U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 08:36 AM

5 posts, read 14,033 times

Advertisements

I am moving from fairfax county, VA & I got new project in Uptown, NY very close to Grand central.

I have high school ( 10 grade) & elementary school ( 4th grade ) kids ....

1. can some body advice me good school & best place to live in westchester county to live

2. How is white plains area for schools, & to live also

3. is it commutable as i am not aware of NY train system at alll...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 08:49 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,451,012 times
First, Grand Central is not considered 'uptown.' It's right smack in the middle of midtown Manhattan. Whilte Plains is an easy commute to that area: about 35 minutes on the train, right into Grand Central.

We can help you more if you give us the budget you've got in mind for your home.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:31 AM

10,830 posts, read 26,332,800 times
White Plains schools are not the best in Westchester, and might not be easily comparable with Fairfax County schools. It's difficult to compare the two, but as an approximation, White Plains would be the academic equivalent to a Mount Vernon or Hayfield, though it's a much larger city school district. Schools in Westchester are not run on the county level, hence the disparity between one jurisdiction and another. Since you need a high school, I'd not be inclined to recommend White Plains city schools, or any of the cities in Westchester for that matter, since the schools are not on the same level as other areas.

In the general White Plains area, I'd look to North White Plains (with Valhalla schools), Valhalla, Thornwood, and Harrison. Depending upon budget, you might find something closer-in to the city in Pelham, Larchmont/Mamaroneck, or Dobbs Ferry, though these districts do tend to be a tad more expensive, being closer to the city and having good schools.

Trains in Westchester run from Grand Central on three principal lines. The Harlem Line serves the center of the county; the New Haven Line serves the eastern regions of the county and runs along the Long Island Sound shoreline; and the Hudson Line runs along the Hudson River shore and serves the western region of the county. Parking at the train station in some villages can be difficult to obtain, but some have 12-hour meters and the like that you can get without a permit on a first-come-first-served basis. Some areas also have Westchester County Bee Line Bus service that loops to the train stations, which can make it relatively easy to live in an area and not be as car dependent during the morning commute.

White Plains is on the Harlem Line train, and as Viralmd pointed out, it's an easy commute. With a budget in mind, however, it's easier for any of us on the board to recommend an area that has a good mix of schools, commute, and price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County