Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 01:29 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I think it's because LI has a lot more in the way of strip malls, sprawl, and chain stores than Westchester does. For some reason a lot of chains (Chili's and Olive Garden comes to mind) are not in Westchester, and for a lot of others, we are the last part of the NY area to get the chain (except for Manhattan), Wal-Mart, Home Depot, and PETsMART come to my mind here, they usually go to NJ and LI first, then Rockland, then Fairfield, then here. Chick-Fil-A and Sonic have put their first NY area locations in.....you guessed it....New Jersey, and I bet Long Island is next.

Both are equally expensive though. And I don't think LI is any more "pretentuous" than Westchester either, in some ways it may even be the other way around.
I grew up in Westchester and now live on LI and I approve of this post LOL. LI is pretty tacky...and Westchester is more pretentious :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 09:48 AM

264 posts, read 877,853 times
I think an important difference is that it is easier to find an affordable house in a nice area on Long Island than it is in Westchester.
Both places have affluence though.
Long Island typically has better schools too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County