U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 6,207 times

Advertisements

Looking for some honest comments on your experience with HenHud school district and comparison with other Westchester schools. Our son (who is very strong academically and great at sports) is in Furnace Woods now (decent, but not challenging enough). Looking ahead, it seems that the MS and especially HS are slipping in their reputation. We really like the rural feel of Cortlandt/accessibility to Metro-North/property size etc, but are concerned with what is happening with HenHud. Moving to Croton is one option. I am not too fond of Rye/Scarsdale due to the factors i listed above. Just trying to find a good balance going forward. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 12:46 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,084,655 times
Generally speaking, middle school is the pits--even the best districts often have issues in the middle grades. I have no personal experience with Hen Hud, but we have two friends whose kids are there and are very happy. One child is about to graduate high school and I can honestly say that he is pretty perfect--intellectually curious, a hard worker, very outgoing, well-adjusted--and very happy. However the same family is having problems with their younger son, who is in middle school, and they feel that the school is not doing enough to meet his needs.

For Croton, I've always heard that middle school is weak but high school is very strong. Our Croton friends' kids are mostly in elementary school. Some are happy and others are not--it depends on the kid and the teacher in any given year.

We are in Yorktown and so far have been very happy. Our son is going into third grade and the school has done a great job in fitting the instruction to his needs--challenging him in his strong areas and supporting him in his weak ones. I hear fabulous things from parents and teachers about the Grades 3-5 school we are zoned for and about the middle school. High school, however, I believe is the weak spot. On the other hand, our neighbor's 2 kids are high school and they are very happy with it.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:49 PM

6,628 posts, read 8,356,662 times
I hate to rant, but I get upset when I hear all this nitpicking about one Westchester town's schools vs. another. IMHO, almost every school district in the county if in almost any other part of the country would be the top district of that area. The differences are really small. This is why there's such demand to live here and why it is unaffordable for many people. The only significant differences are between most of the suburban areas and the larger towns and villages like Peekskill, Ossining, Mt. Vernon, Yonkers, etc. Even then there's a lot of debate, many (but not all) of the elementary schools in Mt. Vernon would rank decently in most other places, it's middle and high school that are not too good. It (as well as the unaffordability) is going to drive me out one day.......

Old 08-17-2009, 07:18 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,084,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I hate to rant, but I get upset when I hear all this nitpicking about one Westchester town's schools vs. another. IMHO, almost every school district in the county if in almost any other part of the country would be the top district of that area. The differences are really small. This is why there's such demand to live here and why it is unaffordable for many people. The only significant differences are between most of the suburban areas and the larger towns and villages like Peekskill, Ossining, Mt. Vernon, Yonkers, etc. Even then there's a lot of debate, many (but not all) of the elementary schools in Mt. Vernon would rank decently in most other places, it's middle and high school that are not too good. It (as well as the unaffordability) is going to drive me out one day.......
I totally agree--even though i just engaged in a bit of it. I do think it is valid to share experiences about schools, since they do each have particular strengths and weaknesses and the "best" school for one child may not be the "best" school for anther child.

The very worst thing is when people go on about SAT scores, something which has absolutely nothing at all to do with the school or the quality of the education. That drives me nutty.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:08 PM

14 posts, read 20,978 times
Default From personal experience...

I grew up in Croton and attended the schools from kindergarten through high school graduation.

Aside from my personal feeling that no matter which school you attend - you get out of it what you put into it - these are my observations.

Croton class sizes are much smaller, with significantly fewer students. That means that the overall school is smaller. It is a more personal environment. Kids are less likely to get lost in the shuffle. On the con side of that is less exposure to outside influences.

My graduating class from high school was 96 students and the majority of them went on to college, most attending top level schools.

I don't know about the sport programs as I never played sports. I liked that I went to school with the same kids from kindergarten to graduation, we all grew up together and many of us are still friends.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,288 times
I attend Hen Hud High School and I advise you not to send your son here. The middle school is fine, safe, and overall okay. If your son needs to be challenged this isn't the district for him. Being I'm the High School right now I know that we have a large number of students on drugs, smoke, drink, and do not achieve excellence academically. Many other high shools might have similar problems but unless you O.D., or die, our school could really care less what your doing. Worst comes to worst your son could switch after 8th grade but do NOT, I repeat do NOT send him to Hen Hud High School unless you want a future junkie and dropout living under your roof.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:50 AM

54 posts, read 140,008 times
myra120-thanks for response. if you wouldn't mind, I am sure many of us here in the housing market would love a little more detail. when did you graduate (approximately)? recently, 5 years ago, 10 years ago, etc.? and when you say "top colleges", do you mean Ivy League (and any top 3 of HYP), and were there also the "next tier"- Lehigh, Colgate, etc.?

Old 02-27-2010, 09:10 AM

1,668 posts, read 2,215,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.NON.I.MOS View Post
I attend Hen Hud High School and I advise you not to send your son here. >>>snip<<<I know that we have a large number of students on drugs, smoke, drink, and do not achieve excellence academically. Many other high shools might have similar problems but unless you O.D., or die, our school could really care less what your doing.
This could have been written by virtually any high schooler in any high school in the country - including Scarsdale, horace Greeley, etc. i've heard kids form those schools say the same kind of thing. Doesn't provide useful direction.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,669 times
I attend Hendrick Hudson right now and do not agree A.NON.I.MOS. I feel that Hen Hud has something for everyone. And while it has its faults--some poor teachers, a "bad kid" reputation, not the greatest fields/facilities--there are a lot of good things about the high school. For every bad teacher there is at least one phenomenal one, and there are many different types of teacher personalities that students attach themselves to. Many graduates come back to visit during their breaks and see the teachers they miss the most.

The choral program is award-winning, and currently some band and chorus students are working with renowned composer Lisa DeSpain to commission an original joint band and chorus piece, which will be performed on June 2nd at an American Composers concert at Sleepy Hollow High School. The STAR club recently produced an educational film about dating abuse, which members of the Peer Leadership program are currently showing at various schools throughout the state. The Drama club's 2009 production of "Grease" was nominated for six high school theater awards, and won in the category of Best Orchestra--of the orchestra members, four out of the five were Hen Hud students. The high school runs its own Film Festival, started by MTV star--and Hen Hud alum--Andrew Jenks, of "World of Jenks". We have an incredible debate team, a science olympiad team, a mathletes team, a SEED club that hosts movie marathons and acoustic open mics known as "Hepcat"s, as well as multiple honors societies and programs. The cross country and track teams are brilliant, sending many, many athletes to state, regional, and national championships every year. The boys and girls tennis teams, both phenomenal, are sadly underrated, as are much of the great things at Hen Hud. As much as the school gets a bad wrap, there's really a lot of good there.

Every school has its faults. If you're looking at Hen Hud as a parent, try and see past the prejudices and opinions of other students and families. If your child is truly as gifted as you says he is, there is going to be ample opportunity for him to be challenged and to succeed at any high school, regardless of reputation or downfalls. As a student, I respect Hen Hud, and seeing others doubt the students who attend it unsettles me. I have to refute A.NON.I.MOS's assertion that the graduates of Hen Hud are "junkies" and "dropout"s, and to be honest, I'm offended. There is no perfect high school, and I must say, Hen Hud does its job well.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,152 times
Hi Folks,

I'm wondering what recent news about Croton vs. Cortlandt schools, especially for one academically precocious kid and one with learning challenges that works hard.
Also, in terms of kids socializing and getting around, is Croton that much easier because it's walkable?

Many thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County