U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 07:47 AM

13 posts, read 17,191 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently rent in lower Westchester and are looking to buy a home in mid to upper Westchester. We can only spend up to $400K (only me working) and we realize we will be looking at small "starter" homes.

Anyway, one of the areas that appealed to us is Croton on Hudson. We like the town and the schools. Driving by the area, I noticed info regarding the town looking to rezone, which would add a hundred or so apartments as well as some other changes. The residents appear to be fighting this. It seems that since the schools are on the small side, this could have an impact on the schools but also other negative impacts as well. Does anyone have any info on this? It is making me have second thoughts on living there. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 09:20 AM

1,316 posts, read 4,555,553 times
I believe most of the residents are in favor of the change. There are some extremists who worry that the hundred added apartments will radically change the town of 7,000 plus by adding some more middle- and lower-income families (some of whom might even be of color). But other than a very small racist fringe I believe the majority see the change as healthy for the town.

To see what residents are saying about this and other issues check out:

Croton Blog: Local News for Croton-on-Hudson, New York

Crotonspace

Old 07-30-2009, 10:12 AM

9,002 posts, read 14,764,118 times
One reason I am looking to leave Westchester County is too many people are concerned about "keeping others out" there, many of whom in an earlier time or a different place would be "kept out" too. The reality is that it is a highly populated area and if people don't like that there are tons of smaller metro areas to go live in. This attitude makes our housing prices ridiculous and the only way to really live there long-term is to be rich and hope you stay rich.

Every successful town and city was once something smaller that "radically changed".
People of Westchester, deal with it!

Old 07-31-2009, 08:09 AM

701 posts, read 2,922,083 times
My impression is that most residents are fighting against the re-zoning. It's not automatically a racist mentality -- But almost every local population always fights against any significant change to their town. Across the bridge in Rockland, it took years and years to get the Palisades mall off the ground, due to local opposition. Where I live now, in Chappaqua, there is a big fight about the re-zoning of the Reader's Digest property to allow primarily for senior housing.

As to the re-zoning in Croton, there are fears that the apartments will cause over-congestion of the schools, and create traffic issues. (the standard arguments against many projects). The community is close-knit and politically active, the residents are relatively passionate about their town. Though some re-zoning might get through, I have a feeling the project might get scaled back first.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:15 AM

Interesting take on it. I'm good friends with members of the village board and they are very strongly in favor of the rezoning. And they say that most residents are too. The former mayor and board members are opposed and are trying to stir up opposition, saying it will make Croton become "like Peekskill or Ossining" which is clearly a racist fear-mongering approach. It is a relatively small project and can't possibly have can any major impact on the town.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:30 AM

701 posts, read 2,922,083 times
It will be interesting to see what happens. I am friendly with a handful of Croton residents, but I don't know anybody on the board. The residents I know are basically opposed to it, in varying degrees. I haven't personally heard anybody use the fear-mongering approach, but I'll take your word for it.

As with many things, there are plenty of legitimate, and plenty of illegitimate reasons, to possibly be opposed.

As to project being "relatively" small -- Remember, Croton is a pretty small town to begin win. There are only about 120 students at each grade level. So 100 new apartments could have a fairly significant impact.
Personally, if I was a Croton resident, I would favor the project, as I'll support almost anything that adds to the tax base.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:34 PM

I meant "relatively small" in the context of the size of Croton. 100 apartments in a town of over 7,950 residents seems relatvely small to me.

But I am sure you're correct that there are some people who are opposed to the project for understandable and non-offensive reasons. However, the project also has to be viewed in the larger context of the tremendous need for low- and middle-income housing in Westchester. While the county doesn't really need more high-end senior living complexes (as proposed for the RD site), it does need more housing for middle-income families.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:41 PM

9,002 posts, read 14,764,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
I meant "relatively small" in the context of the size of Croton. 100 apartments in a town of over 7,950 residents seems relatvely small to me.

But I am sure you're correct that there are some people who are opposed to the project for understandable and non-offensive reasons. However, the project also has to be viewed in the larger context of the tremendous need for low- and middle-income housing in Westchester. While the county doesn't really need more high-end senior living complexes (as proposed for the RD site), it does need more housing for middle-income families.
Thank you dma1250. Well said. There's a thread in the NYC forum saying how people are even slowly starting to price up the Bronx. Who'd have thought?

Old 08-01-2009, 09:51 PM

2,328 posts, read 5,042,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
I believe most of the residents are in favor of the change. There are some extremists who worry that the hundred added apartments will radically change the town of 7,000 plus by adding some more middle- and lower-income families (some of whom might even be of color). But other than a very small racist fringe I believe the majority see the change as healthy for the town.

To see what residents are saying about this and other issues check out:

Croton Blog: Local News for Croton-on-Hudson, New York

Crotonspace
You have to be kidding. Croton is one of the most liberal and tolerant places around. But that's a good strategy. Intimidate your opponents by calling them racists. Perhaps these "racists" are actually concerned that their already overcrowded schools will become more overcrowded.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
You have to be kidding. Croton is one of the most liberal and tolerant places around. But that's a good strategy. Intimidate your opponents by calling them racists. Perhaps these "racists" are actually concerned that their already overcrowded schools will become more overcrowded.
Croton is actually a very politically divided town. The last election was extremely bitter and nasty and the vote for mayor was decided with a 1% margin. Unlike most town elections in the area--in which political parties are basically irrelevant--this one was strictly Republican vs. Democrat and very much about "old" residents vs. "new" ones. Why don't you learn a little about the town before jumping in?

Croton schools enjoy a very healthy student/teacher ratio and there is no overcrowding in the system. (There was years ago before the school expansion, but that is no longer an issue.) The system can certainly add the small number of students that the proposed apartments might add.

And isn't it interesting how no one was concerned about "overcrowding" when the town approved high-end developments throughout the boom years? Those developments added huge numbers of students to the system, but no one ever worried that they would overburden it. And funny how no one ever worried that all those developments would make the town "like Peekskilll or Ossining." Now that the town wants to allow 100 apartments for low- and middle-income families there is a small but vocal group that is suddenly "concerned." How much do you want to bet that if the proposal was for high-end condos those "concerns" would suddenly disappear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County