U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 03:33 AM

2,754 posts, read 3,561,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
As for Woodlawn, may be more difficult trying to find a place to live. Smaller area. And as for the schools, although Woodlawn has SOME "decent" elementary schools (it's isolation saves it) the junior high schools are crap, a lot of students from outside the neighborhood (Wakefield, Norwood, ect).
PS 19 is K-8 in Woodlawn, and is a top-rated school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 09:43 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,088,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I would disagree. Southeastern Yonkers is a really nice area. McLean Ave, Dunwoodie, and the area bordering Bronxville are quite nice. With the exception of McLean ave they are certainly not as interesting as Woodlawn though. This is mainly due to these neighborhoods being composed of a lot of apartment buildings and co-ops for commuters who are taking advantage of the train stations along the Bronx River.

The bad areas of Yonkers are all west of the Sprain Brook Parkway. Just about all of the areas in Yonkers east of the Sprain Brook are nice.

These areas in Yonkers are probably nicer than Woodlawn in my opinion, and I think the schools are probably better in Yonkers as well. The major problem with Yonkers is with High school, but there are tons of private high schools in the area. The only public school in Woodlawn is the Judith K Weiss elementary school on Katonah. A lot of people from Woodlawn send their kids to St. Barnabas as well.
I'm talking about the area with all the PJ's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
PS 19 is K-8 in Woodlawn, and is a top-rated school.
Yes, Woodlawn has a few decent elementary schools (again its there isolation). However once you leave that area the schools are ****. The JHS are a joke. It's becuase of students from other areas who take the bus there.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:20 AM

2,754 posts, read 3,561,697 times
PS 19 is the only junior high school in Woodlawn, and if you live there, you are guaranteed a spot.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:10 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,172,364 times
The Projects are all in South-WEST Yonkers. South-EAST and North EAST Yonkers are the nice suburban parts of town, albeit with a lot of large apartment buildings and co-ops thrown in there near the Harlem Metro North Line.

PS 19 is the Judith Weiss school that I was referring to. Unless I am going crazy that is the only public school in Woodlawn. There is also St. Barnabas and the Lutheran parochial school, which are both private schools.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:44 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,088,108 times
Whoops south west then. I thought that was the South east side. Either way that area is ****.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:56 PM

Yeah pretty much all of the neighborhoods in Yonkers to the east of the Saw Mill River parkway are pretty nice. Once you go west of the Saw Mill River it really varies block by block.

Last edited by mead; 05-11-2007 at 01:14 PM..

Old 05-11-2007, 08:37 PM

12,263 posts, read 9,386,689 times
You do not want the Yonkers or the Mount Vernon schools. Rye and Scarsdale and Bronxville have the top schools but you got the attitude that comes with extreme wealth - not necessarily what one wants for kids. Ditto the other side - Chappaqua, Goldens Bridge etc. New Rochelle, sorry - in it, cannot recommend the high school and there are problems. You might consider Mamaroneck - except for some flooding recently with houses near a river that rose in bad weather, it is a lovely town with good school and a waterfront. Katonah has a good rep but pricey. Does it have to be NY? You could commute into NYC from CT and give yourself more variety.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:02 AM

Ok, if you don't want the schools with ghetto kids in Mount Vernon and Yonkers (to a much lesser degree!) and you want to avoid the snobbery of Bronxville & Scarsdale, I have a solution.

Eastchester. It has a very good school system, both K-8 and High School. The housing is not too expensive there, and the co-ops on Garth Road are zoned for Eastchester's schools. I don't know if this would work for a large family though as most of the co-ops on Garth rd are 2 br.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:49 PM

7 posts, read 51,113 times
thank you all for the advice. I have lots to look into...

Old 06-09-2007, 03:25 PM

6 posts, read 34,910 times
I've been in Sleepy Hollow, NY for almost a decade. It all depends whom you ask in terms of opinions of the Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow public school system. Some parents love it, some can't wait to pull their kids out and put them in private school, some want to move back to NYC, some parents don't care, and some parents can not even answer your question because they don't know English. The community is a very mixed bag. Most parents are great and there's a small percent who are ignorant. It's a very family-based community. I would say the public school is typical as that you'll find everywhere. It's not great but it's not bad if you don't want the option to pay for preK to 12 and want to drive a nice car or two, go on nice vacations, save for retirement, have a decent looking house with a landscaper and a part-time cleaning person. It's more expensive have kids of ages of newborn to preK because someone has to sacrafice their job to take care of the children/ need to hire sitters/ pay for programs for 2 and 3 yr olds. The families come from varying economic situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or