Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 01:30 PM

103 posts, read 572,272 times

Advertisements

Dave,
I have no idea where to get deer contraceptives. Sorry! I remember hearing about an experiment on an island (might have been Martha's Vineyard but I'm not sure) where they set up feeding stations for the deer and laced the food with contraceptives. Sounds like a good idea to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 814 times
Talking hunting permission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
You are welcome to sit in my backyard here in lower Westchester County and take as many as you possibly can. The heck with this "they were here first" attitude. So were cockroaches.

I pulled off Exit 5 on the Cross County Parkway last October and stared in disbelief as a large buck with a full rack trotted down the road. The damn things are everywhere. Lyme disease is a menace and so are the deer at night. We have become much too passive in our attitudes towards these animals.
I would love the chance to bow hunt your property and anybody you know that would allow me to. I live in whiteplains and bow hunting is my forte!

Old 12-12-2012, 11:33 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
You are welcome to sit in my backyard here in lower Westchester County and take as many as you possibly can. The heck with this "they were here first" attitude. So were cockroaches.
Actually cockroaches are an invasion species. Despite their common names the German Cockroach and American Cockroach, both species originate in tropical sub-Saharan Africa and the Oriental Cockroach comes from SW Asia.

In other words, it's open season on the buggers!

As far as bowhunting deer, I have had some tasty Yonkers venison. If I were a deer, I would rather be hunted and eaten by a predator (of the four legged or two legged variety) than hit by a car on the Sprain or die of chronic wasting disease or starvation due to over population.

As far as the 'we were here first' argument. By that logic, you support the hunting of the African Elephant in Africa since humans actually evolved before the modern elephant.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:49 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Actually cockroaches are an invasion species. Despite their common names the German Cockroach and American Cockroach, both species originate in tropical sub-Saharan Africa and the Oriental Cockroach comes from SW Asia.

In other words, it's open season on the buggers!

As far as bowhunting deer, I have had some tasty Yonkers venison. If I were a deer, I would rather be hunted and eaten by a predator (of the four legged or two legged variety) than hit by a car on the Sprain or die of chronic wasting disease or starvation due to over population.

As far as the 'we were here first' argument. By that logic, you support the hunting of the African Elephant in Africa since humans actually evolved before the modern elephant.

They wont get eaten around here by the four-legged variety of predator as hunters killed all those off.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:00 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
They wont get eaten around here by the four-legged variety of predator as hunters killed all those off.
No coyotes in Westchester?

Old 12-16-2012, 08:33 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
No coyotes in Westchester?
We used to have a lot of them in the stretch of Westchester from Lake Isle in Eastchester to Saxon Woods Park in Scarsdale/Mamaroneck, but I haven't seen any for the last three. years. Maybe they've just gotten better at hiding. Too many people were having their dogs and cats carried away for dinner and trappers were hired to control them. It must have worked.

It's interesting watching prey/predator cycles at work. We had an explosion of rabbits after the coyotes disappeared and red foxes showed up instead. When squirrels get too numerous, the red-tail hawks hunt the neighborhood. We had a great horned owl hunting our area this summer...I don't know what it was feasting on, but I made sure our little dog didn't go out in the backyard by himself.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:23 PM

36 posts, read 65,017 times
Not to scare the original poster, but Lyme is a very real threat around here. I live in Brewster, just north of Westchester county, and my mom has struggled with this debilitating disease for three years (or more). Doctors couldn't figure out what she had because her Lyme tests came back negative (the tests are inconclusive as we'd later learn), so they diagnosed her with everything under the sun from lupus to arthritis. Fast forward three years, she couldn't walk or move as the Lyme bacteria had riddled her entire body, and she now has to have daily IV antibiotic treatment. She is slowly starting to recover, but it has been hell to say the least. I won't even go outside in the woods anymore, nor will my future children should we live in the suburbs. They aren't just stories, I am proof that it does happen. Doctors don't believe in long-term Lyme disease, so my mom had to find a doctor in secret who would treat Lyme aggressively enough, and she doesn't take insurance so treatment costs thousands upon thousands of dollars.

I tell everyone I know to be seriously careful any time they step into the woods, no matter what. I've watched it nearly rip my family apart and nearly ruin my mom's life.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:01 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschwarz View Post

I tell everyone I know to be seriously careful any time they step into the woods, no matter what. I've watched it nearly rip my family apart and nearly ruin my mom's life.
I'm sincerely sorry to hear about your mother's suffering, it takes an enormous toll on the family. Good luck to you and her.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:13 AM

222 posts, read 540,852 times
Deer are pretty smart. Smart enough to know that in the deep woods they might get shot, but in residential neighborhoods there is less danger. All hunting does is drive deer into areas where hunting is not permitted.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:29 AM

19 posts, read 80,300 times
Our neighbor here in Ossining has 30 acres, and he allows bow hunting on his land. I love the deer, but I hate watching them starve. And they cause all kinds of accidents at night when they bound across 9A.

But to address the issue of Lyme's disease, we got guinea hens. Their favorite food: ticks.

Chickens and guinea hens are great for ticks, stink bugs and other pests. You just have to make sure you can have them in your village/town. (We can have them in the town of Ossining, but we cannot have them in the village.)

Ma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County