Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 11:04 AM

3 posts, read 7,918 times

Advertisements

I'm from Long Island and moving to Westchester because of a new job in Cold Spring (Putnam County). My boyfriend lives in Central NJ and all my family is in Long Island and Queens, so I'd like a place that is easy to get to from work and family and boyfriend. I want a commute under 45 minutes (by car), so i started looking in Tarrytown/Elsmford. I like it, but it just seems more family oriented, and I'd like a place that's a bit younger with bars, malls and restaurants. A few people mentioned White Plains to me, but I'd like some more input please. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 11:16 AM

375 posts, read 1,576,581 times
From what you describe, I would also recommend White Plains. It's a good central location that will give you the best "urban" feel in Westchester County.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:28 AM

490 posts, read 1,788,462 times
If you are looking for bars, malls and a younger crowd all while being closer to your job, NJ and NYC then that is WP. You can get more info by asking specific questions. On the generic side, I can tell you WP is an small city that is very well located. It is safe and diverse. it has a great transportation system coming in and out of the city. It has good shopping but it can be expensive. Many well know anchor stores such as Macy's and Sears are there. It has three malls within about a square mile: an old one named after the city no one goes to anymore (but has a DMV and a nice fish market), a for the masses mall (Galleria) where Sears and Macy's are, and an upscale mall, The Westchester. Singles and families alike enjoy living in WP as there is sufficient to do for everyone. One negative to think about is that rents are very high so make sure it is within reach.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:12 PM

Thanks! What do you think of New Rochelle or Mount Vernon? I'll probably have a roommate, but safety is key for me.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:23 PM

490 posts, read 1,788,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leleno View Post
Thanks! What do you think of New Rochelle or Mount Vernon? I'll probably have a roommate, but safety is key for me.
I would not recommend Mount Vernon. Is less money but I don't think the quality of life is very good there. New Rochelle...maybe. It has most of what you are looking for but it will be further away from work.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:54 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,651 times
It would depend on what you were looking for in Mt Vernon, I would recommend it, there are a few places on the southside you have to be careful in but there are some great neighborhoods there.

New Rochelle has a variety of neighborhoods too, there's alot more things going on the closer you get to the downtown area.

but if your looking to be centrally located with good access to highways that will lead you to NJ and LI, then WP is a good place. I was born and raised here (I'm 25), so I know about the bar/nightlife crowd and while in general I still think its pretty corny it has come a very very long way in a short amount of time. There's plenty of retail options etc. and the downtown area is compact, walkable and very diverse.

are you going to be driving to your job in cold spring or taking the metro north?

Old 07-04-2009, 07:25 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leleno View Post
Forget New Rochelle. No night life, no scene, no action whatever. You'd just end up going to WP or NYC.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:27 PM

236 posts, read 390,060 times
White Plains is a good choice, but as a previous poster mentioned it is very expensive there. Mt Vernon is not a good choice because you have to go through the "bad" neighborhoods just to get to the "good"ones. (And when I say bad I mean random shootings, and the like). New Rochelle does not have a nightlife at all, but it is a little cheaper than White Plains and it can be pretty quiet there. Believe me when I say you will not party or hang out any place you decide to move out there, you will end up in the city. But White Plains does have a couple bars that would be close to go to. Good luck!

Old 07-06-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
It would depend on what you were looking for in Mt Vernon, I would recommend it, there are a few places on the southside you have to be careful in but there are some great neighborhoods there.

New Rochelle has a variety of neighborhoods too, there's alot more things going on the closer you get to the downtown area.

but if your looking to be centrally located with good access to highways that will lead you to NJ and LI, then WP is a good place. I was born and raised here (I'm 25), so I know about the bar/nightlife crowd and while in general I still think its pretty corny it has come a very very long way in a short amount of time. There's plenty of retail options etc. and the downtown area is compact, walkable and very diverse.

are you going to be driving to your job in cold spring or taking the metro north?
Thanks! I will be driving to work. Any suggestions on apartment complexes? There seems to only be three in WP from the internet research I've been doing, all owned by Riverstone. I'm leaning towards The Gramercy. Looking at Craigslist there doesn't seem to be much more options in terms of complexes.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:18 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,651 times
There are plenty of other apartment complexes within the vicinity of the Gramercy (as a matter of fact I can see the Gramercy when I come out of my building). If you can afford it and it's in your range, the Gramercy is a very nice place.(they even have an indoor parking lot). The building is also in a great location too, because the I-287 is literally right there, and further up the street there are numerous bus routes that pass through broadway.

I would say if you get the chance come through the neighborhood and drive around some, there are also a few complexes further down Mamaroneck Ave (around Mamaroneck avenue elementary school on Nosband Rd/Old Mamaroneck Rd). Some of the buildings are condo's but a good deal of them are also rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County