Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 07:39 AM

11 posts, read 24,195 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! I am relocating from Staten Island to westchester co. My new job is in ardsley and ive been looking for 1BR apt in the range of $1000-1300 in these areas:
Pelham, Dobbs Ferry, Hastings on the Hudson, Irvington, Eastchester, Scarsdale, Bronxville, White Plains, Larchmont or Mamaroneck

My problem is my source has been craiglist and the apts I viewed in new rochelle were really bad in a less than desirable area. I am trying to avoid a broker but I dont know what other resources to use to find apts for rent!? I am still working in S.I so its difficult for me to just go and look so I have to plan and schedule viewings in one day. Are there any other resources I could use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 10:29 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
That is a difficult price point for Lower Westchester, but if you search a site like the Westchester MLS, you would find properties listed through a broker.

Here's a link: Westchester MLS

And, I would also look at The Times for some leads as well: NY Times Real Estate search

I would also add to your list of places, to include: Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, Hartsdale, North White Plains, Valhalla, the better parts of Yonkers, Fleetwood section of Mount Vernon, and Harrison.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-15-2009, 02:34 PM

7 posts, read 24,490 times
I know you are coming from NYC and are probable use to paying the agent as the tenant (Buyer) . Generally, in Westchester the fee is paid by the landlord (seller). So, you should refer to a realtor.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:35 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarello View Post
I know you are coming from NYC and are probable use to paying the agent as the tenant (Buyer) . Generally, in Westchester the fee is paid by the landlord (seller). So, you should refer to a realtor.
I have never encountered that in Westchester renting, ever. We have always paid the fee. Not only for myself, but family and friends.

The fee in Westchester is generally 1 months rent, paid by the renter. The only place I have ever lived where the landlord paid the fee was NJ.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:49 AM

14 posts, read 32,398 times
I agree with Newtoli. I lived in Westchester for 38 years and always paid anywhere from one month rent to 10% of the annual rent as a fee to a realtor.

I can't remember the name of the managment company, just that they were based in Queens. But if you know anyone in White Plains, perhaps they can pop into the lobby of the building and get the name and phone number.

The apartment was on 2 North Broadway in White Plains. They also have 3 other buildings in the downtown district as well. I lived there from 2006-2007 and paid $1275 for a one bedroom apartment that was 1,000 square feet with tons and tons of closet space.

If you can get the name of that managment company, you can call them direct.

Also look at apartmentratings.com that is a website that tenants are allowed to give their feedback on the apartments they lived in. You can search for apartments from there as well and not have to pay a realtor.

Good luck!

Old 08-18-2009, 02:56 PM

375 posts, read 1,576,581 times
Regarding the question of who pays the rental fee, I think it's a question of what kind of rental it is. If it is a unit in a rent only building, then typically, the renter pays the fee. But if it is listed in the MLS, then I think typically, the owner pays, as in a MLS sales transaction.

To the OP, I can recommend a complex if you PM me. Im thinking you might be able to get a studio in this complex for that price... maybe a bit higher. I can give their number directly.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:50 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen View Post
Regarding the question of who pays the rental fee, I think it's a question of what kind of rental it is. If it is a unit in a rent only building, then typically, the renter pays the fee. But if it is listed in the MLS, then I think typically, the owner pays, as in a MLS sales transaction.

To the OP, I can recommend a complex if you PM me. Im thinking you might be able to get a studio in this complex for that price... maybe a bit higher. I can give their number directly.
Nope, I've always rented in private homes and been shown by a broker, and I've always paid the fee. I have never heard of anyone paying a fee at all in a rent only building.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:50 AM

375 posts, read 1,576,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Nope, I've always rented in private homes and been shown by a broker, and I've always paid the fee. I have never heard of anyone paying a fee at all in a rent only building.
Well, count me as one that have never paid a fee as a renter. In fact, I'm looking at a rental home now in Westchester and I confirmed with the agent that the owner will be paying the fee.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:55 AM

14 posts, read 32,398 times
Default perhaps things are changing...

My personal experience in renting for 20 years in Westchester is that I always paid the fee to the realtor, wheither it was a MLS listing or an exclusive.

Perhaps there is more flexibility with the poor housing market where the renters have more negotiating power. Doesn't hurt to ask for the owner to pick up the fee.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:15 AM

295 posts, read 1,505,465 times
I've paid the fee half the time.

Realistically...just go with a realtor if you are short for time...or need something specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County