U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 11:42 AM

47 posts, read 143,973 times

Advertisements

I was looking at rentals in Mamaroneck and saw a listing near Harbor Park zoned for Central Elementary school.

Maybe I'm jaded with past experiences living near Sec 8 tenants and some pretty unruly rowdy children but I was surprised to see this listing. I thought Harbor Park (where the beach is) was supposed to be "up scale" somewhat. I'm no millionaire and couldn't keep up with them but I'm a hard working middle classer who (sorry) doesn't want the experience with Sec 8 neighbors again. I didn't know Mamaroneck was a section 8 accepting town. Sorry for being brutally honest if that offends.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:01 PM

1,513 posts, read 2,919,021 times
You might be surprised, it is that way across New York.

Nice towns get bad areas run down bad Sec. 8, and before long it spreads to nicer areas, and eventually there is no good areas.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
You might be surprised, it is that way across New York.

Nice towns get bad areas run down bad Sec. 8, and before long it spreads to nicer areas, and eventually there is no good areas.

I know, I just saw some Section 8 ads for Rockville Centre in LI. I see "bad" areas in Rockland and Westchester that border nice towns too. Where can someone go to get away from that atmosphere and still maintain that city life?

Old 09-29-2009, 05:57 AM

622 posts, read 1,527,967 times
Sorry to disappoint, but it's considered discriminatory for towns not to have some sec. 8 - no matter how upscale. It's mandated from the state. You can thank your politicians.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:39 AM

29 posts, read 129,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Momof3 View Post
I know, I just saw some Section 8 ads for Rockville Centre in LI. I see "bad" areas in Rockland and Westchester that border nice towns too. Where can someone go to get away from that atmosphere and still maintain that city life?
Since when is Rockville Center, Mamaroneck, or Rockland County considered "city life" ???

Old 10-01-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundbounder View Post
Since when is Rockville Center, Mamaroneck, or Rockland County considered "city life" ???

I see what you mean, I meant still live in a large area with safe surrounding borders where you can walk, take the bus, go downtown and never bump into what I bump into when I step away (just a few blocks) from my area. Any area of NY (or any state) that does not border what's considered 'bad' areas. As a side question, just wondering if there is any predominantly black or hispanic neighborhood, the equivalent of Rock Centre that has top schools?

Old 10-02-2009, 08:32 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,685,691 times
that area has always been diverse ethnically and economically (at least in my lifetime), I don't find it surprising at all. Only in recent years expensive shops have started to open on Mamaroneck avenue, that thoroughfare was and still is filled with mainly mom and pop stores (which create a really great atmosphere). The train station kind of serves as a divider. North of the station you have mixed, immigrant shops while south of the station you'll see those traditional norman rockwell type of shops.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:25 PM

3,756 posts, read 8,381,397 times
Westchester just lost a federal law suit and now they must put affordable housing in areas like Mamaroneck, Scarsdale, etc.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:49 AM

29 posts, read 129,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
that area has always been diverse ethnically and economically (at least in my lifetime), I don't find it surprising at all. Only in recent years expensive shops have started to open on Mamaroneck avenue, that thoroughfare was and still is filled with mainly mom and pop stores (which create a really great atmosphere). The train station kind of serves as a divider. North of the station you have mixed, immigrant shops while south of the station you'll see those traditional norman rockwell type of shops.
I agree! Mamaroneck has some expensive neighborhoods and areas, but it has always been very diverse.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Momof3 View Post
I was looking at rentals in Mamaroneck and saw a listing near Harbor Park zoned for Central Elementary school.

Maybe I'm jaded with past experiences living near Sec 8 tenants and some pretty unruly rowdy children but I was surprised to see this listing. I thought Harbor Park (where the beach is) was supposed to be "up scale" somewhat. I'm no millionaire and couldn't keep up with them but I'm a hard working middle classer who (sorry) doesn't want the experience with Sec 8 neighbors again. I didn't know Mamaroneck was a section 8 accepting town. Sorry for being brutally honest if that offends.
I'm sorry for being brutally honest too. I was born and raised in Eastchester where I know have section 8 because when I was young issues occurred where I had to leave my home and the only way to pay for my rent was through section 8. People like you are ignorant, because Eastchester is 100 times classier than Mameroneck will ever be and just because I am on section 8 doesn't make me any less classier. Im currently working on my masters in social work at a very prestigious school. That I pay for on my own. Not everyone is bad that is on section 8. We all don't do drugs and commit crimes and are lazy so before you write something so ignorant check your facts. Im going to be a social worker I know them!!!!! Btw we all have to pay a portion of the rent and if you work like I do then your portion is much higher or almost covers the whole entire rent itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County