U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 10:54 AM

701 posts, read 2,927,841 times

Advertisements

"But it must be becoming more common, I've heard rumors that Mt. Vernon (extreme lower Westchester) is thinking of changing the cutoff from Jan. 1 to Sept. 1. Yes, September 1 !!!!!"

Actually, I heard there is consideration to making September 1 the statewide standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 01:21 PM

815 posts, read 1,988,245 times
There is at least one private school around here where the cut-off is JUNE 1st. Crazy. However, in many parts of the country the cut-off is September 1 - as in, you must be 5 on the day school starts to enter Kindergarten. It's not that uncommon.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:51 PM

101 posts, read 402,813 times
There are actually only a few states that do not have a sept.1 or earlier cut-off date. NY and CT are a rarity with the dec.1 or later cut-off date. In NY- it is for economic reasons. Many NYC private schools have June 1 cut-off date. I agree with dma- that while there are exceptions to the rule- most boys who start kindergarten at 4 or recently 5 may struggle. It is a whole new kindergarten and no one wants their child to struggle or start to be disenchanted w school and learning at an early age. The reason I said "boys" is because girls are "typically" 9 months ahead of boys in development during the early elementary school years. It is a tough call- but no one wants to have the youngest, smallest boy in the class- because it may be tough for them. Some may not be bothered a bit by it. I think it hits their self-confidence though. Boys are fragile little creatures. But ultimately- it comes down to the child. I have heard that in Westchester schools,CT and I think nationwide- there are not too many boys starting kindergarten at 4. was just wondering how true it was. will be a tough call. thanks!

Old 10-29-2009, 09:49 PM

9,028 posts, read 14,810,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia32 View Post
There are actually only a few states that do not have a sept.1 or earlier cut-off date. NY and CT are a rarity with the dec.1 or later cut-off date. In NY- it is for economic reasons. Many NYC private schools have June 1 cut-off date. I agree with dma- that while there are exceptions to the rule- most boys who start kindergarten at 4 or recently 5 may struggle. It is a whole new kindergarten and no one wants their child to struggle or start to be disenchanted w school and learning at an early age. The reason I said "boys" is because girls are "typically" 9 months ahead of boys in development during the early elementary school years. It is a tough call- but no one wants to have the youngest, smallest boy in the class- because it may be tough for them. Some may not be bothered a bit by it. I think it hits their self-confidence though. Boys are fragile little creatures. But ultimately- it comes down to the child. I have heard that in Westchester schools,CT and I think nationwide- there are not too many boys starting kindergarten at 4. was just wondering how true it was. will be a tough call. thanks!
Because of a fall birthday (today!) I started kindergarten at 4 (albeit 37 years ago!) and was fine (of course my 5th birthday was only 1 3/4 months away).

I'm curious, what would be the "economic reasons" in NY for not having a Sept. 1 cutoff date? And havoc315, my wife says she heard it may be statewide too, thanks for correcting.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:25 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,565,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Because of a fall birthday (today!) I started kindergarten at 4 (albeit 37 years ago!) and was fine (of course my 5th birthday was only 1 3/4 months away).
37 years ago Kindergarten consisted of building with blocks, drawing, pretend play, and dress-up. The curriculum was open-ended exploration, learning about the community, and developing self-esteem and social skills. 20 years ago (when I taught Kindergarten) that was still the primary focus. Today Kindergarten has daily direct and intentional instruction in sound/letter correspondence, vocabulary and grammar, concepts of print, spelling, writing, reading comprehension, and fluency. Most schools have weekly assessments beginning in K. There is small group differentiated instruction for additional practice on critical skills. There are Intervention programs for kindergarten students who are falling dangerously behind. In short, it bears absolutely no resemblance to the kindergarten you--or I--attended.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:28 PM

101 posts, read 402,813 times
7 wishes- I have heard that in NY there is not a statewide cut-off date due to large metropolitan areas, with families that would not be able to afford another year of daycare. Many say it is unfair to hold a child back, because there are many that are not able to do so, but would like to. California has the late cut-off date for the same reasons.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:14 PM

9 posts, read 114,223 times
We recently started our daughter with an October birthday in public Kindergarten at age 4. At her school I'd estimate that 2/3 of the fall birthdays are held back and one-third start at age 4. Girls are more likely to start than boys. I really do think it's a case-by-case situation. I think we made the right decision for our daughter because she's bright, mature, and has always preferred hanging out with older kids. She loves Kindergarten and finds it easy, and I think she would be bored if she were doing this a year from now. But it does seem to be more common to hold fall birthdays back (especially the boys), and I think you have to decide which would give your child a better Kindergarten experience. I think the only downside you have to weigh is that if kids are held back and become bored, they can act out and do worse in school. Good luck - it's a hard decision!

Old 11-05-2009, 06:53 AM

9,028 posts, read 14,810,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
37 years ago Kindergarten consisted of building with blocks, drawing, pretend play, and dress-up. The curriculum was open-ended exploration, learning about the community, and developing self-esteem and social skills. 20 years ago (when I taught Kindergarten) that was still the primary focus. Today Kindergarten has daily direct and intentional instruction in sound/letter correspondence, vocabulary and grammar, concepts of print, spelling, writing, reading comprehension, and fluency. Most schools have weekly assessments beginning in K. There is small group differentiated instruction for additional practice on critical skills. There are Intervention programs for kindergarten students who are falling dangerously behind. In short, it bears absolutely no resemblance to the kindergarten you--or I--attended.
Didn't think about that (and should've, as I know Kindergarten was very much like that for my own kids (now age 8 and 6) and not like I remember it). Thanks for noting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia32 View Post
7 wishes- I have heard that in NY there is not a statewide cut-off date due to large metropolitan areas, with families that would not be able to afford another year of daycare. Many say it is unfair to hold a child back, because there are many that are not able to do so, but would like to. California has the late cut-off date for the same reasons.
I didn't think about that. Would make sense for CT too (which I know also varies the cutoff). My sister-in-law lives in NC and used to live in NY and MA (in fact she taught in MA and at least back in the 90s when she did there was a variable town-by-town cutoff) and she was annoyed that the Sept. 1 cutoff meant her daughter (born in Dec.) had to either be in pre-K or just stay home another year (she's a SAHM right now).

Old 11-05-2009, 12:05 PM

264 posts, read 756,836 times
Sometimes, if you're lucky, it can work the other way around.
I was born on January of 1982 and got to start Kindergarten in September of 1986..
My parents had to petition to the school board that I was ready for kindergarten..
I don't think it really matters how old you are when you start- some people mature intellectually faster than others though..

Old 08-22-2010, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 7,383 times
As a teacher having a earlier cutoff in CT is a fab idea!!!! Most parents do no take into account he good of their child when starting them too early therefor I feel that we need the law. As much as it pains me to have the government tell us what to do. K is the 1st grade we has as kids! It's HARD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County