U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:52 AM

124 posts, read 606,085 times

Advertisements

Hi, does anybody have any idea of where to park for metro-north if you live in Rye? I called portchester, harrison and rye stations and did not get any firm information. It seems harrison has lots of meter parking filled up late in the morning (8-8:30) and portchester is very inconvenient and rye is impossible. are these true? many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 02:38 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,678,212 times
Here's a map with the parking information from the MTA website for the Rye station

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/stations/parking/Rye.pdf

and here's the main info page for other miscellaneous stuff about the Rye station.

MTA Home Page

I hope that helps!

Old 07-29-2009, 07:08 PM

Rye parking lot has a waiting list of 8 yrs! what's your point of sending me the map? LAZ parking said portchester has a garage that has permit available but is not right at the station. So I wonder if anybody has experience at Harrison (for Rye resident) or know what is the option for commuters?

Old 07-29-2009, 09:16 PM

814 posts, read 1,975,817 times
The train station parking situation is the main reason we didn't buy a house in Rye. I also posted about this situation while we were still house hunting and didn't get any helpful responses either. Someone posted this link http://www.buywestchesterhomes.com/C...%20Parking.PDF from which you can see that Harrison does not have any non-resident spots. Port Chester really wasn't an option.

Most people say to get to know your neighbors and try to carpool with someone, take a taxi, or have your spouse drive you. That's just not very helpful in my opinion. If you want to take the train from Rye you're basically Mod cut: language as far as I can tell. Sorry!

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-30-2009 at 05:05 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 07-31-2009, 01:02 PM

streetsmart, thanx for sharing the experience. good to know we are not the only one that feels train station parking can determine where to buy the houw. where did you end up buying, can you share the experience? we are so frustrated that we have not been able to find any houses but houses seem sell well now.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:09 PM

We ended up buying a house in Scarsdale. They built a new garage for the train station so there wasn't any problem getting a train parking permit. Ironically, we are a 5 minute walk to the Hartsdale station, so we'll use the permit infrequently, but we thought we'd get one for the first year and see how much we use it. (It wasn't cheap - around $1200 for the year I believe.)

Good luck!

Old 07-31-2009, 09:52 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,678,212 times
well the reason I posted the map was because your OP wasn't really that specific to begin with, but to each their own.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:54 PM

streetsmart, i have been looking at houses in scarsdale for a while. my biggest concern is its houses (most of them) have no busing to schools and after school program is located at quaker ridge side which is far. i guess you probably bought a house in fox meadow or greenacre area since you said you only have 5' walk to train station. how do you handle the busing and afterschool issue (i just assume that you both work but i may be wrong).

Old 08-02-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEmom View Post
streetsmart, i have been looking at houses in scarsdale for a while. my biggest concern is its houses (most of them) have no busing to schools and after school program is located at quaker ridge side which is far. i guess you probably bought a house in fox meadow or greenacre area since you said you only have 5' walk to train station. how do you handle the busing and afterschool issue (i just assume that you both work but i may be wrong).
I'm pretty sure there are after school clubs at each elementary school. The only other program that I know of right now is the Kids' B.A.S.E and Little School, and they provide transportation to and from the schools. Also, I believe that if you are far enough away from the school to need a bus, people use a private bus company.

Yes, we are in Greenacres, but my son is only 14 months so we have a while before we have to worry about all of this! Sorry that I can't be more helpful!

Old 11-04-2009, 06:57 PM

9 posts, read 113,596 times
We recently moved to Rye, and it's true that it will be years before we get a resident train permit. However, there is a fair bit of metered parking at the Harrison station. My husband commutes to the city every day, and he's found that as long as he gets to the Harrison train station by 8am he can get a metered spot for $4/day. So train parking honestly hasn't been a problem. On the rare days he wants to go in later, I just drop him at the train station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County