Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 5,956 times

Advertisements

Can someone please give me a general description of the weather in south Westchester in a typical year? I'm not planning on moving there (mostly because I'm underage and am not at that point), but it is a great setting for a story I'm writing. It's set in a small fictional city against the coast. I've done a lot of looking around for two days, but I'm only able to find local weather reports, and that's not exactly what I need. The weather plays a big part in the story, and I have a basic idea of what the weather's like, but I would like to have a bit of confirmation about it.

Anything that you can tell me is fine. Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 07:12 PM

305 posts, read 1,895,080 times
Jan-March - cold weather -- usually in the 30's though it could go as low as the teens or single digits. When its sunny, the air is cool and crisp with a bit of a bite. Doesn't rain a whole lot though it sometimes snows (usually we get 1-2 big storms). Icy roads can be an issue. It is dark when I wake up (before 7) and dark when I am going home
April - usually in the 40's-60's, people want to dress for Spring but its still a bit chilly, esp in the morning. Need a light jacket. It may rain more often in the Spring, bit still more sunny days than rainy days but it does tend to rain more in April. We may get a surprise frosty day (snowed on MLB opening day one year in mid-April)
May-June - 50-70s- spring is here, opentoe shoes for women come out of the closet. Still need some type of light jacket in the morning.Flowers are blooming, sun feels good, no humidity.
July-Aug- 80-90's. Hot and mostly humid though this year humid days were low. The humidity is brutal - wet, sticky and uncomfortable and leads to thunderstorms.
Sept - 70's-80's - Indian summer - weather is still warm but mostly in the 70's. Not too much rain
Oct- 50-60's Weather is getting cooler. Mid-Late Oct, the weather starts dropping to the 40's, esp in the morning. Time to turn the heat on if you haven't already. Again, not too much rain. Boots start coming out for women
Nov-Dec - usually in the 30's-40's though known to get cooler in late December. Usually we don't get snow until after Xmas but there have been surprises. Definitely need to start warming up the car in the AM and get out the hat, scarf and gloves - esp for the kids.

Hope this helps

Old 10-14-2009, 05:22 AM

2 posts, read 5,956 times
It helps a lot. It's exactly what I need. Thank you, and especially about which shoes the women wear.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:22 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
Pretty much the same ones they wear in Ohio in similar weather.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:02 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
It's basically NY City's weather, just a tiny bit (and I emphasize tiny) colder, but nothing like the difference between say NYC and Albany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County