U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2007, 01:19 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,240,303 times

Advertisements

I'm from New York State, originally, and saw this article that may be of interest to those looking to move out-of-state.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/06/ny...syahoo&emc=rss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 06:00 PM

5,464 posts, read 6,902,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I'm from New York State, originally, and saw this article that may be of interest to those looking to move out-of-state.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/06/ny...syahoo&emc=rss
School taxes go up here EVERY year. This will actually be one of the lowest increases in years!

Old 05-07-2007, 06:04 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
Wow, that's too bad. I sometimes think about moving back there, but then I think about the taxes, and I just can't do it. I don't know how people keep up there. Even if you bought a house a long time ago (like my dad), those property taxes just keep on climbing anyway. My dad pays more for his little house than I do out here in California -- it just amazes me.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:37 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,901,922 times
California isn't exactly a bargain either...in fact, i'm having a hard time thinking of an area in CA that you could possibly live that would be cheaper than NY at all? Taxes may be lower out there....but everything else is much more expensive.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:04 PM

I understand what you're saying, and maybe I just have a good deal -- I don't know. I don't live in Southern California, which seems to be where most of the complaints I hear about are from -- and San Francisco. I'm on the Central Coast. I'm also in a small town outside of Santa Cruz, so I'm not in the city proper, but in a cheaper town 6 miles away -- those 6 miles make a big difference in price -- like about $400,000 less than Santa Cruz for a house. But even rents aren't that bad -- about $1400 for a two bedroom, two bath in Santa Cruz.

It's just that each time I go back to NYS, I am surprised that wages (not NYC) but in other parts, are really low and taxes are so high, and then heating expenses, cars rusting, just the whole thing, and then I reappreciate what I have here.

I've actually crunched the numbers and I'd be much worse off there than here -- ironically. NYC is still okay, wage-wise, but housing is really high there, too. Food is no different in price, salaries are very high here, the weather is good, no high heating bills or air conditioning -- I'm surprised myself. Maybe I'm one of those few who doesn't live beyond her means here and can actually make it as a single parent. (And I do own my own home, which I bought 4 years ago.)

I was just dismayed to see more taxes going up in NYS.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:42 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,411,599 times
It really is sad...we were in white plains having dinner at cheesecake..and were surprised at how many young couples with kids were out and about enjoying the city and taking a walk.....Its a shame that to live around there is basically selling your right arm, because from what I have seen they have made some nice improvements to the downtown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County