it is safe to say it is time to call the insurance company.
Once plywood is submerged it will begin to delaminate.The 2x4's will begin to rot as well as the rug.In a couple of days it will begin to smell and you don't want to start the mold growth.I'ts best to pull it all out as well as (if it's sheetrock) at least the bottom board of the walls.
when replacing you should should use materials that will hold up to flooding
Replace the bottom 12 inches of your wall with a cement baord and tile the floors.This would be a great help if you ever take on water again.

Good Luck!!

Old 04-17-2007, 09:03 AM

Oh well. I was hoping for a simple answer, not the hard truth. Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:45 AM

178 posts, read 801,291 times
To dockside: ---for the wet and moldy basement--- throw out the carpet! Once the mold has started to grow, you can never get rid of the spores, at least not from what I've read and experienced. I'd remove everything, open all the doors and windows and remove anything still in the basement. Then I' d use a solution of one part bleach /one part water and wipe down -completely- every surface. Lots of fans placed to draw the airflow toward the outside is good and you may have to do that for many days, depending how dry outside it is.
When you get all the moisture and stink out, then assess how the water got inside, such as through the foundation or through the doors and windows, then fix those areas so it doesn't happen again. You want to make sure the natural drainage of water runs AWAY from the house, not towards it. If it seeped through the cement foundation, which happened to me, after everything is REALLY dry, you can paint the inside walls of the cement foundation w/ Dry-Lock. It works well. My basement was unfinished, if your's is finished, I don't know how you'd fix it. You might also think about a sump-pump, if that fits your situation and also a dehumidifier with a drainage hose attached to a drain. Not the kind you have to empty . I had the former and it took a LOT of moisture out of the air in the basement, even when it wasn't raining. Best of luck!

Old 04-01-2010, 01:57 PM

74 posts, read 247,909 times
we are in the middle of the same nightmare 2 weeks ago my boyfriends home was flooded also in New Rochelle...he has a sump pump but since he lost power in the home it didnt wk so we ended up w 7-8 inches of water down in the entire basement. Since this happened we have been going back & forth w/ the ins comp and still cant get a restoration company to come over. If they will they refuse to give a quote on what it will cost. Now 2 days ago we had the other rain storm and he was at wk and I wasnt around so we werent able to keep an eye on the house. Well we got home that night and again it flooded. So now we have to do a second sump pump and put and add a special drain. Get a whole new carpet and remove the panneling (which was the plan anyway but was hoping we can hold off for a yr) also the water heater went w the 1st storm and now the oil burner isnt working from the last storm. We also have to wait for the restoration company to come in and hopefully stay in or close to what the ins is willing to cover!
Def take that carpet out and have a comp come in and make sure the spores havent taken over your home....that will be another nigtmare!

good luck

Old 04-01-2010, 01:59 PM

74 posts, read 247,909 times
Opps didnt even see the date this post was! ok forget what I said.....by now your issues are fixed!

Old 04-01-2010, 02:33 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexasmommy330 View Post
by now your issues are fixed!
Or sold.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexasmommy330 View Post
Opps didnt even see the date this post was! ok forget what I said.....by now your issues are fixed!
The latest nor'easter got us again, but this time we were better prepared. I considered a sump pump, but every time we flood, the storm knocks out electricity.

If you have a sump pit in your basement try removing the cap on the cleanout pipe leading to the sewer. The water will quickly drain out of the basement. It's hard to do in a pit full of water, so once you've pumped out your basement, get ready for the next flood by making that cap easy to remove.

Wrap the cap threads with plenty of plumbers tape and keep a large wrench within easy reach of the sump pit, because once you have the water coming in the basement you don't want to have to find it.

We flooded last week again and lost electricity, but just swept it down the open sewer cleanout.

Check out: http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/mah...es/figure5.gif
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: