Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2009, 01:12 PM

175 posts, read 421,819 times

Advertisements

I'm pruning my library and have about 150 hardbacks and quality paperbacks that I'm interested in selling, mostly academic books (not textbooks) on literature and history. I'd rather not have to schlep them into the city to sell them at the Strand or somewhere similar; are there any used bookstores in Westchester that would be likely to take them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 01:55 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,894 times
Bookstore in Peeksill is worth a call:

Bruised Apple Books - New and Used Books, Records, CD's, and Movies

Old 10-22-2009, 09:10 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,306,530 times
I second bruised apple, thats a great bookstore for used books and older music (and novelties like old comic books etc).

There's also another store on the other side of that block (I can't remember the street name at the moment) called Retrovato consignments. They also have a good store full of antiques and used items, and its run by some very nice and down to earth people.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:20 PM

26 posts, read 228,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
I second bruised apple, thats a great bookstore for used books and older music (and novelties like old comic books etc).

There's also another store on the other side of that block (I can't remember the street name at the moment) called Retrovato consignments. They also have a good store full of antiques and used items, and its run by some very nice and down to earth people.
Just noticed today that Retrovato is closed, no longer there...too bad.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:58 AM

95 posts, read 431,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the H. View Post
Just noticed today that Retrovato is closed, no longer there...too bad.
Retrovato didn't close - it just moved to a new location on South Street last year -- as far as I know, it's still open.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:28 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,306,530 times
Yeah Retrovato moved around the corner, they're still open! I make the trek up there every now and then to support them, great people.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 8,105 times
i have a lot of romance novels and there are kids books and some mistrey books and other books i have several boxs and would like to know where is the closest location to me. i live in freeville ny plz let me know for these books would look nice on someones shelf it is a shame that i have to get rid of half of my books do to lack of space for them.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:49 AM

1 posts, read 4,545 times
Default Used Books in Westchester NY

New York Book Department in Tarrytown buys used and rare books in Westchester, NY. They come pick up your books and pay cash. Located at 29 Central Ave, their number is (914) 564-6527.

http://www.newyorkbookdepartment.com

Old 11-11-2015, 09:20 AM

22 posts, read 42,383 times
The thing out the Strand Bookstore in Manhattan is that they particularly look for books that are sought after by specific collectors, some apparently rather wealthy collectors. Most of the books that you bring in there, while they may look special and valuable to you and me, they will dismiss as run-of-the-mill and unimportant because they frequently see them. They can at times be rude and dismissive when you show these to them and will often only give you a dollar or two. But if you have a book that is highly sought after by one or more of these collectors, even if it looks innocuous to you and me, they may buy it from you at a very handsome price. This seems to be especially true of first additions.

Evidently, some of these wealthy collectors are interested in first addition PAPERBACKS! Not aware of this, I was shocked at what happened when my wife brought in a bunch of old books there. They were unimpressed with the selection until they got to a mint condition, first addition paperback novel from the 1930s. The guy got very excited, said it was a "real find" and, after getting the approval from the store manager, payed her $500.00. No lie. God only knows what they were able to sell it for. I can only imagine that somewhere in NYC, in the extremely wealthy corners of the metropolis, there are very rich collectors who are competing with each other to get very specific types of books.

If I might hazard a guess, you might get a much better price in Westchester for what most people would consider to be very impressive books. Interested myself in selling-off my father's old library, I have been putting aside my own first additions for a trip down there. But its probably like the lottery. You have to get lucky.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:30 AM

175 posts, read 421,819 times
Wow, I started this thread back in 2009. Time flies.

What I ended up doing was driving up to New Haven and dropping several boxes off at Book Trader. They're on the Yale campus, so they cater to an academic clientele and will buy university press monographs. I figured the trip up I-95 was quicker and easier than trying to find convenient parking in the East Village.

At the time, I called Bruised Apple and was told that they didn't buy collections in bulk. Still the best bookstore in Westchester, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County